Fetto Custom, Fetto Nord

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JoeBob, Jan 24, 2012.

1. JoeBob

JoeBob Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me more about those, i was thinking of giving one a try !
    Can you compare to another box out there ?
    Thx

2. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

I have the Fetto Nord and I love it. It reminds me of a Fulltone OCD on steroids. Stock it sounds like the OCD in LP mode with improved dynamics and a wider gain range. You can switch some internal settings and make it sound similar to the OCD in HP mode (which is where I have it set).

The boost function is great as well. You can route the boost to come before or after the overdrive. You can also use each channel separately or together. Pretty clean boost, lots of output, and adds some high end sparkle.

It's the perfect "amp on the edge of breakup" sound in my opinion. I can have the gain cranked on 80% and without even touching the volume on my guitar, I can fingerpick clean passages, and dig in for distorted leads..... it's great!

3. 66Park

66Park Member

They are a completely original design, and don't really remind me of anything else. I think they are fantastic. I own four Fettos and do the Himmelstrutz demos, so if you have any specific questions, fire away, and I'd be happy to answer them.

4. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

I was just looking at the site and it is hard to tell what's an OD, what's a distortion and what's a fuzz. The pedal descriptions are not that clear. I still don't really know what a Gramps Plus is.

I will say the new Tonker pedal looks pretty cool. 66Park, do you have any experience with it?

5. 66Park

66Park Member

Fettos are ods. The Gramps+ is a fuzz. I have the only Tonker besides the prototype, and I did the demos for it. All of Joakim's pedals are extremely versatile, which at times makes them difficult to describe. The Tonker is used as either a standalone low gain od or a booster. The Tonk control is unique, in my experience. Turned counterclockwise, it is much like a traditional treble booster. Turned clockwise, it is a more full frequency sound with more drive. There is a three way gain switch, a mid switch, and treble and bass controls. There are three demos that I did of it on youtube now, and there are three or four more that should be posted shortly. I love the pedal, and convinced Joakim to finally release it.

6. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

I just watched a bunch of your demo vids, they are fantastic. Thanks for pointing me toward them. I really like that TONKer. It seems like a great OD.

7. 66Park

66Park Member

Thanks! I wish Joakim would get the rest of the Tonker vids up, but his computer is dying on him, and he's getting another, so it might be a couple days. The Tonker is really a cool pedal for guys that are open to something different and have the ability to be creative with it. It is such a different design that Joakim really wasn't sure if he should put it out. He built me one, I loved it, and came up with a lot of sounds and uses for it that were different from what he had been doing with it. It's extremely versatile, as all of his designs are. It won't appeal to guys that love tubescreamers most likely, but I find it really useful, and of course it stacks incredibly well with his other pedals.

8. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

Is there one pedal that stands out among the rest as the one to own (or at least try out)?

9. 66Park

66Park Member

Not really. I love them all. I'd be happy to make a recommendation if you tell me what kind of sound you might need and what guitar and amp you are using.

10. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for that. I looked at the website and the demos and still couldn't tell what was what.

11. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Really?!? The OCD? Wow, I dont hear that AT ALL. I love my Fetto Nord and I think the OCD v3 I have is really lame. Not knocking you btw. Different strokes...

12. 66Park

66Park Member

Really simply, it's a low gain od or a booster with some unique tone control. Perhaps if you could let me know what isn't clear to you, I could explain it.

13. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

So the Fetto Standard isn't made anymore and it's the one with the lowest gain, is that correct? Also, seems like the Fitzo is gone as well. So which Fetto pedal would get me in this overdrive territory? Thanks! :

14. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

Well the TONKer definitely appeals to me. I am a total tube screamer guy but I would like to have different flavor of OD on my board. I have a Blackstar amp and I like using the gain channel of my amp - but not totally dimed. I like a medium amount of gain on the amp and then I like to push it with an OD/TS. I just like how ODs and TSs color the amp. I have used MXR, OCD, Timmy, etc in the past. Just haven't been all that impressed with tones I was getting from those.

I don't really use my clean channel with and OD or distortion. I just don't like the sound of pedal distortion and an OD on the clean channel is not enough gain or saturation for me.

I use Ibanez and ESP guitars. I use Dimarzio humbuckers in most of my guitars and use EMGs in two of my ESPs.

15. 66Park

66Park Member

From what you describe, I think the Tonker might be great for you. Just be aware that it won't sound anything at all like a tube screamer, but if you like the sounds in the demos, go for it.

16. 66Park

66Park Member

Unfortunately, I can't see that video from my phone. The fetto standard had the same amount of gain as all the other Fettos, it just had less features, so it didn't sell as well and was discontinued. The Fitzo is available, and it's the lowest gain pedal in the line.

EDIT: Well, since that's a video of the Fitzo, they are available. You just have to special order one. I tried to talk Joakim into making a Fitzo Deluxe that would be a combination of the Fitzo and UO like in that video, but he didn't think there would be enough interest. Also, a Fetto is very much in that gain range. It's a little less rough sounding.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  17. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

I guess I haven't owned a ton of OD pedals.... but out of the ones I do own, I still think the OCD is closest to the Fetto sound.

It definitely doens't sound like my tubescreamer, crunchbox, or Mesa distortions.

18. JoeBob

JoeBob Supporting Member

Thx for the infos. Now i'm struggling between a Fetto Custom and A Cornish SS-3.
    Someone ??

19. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Well, the Fetto is cheaper :rotflmao

20. JoeBob

JoeBob Supporting Member

You're right on that. But i'm getting to the point of thinking that
    the SS-3 might be ''The overdrive'', a friend of mine has 2, they're amazing...so instead of buying a 30th overdrive, why don't get the real thing and get the overdrive department close !!
    Well, get some part of it covered !