Fetto custom + RC booster??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PG-Lane, Jan 23, 2012.

1. PG-Lane

PG-Lane Member

Hi guys I am planning on getting the Fetto custom. I am really liking the sounds I have been hearing from it. I am thinking of stacking it up with another pedal for lead parts to give me a signing tone and more sustain. Is the RC booster a good option for this kind of stuff? What would be a good pedal to pair the Fetto with for the reasons mentioned and also probably a bit more variety. I mainly play with humbuckers and have got a Laney tube amp. Cheers

2. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Himmelstrutz Under Over ;)

If you cant afford that, really any TS-type pedal will do the job just fine. If you prefer a flatter/non-midhump boost try the Boss Blues Driver or the OD3. Both work exceptionally well as clean/semiclean boosts and can be had very cheap.

3. 66Park

66Park Member

Without a doubt. The Under Over was made specifically to boost a Fetto. It has bass, mid, and volume knobs. The frequencies that the tone controls are set at work perfectly with a Fetto. Save your money for one. It's worth it.

4. gurnisht

gurnisht Member

Are you sure about that? Did you hear this from Joakim?
    Thanks.

5. markmantle

markmantle Member

If you cant afford the under over.. which is the obvious choice, both the RC booster and Timmy have worked well for me as well.. but I have a Nord, so I have an "under over" inspired boost included... which does sound the best, although I have moved it "post" fetto, which I think is great as well, and I use a Tim to boost the nord.

6. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

@gurnisht
    Well, The Fetto Nord is a Fetto "cross-fertilized" with an UnderOver so yeah, they are made to work together.

7. 66Park

66Park Member

I just asked Joakim about this, and he said that yes, it was designed to boost the Fetto. He also wanted it to sound good after a Fetto or into an amp, which, of course, it does, but mostly he uses it to push a Fetto and sometimes his Marshall. It will obviously sound great boosting other drive pedals as well.

8. teleclem

teleclem Member

The Tim/my works great boosting the Fetto. Really good. I have a Nord though, so my friend's going to get my Tim.

9. PG-Lane

PG-Lane Member

thanks for the info guys, looks like i have got to save some more money for the under over ;) What other drive pedals go well along with the Fetto custom?

10. 66Park

66Park Member

Tonker.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. PG-Lane

PG-Lane Member

another question. Do any of you run the Fetto custom at 12V? Does it produce better results in terms of head room etc. compared to running it at 9V? Also what would be the difference between running "Timmy + Fetto custom" and "Under over + Fetto custom"...not to mention the price difference ;)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  12. 66Park

66Park Member

I like the Fettos best at 12v. Better depends on what you are looking for. 12v will give you more punch and headroom and also a bit less drive. You might like it better a 9v, though. It's more compressed, has more drive, and is a bit sweeter sounding that way. Your preference might be different with different amps as well. For instance, you might like the 12v sound better with a low powered amp and the 9v setting better with a high powered amp. If you've got a Pedal Power 2+, it's easy to experiment and find what you like.

13. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

66 - Nice! Been waiting to hear the Tonker. Thanks for the vids. So what exactly is it?

OP - I usually boost everything with my DAM Red Rooster for extra nastiness, works well with all my pedals, including the Custom. For "more of what you got" switching the jumper on my Nord 70 to post boost gave it a "bigger" sound. I like it pre. Theres another thread here somewhere that describes how Fettos work at different voltages.

Fettos play really well with others, try out what you can afford. I personally like a Custom into an HBOD. Although, Im selling my Custom, why?, to get a Gramps+ of course! Been using fuzzes as OD's of late. Dig the grit.

14. 66Park

66Park Member

It's a CosmoSonic low gain overdrive/booster! Seriously, it's unlike anything I've ever played. The description on Joakim's website is the best we could come up with. http://www.himmelstrutz.com/tonker.htm I suggest reading that and listening to the demos. I did six or seven, and they should all be up shortly. That hopefully will give you a pretty good idea of what it's about.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  15. PG-Lane

PG-Lane Member

Thanks for the info. So you reckon a "Fetto custom + HBOD" would be a better fit for me than a " Fetto custom + timmy" if I was looking for a bit more variety in terms of tonal options. I know it's really subjective but it's hard for me to get hold of these pedals here, so I would like to know as much as possible before i take the (expensive) plunge ;)

16. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

Custom > HBOD will color your tone more, and thats why I like it... I prefer a "fuzzier" OD sound. This will give you two totally different OD tones and more tonal options. Remember the Custom is super tweakable, lots of uses in this box alone.

I think the thing for you is asking yourself if you want that Fetto sound or not. If you do, then I think 66 is dead on, UO into the Custom will get you a better/seamless Fetto crunch. UO sounds great all by itself too. But it is pricey...

Id say grab the Custom, see if you like it, then throw whatever pedals you have laying around into and after it to get an idea of what you may want.

17. gurnisht

gurnisht Member

Does the Fetto > HBOD sound like two pedals stacked, or like one pedal? I mean extra noise, dynamics, etc.
    I love the sound of the Fetto, but I wouldn't mind a "fuzzier" sound too :)
    thanks.

18. teleclem

teleclem Member

+1 on how the HBOD will be more colored (I've owned that too apart from the Timmy & Tim).

19. pennylink

pennylink Member

I have a Gramps+ on the way which is supposed to cover the fuzzier end of OD/distortion.

20. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

The Custom >HBOD will give you more dynamics because of the color of the latter. It will not sound like one pedal as if you ran a dirt into a clean boost. HBOD does that "sag" thang that I now adore, but its not as dramatic like kicking on a DS1 after a TS808. Fettos are clean (pure sounding) and crunchy ****ers, they adapt well.

Honestly Himmel boxes are made to play in a band mix. They sound compressed and flat to me at home, but with the band they shine. Except for the Nord70, thats my fav so far...I like THAT sound. The only pedal that kinda sounds like a Custom that Ive played is the Model H, the latter isnt as compressed but less tweakable. I like both.

Given I play low output pickups, results will vary.