1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fetto vs Stone Grey

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Webfoot, May 20, 2011.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

i have played both - and really like both.

although there are quite a few different "flavors" of Fetto, so it's hard to compare.

the Fetto is a very juicy and dynamic distortion, and a very very good one.

the Stone Grey is a bit more articulate and clean-sounding, even with all that gain. it has less compression and a sharper attack to my ears than the Fetto.

the Stone Grey sound more "modern rock", for lack of better verbiage.

the Fetto sounds a bit more 80s/90s rock.

BOTH are fantastic takes on high gain distortion.

but the Stone Grey is $169 - so that kinda is a WIN for Mad Professor ;)

3. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

The Stone Grey (I haven't played but I have played the Cliffhanger, on which it's based) is much more of a high gain distortion, to me. You could play metal or very hard rock with it. The Fetto goes from low gain overdrive to higher gain, but not full on high gain distortion. The Fetto is more touch sensitive and dynamic and really more versatile IMO. It's a very good overdrive (that can sort of get into distortion range, but really sits mainly in the med-high gain OD camp) and SG is a really good distortion. A really good, touch sensitive overdrive, with that much clarity and big, tight low end, as well as that much range of gain and usability in the tone knob and internal adjustments, is a harder thing to find than a great high gain distortion, in my humble opinion. There are several versions of the Fetto, but there is only one that has a completely different sound, the Fetto Nord '70, which is a completely re-voiced and changed 70's rock take on the Fetto. The Fetto Standard, Custom, Deluxe, and Nord, are all the same basic pedal. They have the same circuit and sound, but with different features. The Nord had an independent boost section, the Custom has extra external knobs instead of internal controls, the Standard is the simple on the outside one, on which all the others are based, etc.

4. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

The Stone Grey sounds amazing, but I wouldn't call it more articulate from what I've heard. That said I can't wait to get my hands on one!

5. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I agree. And same here, I loved the Cliffhanger and will be getting an SG once they become available in the US for the $169 price.

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I'm glad you two chimed in because I'd never tried a Stone Grey ;)

Based on the clips alone it seemed that the SG was definitely more buzzy, as a tight, modern distortion sound should be. I think the SG would be great to go head-to-head with the Suhr Riot, but it's not something I would immediately think of comparing to a Fetto. The Fetto sounds more like plugging into a cranked amp, with all the warmth and slight squish (but definitely enough attack to be articulate). If you want a similar sound out of a Fetto, hit it with a low gain pedal or boost and hear it get into that SG territory if you wish. The Fetto covers more of the 70's through the 90's, whereas I hear more of the late 90's through the 2000's with the SG.

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

Well I haven't tried it personally, only a Cliffhanger 1 but that was ages ago so take my opinion with a grain of salt on this one. I can especially hear from Bobby's demo w/ the Schecter Tele that the SG *is* very articulate and could very well be a major home run. I just can't really imagine anything being *more* articulate than my Fetto custom. That is it's bread and butter.

Too early for comparisons I say-- let's let the SG get out there and prove itself before we start speculating too much. All signs point to WIN though :aok

8. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I have been looking for a good dirt pedal and was hoping the TC Dark Matter would be it with the adjustable bass. But some of the demos sounded like the TC was voiced a bit ragged but don't really know.

Fetto questions...

So the fetto with the boost with only makes it louder and does not add to the amount of dirt for the most part?

Is the boost pre or post dirt?

Does the boost work by itself as good as a katana?

Stone Grey questions...

When and where is it available?

9. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

The Fetto Nord's boost is based on the Himmelstrutz Under Over boost, which is supposed to be amazing, and judging from the Nord, it's great. The difference is the Under Over has more knobs to tweak and the Nord just has the boost-amount knob. It CAN be used on it's own, something I do all the time. When you get a Nord, it is set up for pre-dirt boosting, so it mainly boosts the amount of gain (giving the Nord a whole new dynamic over the other Fetto's). However, you can internally configure it so that the boost is post-dirt, and that way it boosts overall volume. The Stone Grey is available in Europe (I think an online dealer called "these go to 11" has them. I don't remember how they spell it for the web address, but I think that's the right online store) but it's more expensive that way. I almos bought one, but I think it was still going to be something like $240. I'm sure they will be available in the US soon for the normal price.

10. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

can you compare the nords boost tone? can it be klonish? super hard on like? Seegs said on its own it was more like a rangemaster treble boost. Which to me is exactly the opposite of what I like in a boost.

11. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I personally don't understand/agree with the treble boost thing. It doesn't remind me of a treble booster at all. Maybe the way a treble booster can boost an overdrive for more gain, but you get more of everything when using the Nord boost. More low end, high end, and gain. It's a big sounding, full-range booster to my ears. It's not really as complex as the Klon because it isn't an overdrive and it doesn't have an EQ. It's a sparkly, nice sounding FET clean boost. With the sound and with the single knob, it's more along the lines of an SHO or EP Booster. It doesn't add much character, just a little sweetness, like the EP or SHO. I personally like it better than both of those. Some might find it to lack a little head-room on it's own with high output humbuckers. Not when used in conjunction with the Fetto dirt tone, or to boost another pedal, but when it's on it's own. By itself, if you really hit the strings hard with high output pickups, it can break up a little. I would say it's a little less compressed than the EP booster. It does achieve unity gain which is a plus.

12. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

thanks I guess I just have to try one

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

IIRC...I never specified the type of treble boost only that mine add highs and brightens things up and acts like a TB...mine is definitely not a neutral fullrange boost...it accentuates the highs IME...my bud Chrissy has one that is pre-S/N 97 (without the mid-jumpers) and his is even brighter than mine...

Chow,
    Seegs

14. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

15. mjm59

mjm59 Member

Having just listened to my buddy's Exotic EP boost the other night, I would compare the Nord boost more akin to that pedal. If you turn it up enough past 12 o'clock, it will definitely hit the amp with gain/grit, but otherwise, it adds a pleasant fatness equally over all the frequencies.

16. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

it's interesting you brought up the RIOT - that;
    's one of the only newer pedals that bjorn has commented on to me, saying it sounded really interesting....

17. edgie

edgie Member

+1. I wrote about it on my Nord review last year and I find that it's more comparable to an Echoplex boost type than a rangemaster-type pedal which scoops out bass. I was able to try it side by side with my friend's Xotic EP.

18. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I run the jumpers in my Nord all to the left. I get more openness and upper mids that way, and the UO boost comes in after the Fetto.
    I use my Klone after it as a boost, and a Timmy before it to stack for more gain. I set the Nord boost kinda around unity which doesn't add more volume insofar as it kinda opens up the distortion spread and makes the pedal sound really wide open. Such an inspiring distortion sound, totally nails that Foo Fighters "Color and the Shape" guitar sound.
    But the Nord is such a versatile pedal. I'm discovering new sounds in it while being blown away in the process!

19. DavidG

DavidG Member

Damn, makin music just got stock in yesterday and sold out already (cry).

Did get my name on the list for next batch, tho.:mad:

20. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Patience, young Jedi...