Few questions about the Eventide Timefactor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soulgolem, May 31, 2015.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Anyone here care to share their experiences with the Eventide Timefactor ? I have a few questions :

I heard some nice chorus samples from it, but can you also make phasers and flangers ? (without delay)

And about that chorus setting... i heard it in set up in stereo in a youtube vid... but compared to the delays it didn't have much stereo imaging going on, could it be just that the preset was programmed like that ? Can you make one that's very wide ? Let's say your source is mono to begin with. (again without delay)

Can you make pitch shifting effects by tweaking the tempo knob with high feedback into self oscillation when the time knobs are set to subdivisions ?

2. td2243

td2243 Member

Get an H9. You can do all the stuff that the Timefactor can do, PLUS the effects you are also wanting.

You can do a good chorus with the TF, but I doubt that you could fake a phaser or flanger as easily. Certainly not a pitch shifter I don't think.

3. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

The H9 would be ideal as i also need reverb, but it's so much money and impossible to find used, unlike the sheer number of timefactors in local ads. Plus i'd need an extra midi footswitch to switch presets on the fly and some extra knobs so i can tweak the delays into space UFO madness. This would end up costing a lot of money i don't have.

4. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

5. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Phaser and flangers without delay? Maybe, set the time of both delays very low and feedback quite high and you might like it. I don't.

Chorus very wide? Kinda. Don't expect JC120's wideness.

Pitch shifting by tweaking time knobs? No, but can accomplish some weird ring modulator-ish stuff.

H9 Core comes with H910/949 algorithm, which it's the most versatile algorithm and it will help you to create A LOT of different presets.
    And you can get another algorithm with the free coupon (if you buy new), I would use it to get the ModEchoVerb or BlackHole from the Eventide Space and that will cover a lot of areas.

If you want one of the best delay/looper pedals ever made for a good price, then get a used Timefactor.

6. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

Time Factor is a really good sounding delay pedal - my fav. delay... But its a delay and the chorus for example is a preset which abuses the two delay lines which you can tweak for sure to a "wider" sound. But again, it is a delay pedal and the chorus is build on the delays. There are stock presets in the Time Factor for a Leslie type sound, a Volumeswell, flanger and Ringmod. But like the chorus it is build out of the delays and/or abuses the modulation which offers the time factor. its fun to play with those presets, but its a pain to build a modulation effect on your own. - because it is a dealy... a great delay with many many options. no matter how much you are into knob twiddling, its hard to get a chorus/flanger etc. Also, this modulations are more in the digital clean ballpark. the delay itself can mimic many delay flavours and sounds great.

If you try one out, make sure to get an expression pedal. Especially on the modulation-presets it opens a new world to have an epxression pedal. Pitchshifting is possible via expression pedal and with the right preset too. But like the other stuff, its not the kind of pitchshifting you will expect. - hard to explain...

you can change the access mode which can give you direct changes to the parameters by knob turning, but it will not do the trick like other delays.

if you are in the position to buy a new time factor, maybe the H9 stuff is also intressting for you. the eventide stuff sounds great, fits into the most situations and eventide support is solid.

but again, for chorus (especially by the questions you posted) i would look into a dedicated chorus or maybe into the Mod Factor.

7. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

well sayd! i was thinking to much while writing my post :)