Few tunes from my band. :)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by jeffrey, May 14, 2006.

1. jeffrey

jeffrey Member

We're nearing completion of mixing and mastering for our freshmen release and I thought I'd just post a few MP3's. :RoCkIn

Now, be warned, this is music of more of a metal-genre, but I try and be tasteful/appropriate to the tune. :)

I'm just going to post links to a few tunes that have solos in them (being a guitar player, I like solos too!).

For the record, I double-track everything; one panned hard left, one panned hard right (including solos except where it didn't sound right).

Stand: Heavy southern-rock influenced tune. Really fun solo to play. :)

No Halo: Really fun song live, very emotional in a lot of ways. I really enjoy playing the solo. The quiet part is a single track.

Venom of God: This is just a brutal song in general. The tune itself is tough to play, the solo is tough and I sing backups. I hate this song! lol First part of solo (legato/wah part) is one track.

I have other MP3's, but I figured I'd just post a few instead of bombarding people with tunes.

I apologize in advance if the genre isn't acceptable, I've never posted any tunes here so I'm unsure of what most folks do and don't like. :)

Thanks!

*edit* Weird, my post count is 1 again. :eek: Not that I had a bunch, but I had a few before!

2. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Not my thing, but I liked the "NO Halo" tune.:YinYang

3. jeffrey

jeffrey Member

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Wow I thought all the tunes were awesome, your solos were very Impressive loved the doubling effect you had on some parts!

5. jeffrey

jeffrey Member

That wasn't an effect, I actually double-tracked it all (played it twice, one left, one right). :)

Thanks for the compliments! :D

6. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

Liked it :). It's not my style of choice, but I appreciate the musicianship. Nice raw production. Are you anti-reverb? Everything sounds pretty dry right now (I know you said that you were still finishing). Of course, I don't listen to much metal; maybe reverb is bad in metal. (I'm thinking tasteful use on the vocals and drums. I dig the dry guitars.)

Nice playing, too! I love the no-rhythm-guitar-during-solo thing. Reminds me of Godsmack. Just drums and bass to backup the solo. Guitar-wise, there's a good contrast between ambient, late Van Halen-ish sounds (Balance album) and smooth fast passages.

7. jeffrey

jeffrey Member

Thanks for listening. :)

We're not anti-reverb (or anti-anything for that matter), we just want the faster/busier stuff to be clean and clear. I find time-based effects, if not used carefully (like verb and delay) can just mud things up, take away the clarity per se. Which is a badthing. :eek:

I don't do rhythm guitar during solos because we don't have one. I'm very big on the "live" sound. We're very much a live band, so I want that to reflect in our recordings. :)

Thank you for the compliments and for taking the time to listen. :)

8. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

Hey man, word to the 'live' sound idea. I also totally understand where you're coming from regarding clarity (as well as the way-too-often overuse of delay and reverb). I didn't mean any criticism by that; I was just curious :). I come from the 'dry school' myself! My taste for less-is-more comes mostly from fear of sounding 80's-ish, though!!

Best of luck with the rest of the project! Sounds great.

9. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Well, alright then. If you have seen the Movie, Team America, then you will get this reference;

“You’ve got balls…I like balls.”

This stuff is seriously heavy duty judy. I’m so &^ing sick and tired of modern rock radio bull-(&^ that is basically blue collar light jazz, don’t wake up the baby metal. It is totally lacking in the danger department.

Your music, on the other hand, has the danger element that I miss so much in rock these days. Lastly, call me a Yankee looser, but I do hope at least you are avoiding the Zack W., Bottelcaps in the guitar and Confederate Flag shtick.

10. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

Damn nice and heavy. Loved the solo work, epsecially the double tracking!!

11. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Cool! The guitar sounds are great and solos were sweet.
    Like a couple others I'm not into this genre of tuneage
    but I sure appreciate the sound, production, sweat and talent.
    Great job!

12. jeffrey

jeffrey Member

Wow, thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate the feedback and compliments! :)

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to listen. If you are interested in hearing more stuff, I have 7 other songs (not all have solos) on a streaming flash-based MP3 player on our website (www.13muses.com). The link to the MP3 player is on the 'splash' page. :)

13. jeffrey

jeffrey Member

I do like effects, there's a fair amount if you listen close, but what I like to do is control them in real-time. I may want delay in a few spots, but not everywhere. So, for the record, when I tracked all my guitar parts I tracked all my effects in real-time. I use a TC Electronics G-Force with 2 EB volume pedals for continuous constrol. It lets me take delay out or put it back in, etc. as I see fit and as I want it. :)

Kind of the best of both worlds really. You can have it dry and tight where you want it and greasy and effectedwhere you want it.

I'm a huge fan of reverb, but mostly on clean tones or really subtle lead stuff, especially on the neck pickup. :D

14. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

15. jeffrey

jeffrey Member

Well I guess I'm about as southern as you get geographically. I'm from New Orleans and live in Texas (Austin/San Antonio area). I like Zakk just fine, but I ain't hammerin' no bottle caps into my guitars! :D :moon Dat boy is crazy (and gets free guitars).

Musically our MO is to write stuff we enjoy, that's fun for us to play (technically challenging enough that it keeps it interesting and keeps us learning), that's presented in such a fashion that you don't have to be a musician to appreciate it, but if you are you'll hear even more cool stuff going on.

There's some new tunes that we haven't recorded yet that are just brutal. Hopefully we'll get those tracked soon!

16. jeffrey

jeffrey Member

Thanks for the comment about the production.:D

Believe it or not, we recorded all of these songs ourselves in our band room. :)

We used a Roland VS2000CD for most of them and a VS2480CD for Stand and Venom. We then exported the WAV's to Pro Tools (like everyone else on the planet) for mixing. We're alllllmost done with mixing (on the last song, literally!) then are releaseing a 7-song EP. We hope to put together a 12 song full length by the end of the year. :)