Fiberglass cases

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Steve Gambrell, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

I need some advice---who makes a good fiberglass (dreadnaught) guitar case? I don't need, nor can I afford, a Calton or Leaf case. Can anybody recommend something?
    Thanks

2. veldt666

veldt666 Member

"Hiscox", I'm not sure if they're fibreglass, but they are, Very robust & reasonable price.
    I'm sure there are US dealers, check website.

3. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Why do you want a fiberglass case? Light weight?

4. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

How about Eastman? The silver fiberglass cases that came with my archtops were terrific and I would assume less than Calton etc.
    They had backpack straps to which made them even more convenient.

http://www.eastmancasecompany.com/jw/acoustic.htm

5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

If you're not going to get a Calton, definitely go with Hiscox.

6. Steve Gambrell

Steve Gambrell Member

I thought of a bunch of lame answers, to this lame question, but decided to be straight up.
    I've got a friend who builds guiitars. One was bought by a mutual friend. It's a dreadnaught, with beautiful koa back and sides. See, the "mutual friend" had cancer, and he died last week. I'm gonna buy, and PLAY it. No long hauls, just around here, but I want to keep the guitar in good shape, by keeping it in a good case, when I'm not actually playing it. And yes, light weight IS a factor.
    Now, what business is it of yours what kind of case I want? You plan on stealing it, or are you just asking stupid questions?

:sarcasm:sarcasm:sarcasm

7. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Uh, just curious why someone would want a fiberglass case, but not a heavy-duty touring case? And you stated your budget was below that of a Calton/Mark Leaf. If you're not looking for a touring grade case, why wouldn't you just use a good, standard construction HSC? Lighter weight materials cost more. I use a Hoffee which is CF. Strength and protection with incredibly light weight. More than want to spend, though, I'll wager.