Fiddle Recommendation

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by stucker, Jul 22, 2008.

1. stucker

stucker Member

When I was a child my parents gave me violin lessons but I lost interest and didn't stick with it. However, I have been playing guitar as a pro or semi-pro player since I was a teenager.

Since I love bluegrass and play some fiddle tunes and chicken-pickin' guitar styles on my Tele I've thought about trying the fiddle as a second instrument. I'm even thinking that I might eventually be able to play a couple tunes with it in my country band although I do realize it's a very difficult instrument.

Can someone recommend a full-sized model that is approiate for what I want to do or give me some pointers on what to look for in a descent violin? Maybe an electric or non-acoustical model would be appropriate for not driving my wife crazy? Thanks.

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Have you looked at the Zeta's?

I'm sure they'll be someone around soon with much better guidance. Good luck!

3. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

I would haunt the flea markets and Mom & Pop stores. I just picked up an early 1900s Lewis and Son imported violin with its original wood coffin case for $100. Not the greatest instrument ever made but a nice sounding handmade German fiddle. I have not sawed away on one of these boxes for about 20 years. But I saw it and just got the bug to pick one up again.
    While you can find violins cheap, it is usually the bow that ends up costing ya some serious bucks.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

avoid at all costs the $99 chinese VSO ("violin-shaped object").

5. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member