Fiesta Finishes Reverb Problem

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Crshngdstryr, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a recent transaction with Fiesta Finishes in case you’re thinking of buying from them, and to ask if anyone has ever dealt with a similar situation. The owner totally fabricated an entire story in feedback he gave me on Reverb that really was kind of shocking. It wasn’t even bending the truth or telling a partial truth...it was a flat out made up story.

I ordered a 63 Jazzmaster from them about a month ago. I asked a bunch of questions about the originality of the guitar, and they assured me that the guitar was “untouched” (his word, not mine). I made sure to be very clear about this point because I have recently been burned on 3 vintage guitars where they turned out to have undisclosed issues (some of which were bad ones). I mentioned that to him and his response was “You will not get burned dealing with me.” Fair enough. I got the guitar and all was fine but a few weeks later I noticed there had been some work done to the pickguard, mainly someone did some sloppy filing around the guard around the pickups to compensate for the shrinkage. I was more disappointed than angry. Pickguard shrinkage on old JMs is common. But I was a bit annoyed that the seller assured me this guitar was “untouched.” I even saw another 63 JM (made on the same exact day as the one I bought in fact) for sale by another shop around the time I bought mine that explicitly disclosed pickguard filing work. So I don’t feel like I was being ridiculous. I feel like in vintage, there is no issue too small to disclose.

I messaged Fiesta, asking if there had been work done to the guard and he said probably but he wasn’t sure. I explained my disappointment, and even explained that if other shops can disclose that issue, he could have too, especially after making the claims he made. Given that I had noticed the pickguard issue well after the return window closed, I accepted that it was my problem now, and therefore I never asked for any sort of refund or return. Just expressed my disappointment. He never responded to me again after that, never said another word.

I eventually left 1-Star feedback. Was this harsh for such a small issue? Maybe. But because I have been burned in the past by dealers who I paid an insane amount of my hard earned money to, I felt this time it was appropriate to take a stand. I also was annoyed that he just totally stopped responding to me. I have purchased guitars from other very reputable shops who were absolutely meticulous in their inspection and description of the guitar, so that’s the standard I hold all other dealers to (especially at this price point).

Paul responded to my feedback on his page and by also giving me 1-Star feedback on mine. His response and feedback included a completely made up story about how we had exchanged 75 emails and that he had offered me a full refund if I returned the guitar, but that I had ignored this offer because I must have liked the guitar. Both of these statements were totally 100% fabricated. I asked him a total of 5 questions about the guitar itself (I’m not counting questions about payments/price negotiations), and sent him 3 messages about the pickguard issue. There was not a single message he sent me that ever included an offer to return the guitar for a refund. When I messaged him about this completely made up lie, he then for the first time told me he would offer me a refund for the guitar if I sent it back. I told him I had sold it, to which he replied “We both know you didn't sell the guitar. Who's the liar now?”

So now I have negative feedback on my Reverb account for a totally made up story. Anyone ever dealt with this? Should I get Reverb involved to investigate the validity of his claims? I have everything (with time and date stamps) documented.

2. krall

krall Supporting Member

"Should I get Reverb involved to investigate"

I'd say yes.

3. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

That’s crazy. Yes, get Reverb involved.

4. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

I contacted Reverb and they are looking into it. I'm still shocked Fiesta did that. I've seen shady behavior from dealers in the past, but nothing like this.

5. Timmo

Timmo Member

I hate to say it but, with few exceptions ( and I mean FEW ), if a "Vintage guitar dealer" is moving his lips he's probably lying!!!

What is the Difference between a 'vintage guitar dealer' and a 'used car salesman'?
    Nothing.........

Ncp10, Wyatt Earp, NicDo and 4 others like this.
  6. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

While I've dealt with a lot of very reputable and honest dealers, I've also dealt with my share of shady characters. But Fiesta takes the cake for me. I've never had someone put a totally fabricated story about me in writing online. That was the most dishonest thing I've ever seen from any salesman I've ever dealt with, not just guitar salesman.

Man with Gas likes this.
  7. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

That's pretty disturbing!

As for the other '63 Jazzmaster (with a similarly corrected pickguard issue), can you really determine what day it was manufactured?
    Fender neck stamps have the month and year of production, preceded by the model code ("4," at that time, for the Jazzmaster).

takeittothemall and sikoniko like this.
  8. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

Yep. “4JAN63 B”

9. jojogun1957

jojogun1957 Member

Wow!that would freak me out too.
    I bought a strat from him last year and he was a pleasure to deal with.
    We talked on the phone several times before the sale and he went over every detail of the guitar including describing the tone using Hendrix songs as examples.
    So sorry to hear about your experience.

fogdart likes this.
  10. TANFK

TANFK Member

Funny 75 emails...

I've emailed Fiesta's Reverb shop and Gbase and never heard back at all LOL.

11. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Probably not what you want to hear, but if in your opinion, 3 weeks isn't too long to mention an issue, just how long is? 4 weeks? A month? A year? I'm not excusing his handling of it, but 3 weeks IMHO, is plenty of time to discover any issues.

12. Crshngdstryr

Crshngdstryr Member

I don’t have any excuses about taking three weeks for me to discover the issue. That was on me. I just didn’t have much of a chance to really sit down with it. I have a very demanding job. That’s why I NEVER asked for a refund or anything, nor did I expect one. They have a 3 day window for returns (which is very fair) and I missed it. No excuses there. My post wasn’t about that. My post was about how he blatantly made up lies in his feedback.

Reverb got back to me and agreed he had lied based on all the evidence. They made him amend all the feedback and his rebuttal, which he did today. Couldn’t be happier with the way @Reverb handled this. They acted promptly and courteously.

13. krall

krall Supporting Member

Looks like a happy ending! Good for you.

Crshngdstryr likes this.
  14. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

Glad you got your feedback fixed. Sorry to hear you got burnt again. Thanks for the heads up. I will be avoiding that outfit.

Crshngdstryr likes this.
  15. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I missed that part; that IS good service!

16. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Reverb is very fair with regards to things like this. I had an issue with one of their “in-house” sellers, guy took 8 days to ship 50 miles. I don't see him listing anymore.

17. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

Thats not what that means. 4 is the neck model, not the date. All you know is that it was made in January of 63 with a B neck width and I assume 4 is the Jazzmaster nomenclature.

18. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

It is.
    I explained that in Post #7.

Glad that Reverb rectified this, Crshngdstryr!

Crshngdstryr likes this.
  19. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

I've delt w/ Paul and I am shocked that he didn't notice the issue w/ the pick-guard ?? The lie part is very unlike Paul > He is a very knolagable man perhaps he was just annoyed w/ the emails after the fact ?? Who knows?? I'm not a big fan of Dealers and try to stay clear of them.. Glad you got Reverb to step in and make things right!.

20. fogdart

fogdart Member

This just seems so out of character for Paul. From my dealings with him he's been very upfront, detailed, and patient. Not to mention very kind.

I'm glad Reverb acted quick to sort it for the OP. I think OP's reaction was completely justified. In my opinion, it shouldn't matter how long it takes to notice something wrong with the guitar if it was misrepresented. If it was sold "As Is", that's another story. But this guitar was sold as an all original no-issue machine.

That said, I also feel bad for Paul who made two mistakes (one small, and one large). The first mistake, and the smaller of the two was not noticing the pickguard repair. The second mistake, and the more serious one in my book, was fabricating the story. Two wrong moves and a well respected vintage repair guy and dealer has a negative thread written about him. It's just a bummer all the way around. I feel badly for everyone involved.