• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
One other important thing I forgot to mention. The amp (Just like a Dumble) really responds to your volume control and attack. Yes I know many amps do this but not like this. most amps have couple spots where they do this and you get a couple different usable tones. This one like real Dumbles let’s you follow the volume knob to almost zero while giving you different usable Responses And dynamics.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
I will say this. Based on all the work Lou has told me he puts into these. Testing and rejecting parts, hand cutting boards etc etc. I don’t think he charges enough. The fit, finish and depth of detail of this amp is above most of this category out there. Theres a lot of detail in craftsmanship besides the actual circuit Lou did on this. little things like countersunk set screws for the rear panel as opposed to wood screws etc. it’s like German engineering or I suppose in Lous case fine Italian engineering like Ferrari.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
I will say this. Based on all the work Lou has told me he puts into these. Testing and rejecting parts, hand cutting boards etc etc. I don’t think he charges enough. The fit, finish and depth of detail of this amp is above most of this category out there. Theres a lot of detail in craftsmanship besides the actual circuit Lou did on this. little things like countersunk set screws for the rear panel as opposed to wood screws etc. it’s like German engineering or I suppose in Lous case fine Italian engineering like Ferrari.
:beer

Lous amps are all like that. They exude quality all over them. He literally hates to let any of them go after he builds them. He is never happy with them. Lol!!!

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
One other important thing I forgot to mention. The amp (Just like a Dumble) really responds to your volume control and attack. Yes I know many amps do this but not like this. most amps have couple spots where they do this and you get a couple different usable tones. This one like real Dumbles let’s you follow the volume knob to almost zero while giving you different usable Responses And dynamics.
Right on. And that was all in the transformers.
Nothing felt right and we tried everything.
It took all 3 to get it perfect too. The choke was the last piece of that puzzle.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Right on. And that was all in the transformers.
Nothing felt right and we tried everything.
It took all 3 to get it perfect too. The choke was the last piece of that puzzle.
indeed. On a different note. i heard it told you’re taking possession of a certain prototype this evening. Please post clips. No doubt that Proto will be my second LE purchase.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Speaking of amps, did you get your JTM yet?

Or did I miss the NAD?
Not yet, but getting very close.

First thing I notice is it has more overdrive than any Dumble I’ve owned Or played.
That's one thing that I've noticed in clips of this amp.

I'm listening and then looking at how the controls are set and am wondering how the hell there's that much gain with those settings.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Not yet, but getting very close.

That's one thing that I've noticed in clips of this amp.

I'm listening and then looking at how the controls are set and am wondering how the hell there's that much gain with those settings.
Its pretty wild more akin to an SLO. However, if you turn up the master much of that overdrive opens up. Clips are as always a little deceptive. Tag runs the volume pretty low for a Dumble. If you turn up the levels the amp actually gets a lot smoother. Not everybody is in the position to be able to turn up a 100 watt. The 50 watt setting makes it more manageable but a bit more compressed. big bottles need to breath. Regardless of how good the master is.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Yeah I’d like to hear this thing with the master opened up a little. Seems like no matter the amp, I usually have the MV at least 10 o’clock even though it may technically work fine lower than that. Choking out the power section makes me sad bananas
11 o clock seems to be the magic number for me on the master. At least so far. I’ll end up recording it on noon or 1 most likely.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Agree on the master volume statements.

Even when I use a Suhr Reactive Load/Power Station/whatever, to get the main amp cooking, I still turn the level up enough to get into the zone.

My Naylor amp has a fantastic master, but you still gotta goose it to 10:00 or so to get the real goods.

Trending Topics