• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Stop by Lous! He blew out my G12H30s in 5 minutes!!!
:D
well I wouldn’t expect Saint Richards to collaborate with a ninnymuggins! CRANK IT! Lol when I was on phone with Lou recently I told him how much I like the Deltone clean and he’s like “what it doesn’t break up?” and I’m like dude that’s not the point yes it breaks up like a mofo but sounds awesome on 2 take the compliment!!!!

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
11 o clock seems to be the magic number for me on the master. At least so far. I’ll end up recording it on noon or 1 most likely.
If the volume and gain are at 11oclock, 1 on the MV is absolutely eardrum popping volume!!!
I could never, ever play at that volume.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
If the volume and gain are at 11oclock, 1 on the MV is absolutely eardrum popping volume!!!
I could never, ever play at that volume.
isolation is your friend. In my living room testing the amp I had the master at 11. It’s loud but it allows the amp to breath. I’ll record it in my home studio and run it somewhere between 12 and 1. The gain variations are infinite (as you know) with the first volume, gain, level and master. The whole point of these amps (according to Alexander) were to be able to get any available sound at the time. They do a pretty great job at it In my experience.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
isolation is your friend. In my living room testing the amp I had the master at 11. It’s loud but it allows the amp to breath. I’ll record it in my home studio and run it somewhere between 12 and 1. The gain variations are infinite (as you know) with the first volume, gain, level and master. The whole point of these amps (according to Alexander) were to be able to get any available sound at the time. They do a pretty great job at it In my experience.
I dunno man that might end up sounding more like #186

Reactions: Tag

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
The gain variations are infinite (as you know) with the first volume, gain, level and master. The whole point of these amps (according to Alexander) were to be able to get any available sound at the time. They do a pretty great job at it In my experience.
i’m assuming that all gain and volume controls operate in a linear fashion, without big jumps along their respective ranges. true?

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
i’m assuming that all gain and volume controls operate in a linear fashion, without big jumps along their respective ranges. true?
Yes indeed. Perhaps something I shouldve mentioned. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it but the biggest flaw in ALL the clones except for later Super 100s and a van Weelden I had was the PAB was ridiculously unusable in its volume jump. The cobra is not like that at all. If set correctly it’s almost like having a 3rd channel. Though technically as most should know by now this is really not even a 2 channel amp. It’s a gain staged single channel amp that allows the staging to replicate a multi channel amp.

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Gold Supporting Member
Yes indeed. Perhaps something I shouldve mentioned. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it but the biggest flaw in ALL the clones except for later Super 100s and a van Weelden I had was the PAB was ridiculously unusable in its volume jump. The cobra is not like that at all. If set correctly it’s almost like having a 3rd channel. Though technically as most should know by now this is really not even a 2 channel amp. It’s a gain staged single channel amp that allows the staging to replicate a multi channel amp.
Reading this it makes me think there's going to be a bit of a learning curve for me. I'm much more used to a true single channel amp or a real multi channel amp.

Tag

It works great!
Shad made a pedal for me with 8 different pab settings on it. All different volume boosts and bass content. Super cool.

Tag

Not yet, but getting very close.

That's one thing that I've noticed in clips of this amp.

I'm listening and then looking at how the controls are set and am wondering how the hell there's that much gain with those settings.
You should have heard the gain on the tan Ultrasound Dumble!! And a few Bruno Super 100s I have played!! Its an overdrive special after all!! But...the Christopher Cross Dumble was very low gain.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
You should have heard the gain on the tan Ultrasound Dumble!! And a few Bruno Super 100s I have played!! Its an overdrive special after all!! But...the Christopher Cross Dumble was very low gain.
I had the super 100 version of that amp for a long time. It was wrapped in Italian glove leather. It was a really cool amp.

Last edited:

Trending Topics