• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Reading this it makes me think there's going to be a bit of a learning curve for me. I'm much more used to a true single channel amp or a real multi channel amp.
most people’s experience with this amp the first time. They don’t get it. the Clean “stage” is also the input to the overdrive. It’s more like having a pre and post overdrive eq of sorts. The first volume sets the input amount of signal. The gain determines how much overdrive “effect you want on the signal. The “level” adjusts how much of that signal you want hitting the power amp.
the master volume is just the overall amount of volume you want at the output. You just have to remember that just like in running an effects pedal The levels of the pedal all determine the “sound” before it gets to the amp. In this case replace pedal with “preamp”. Same concept.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Plugged in the KT66 amp.

Very close to the Cobra. Extremely cool amp.
Here are the differences. A little more very bottom end. Less lower mids. More upper mids. Slightly thinner but more detailed treble. Definitely the KR 12s treble. I love the amp which surprises me now.
The reason is because the Cobra nails the Dumble,
and this does not. Now that the Cobra is correct, I can enjoy an amp that's a bit different. At the time, it was just another try that missed the mark.
The neg feedback knob is soooooo cool too.
Can't put it on the Cobra because it changes the tone a bit too much. This amp is not a clone, so all systems go!!! Now I want one of these too, all thanks to Blueser for bringing it up. I had totally forgotten about it!!
:mad:

Tag

most people’s experience with this amp the first time. They don’t get it. the Clean “stage” is also the input to the overdrive. It’s more like having a pre and post overdrive eq of sorts. The first volume sets the input amount of signal. The gain determines how much overdrive “effect you want on the signal. The “level” adjusts how much of that signal you want hitting the power amp.
the master volume is just the overall amount of volume you want at the output. You just have to remember that just like in running an effects pedal The levels of the pedal all determine the “sound” before it gets to the amp. In this case replace pedal with “preamp”. Same concept.
Dead on!! For an alternative, I look at it like this. The volume control sets the gain level of both the clean and dirty "channel". The gain sets the final amount of gain on the lead channel. The level control is the gain "channels" volume control. The Master volume is a global Master. The EQ section effects both channel as does the presence control.
The only thing to keep in mind is the way you balance the gain, level, and Master volume effect the tone. Just keep experimenting. All controls at noon is the perfect place to start, and Lou goes nuts and wastes a lot of money to get pots that are consistent. It is a HUGE problem that can drastically effect the tone of the amp. Lous a wild man!!!!!

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
It isn’t rocket science. The ODS isn’t really a 2 channel amp.

The guitar goes into the amp and hits an Input gain as it would any other. Then it goes through an EQ to a master volume.

BUT you can engage an overdrive gain/level that comes between the EQ and master.

So what you end up with is a single channel amp with an extra gainstage post-EQ with a master volume to set the overall output. Kind of like running a preamp into a tubescreamer then into a power section.

There’s some balancing that needs to be done if you’re looking at it as a 2-channel amp. The input gain AND Eq feed the overdrive “channel.” Sacrifices must be made because the overdrive comes after the EQ section.

Otherwise it’s typically best/easiest to either dial in the clean channel or engage the overdrive channel and dial things in and stay there.

Tag

alexander’s own advice bears repeating. start the gain low and gradually acclimate. scary levels are contained therein.
Ha!!! One things for sure, these things have absolute monster gain if you want it, and they stay very uncompressed for the amount of gain they put out.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
It was wrapped in Italian glove leather.
Now that sounds like an amp from New Jersey.

Plugged in the KT66 amp.

Here are the differences. A little more very bottom end. Less lower mids. More upper mids. Slightly thinner but more detailed treble. Definitely the KR 12s treble. I love the amp which surprises me now.
and this does not. Now that the Cobra is correct, I can enjoy an amp that's a bit different. At the time, it was just another try that missed the mark.
Can't put it on the Cobra because it changes the tone a bit too much. This amp is not a clone, so all systems go!!! Now I want one of these too, all thanks to Blueser for bringing it up. I had totally forgotten about it!!
Man, it sounds like this amp is going to be amazing.

I want one.

Tell Louis I'll trade him a jar of Vegemite for one.

What is PAB?
Preamp Boost.

Basically just bypasses the tone stack IIRC.

texstrat

Silver Supporting Member
So... what’s the process to order a Cobra? I assume I contact Lou? Anybody know cost and approximate build time for one? Thanks

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
Plugged in the KT66 amp.

This has my interest. Any possibility of clips?

Mac Daddy 355

MilkBone Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Yes indeed. Perhaps something I shouldve mentioned. I didn’t spend a lot of time on it but the biggest flaw in ALL the clones except for later Super 100s and a van Weelden I had was the PAB was ridiculously unusable in its volume jump. The cobra is not like that at all. If set correctly it’s almost like having a 3rd channel. Though technically as most should know by now this is really not even a 2 channel amp. It’s a gain staged single channel amp that allows the staging to replicate a multi channel amp.
Rob the VW doesn’t have a Fet channel , he sets it up like this , one input is for single coil pu and the other for humbucker style

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Gold Supporting Member
So... what’s the process to order a Cobra? I assume I contact Lou? Anybody know cost and approximate build time for one? Thanks
$3750 and right now the guys receiving them on this thread are waiting 20 to 22 weeks. I'm on week 17 or 18 and I have two or three ahead of me. Yes, contact Lou though.

BJJ&Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Everyone is focusing on the overdrive tones of the cobra, and rightfully so. But don’t sleep on the clean tones. It sustains like crazy while staying clean. Using humbuckers, I can get infinite sustain/controlled feedback on the clean channel. I can literally hold a note as long as I want while completely clean and at low volume. I’ve never had a Dumble clone do that on the clean channel before. My Dumble ultraphonix is the only other amp I have played that can do this . Lou is definitely doing something right with the cobra!!

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
Everyone is focusing on the overdrive tones of the cobra, and rightfully so. But don’t sleep on the clean tones. It sustains like crazy while staying clean. Using humbuckers, I can get infinite sustain/controlled feedback on the clean channel. I can literally hold a note as long as I want while completely clean and at low volume. I’ve never had a Dumble clone do that on the clean channel before. My Dumble ultraphonix is the only other amp I have played that can do this . Lou is definitely doing something right with the cobra!!
what are you using, speakerwise?

Reactions: Tag

jujube

Would appreciate someone posting on edge and clean sustain clips. Like pedal steel sort of tone. Can we do that without massive ear damaging volume?

Last edited:

Trending Topics