Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

BJJ&Blues

Gold Supporting Member
I hear you, and I would love to say its a secret only a few Dumbles have, but its just feedback. The way you have to move around the room shows that. And without some kind of feedback, no guitar string will keep vibrating on its own.

Remember the old ebows guys use to use for that? You do not see them anymore! It use to be every guitar player in the NYC area would do at least a few songs with one!

You’re right Tag. But it’s a musical feedback that I find really cool. Of course not every player would want that, but again, it doesn’t happen unless I go for it on purpose.

I’m not a Dumble expert. However, I have owned several high profile clones. A couple of them could do the infinite sustain on the OD channel but none of them could do it on the clean channel like the Cobra. My Dumble modded Marshall is the only other amp I have played that can do the infinite sustain thing while set clean.

Either way, the Cobras are special. Lou must be putting some serious fairy dust into these things! Actually, it really just perfectionism. What other amp builder takes the time after building an amp and tuning it by ear to drive it to Tag’s house for more tuning before shipping it out? That’s some serious dedication to make sure every amp is spot on. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t know of any other builder who does that.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Hey guys, I can get that with my L5s dead clean at any volume, with any amp!! :D

It has to be guitar and room and hands.
I could not get it out of any of the Dumbles I played, my Quinns, my Cobra, your Cobra, BJBs or any D style amp I have owned. Its feedback, Im not sure why anyone would want that. You have to fight that on stage as is. Its simply volume or gain and the position of the pups to the amp.
its not the same as Jae indicated. “Feedback” is indeed a mix of volume, room, position of speaker in relationship to instrument (And certain notes)
Controlled feedback is when the amp will seemingly just take off on any note or chord and can be manipulated into overtones. The Dumble Marshall Jae has is a perfect example as well as a couple other Dumbles I own and others I have played. Very few amps actually do this in a way that can be “controlled feedback”. With an amp that does it well you are more holding back the amps musical feedback rather than trying to force it to happen. More like directing a flood of water. It is indeed a different way of playing that I demonstrated in the Kelley line amp clips I did for Jim. The Fryette Aether amp and my Bruno Supers do this as well although not as effortless As the Kelley.

Last edited:

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Got to agree Tag, a very different thing.

I tried the same settings as Jae and mine does indeed do the very same thing with no PAB on.
Having said that, it isn't a setting I can use. There's just too much mids and I'm not good enough of a player to manage all those mids and make them sound musical.

At least I tried the clean channel finally ;)

I just stuck with the normal settings: 1st volume at 9-10:00. The rest at noon other than the master which I put at 10:00. Jazz setting, bright up, mid down.

I know the delay and reverb is distracting, but it's from my Eclipse set up in the loop of my PS2, which is in a rack and I don't feel like unplugging it all.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member

I tried the same settings as Jae and mine does indeed do the very same thing with no PAB on.
Having said that, it isn't a setting I can use. There's just too much mids and I'm not good enough of a player to manage all those mids and make them sound musical.

I just stuck with the normal settings: 1st volume at 9-10:00. The rest at noon other than the master which I put at 10:00. Jazz setting, bright up, mid down.

I know the delay and reverb is distracting, but it's from my Eclipse set up in the loop of my PS2, which is in a rack and I don't feel like unplugging it all.

[/QUOTE]

Kern is that the Cobra?? Absolutely beautiful tones that I probably would have guessed as a Vox! Lots of jangle and chime!! SWEET!!!

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Yes of course, that's the Cobra ya'll built me. You know I loves you two for it.:)

[/QUOTE]
Kern is that the Cobra?? Absolutely beautiful tones that I probably would have guessed as a Vox! Lots of jangle and chime!! SWEET!!!
[/QUOTE]

BJJ&Blues

Gold Supporting Member

wow, beautiful tone!! I have yet to try the jazz setting on mine. I’m going to try your settings!! Thanks

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Gold Supporting Member

Amazing video! Those were the clean tones I've been asking for! Fantastic! Beautiful playing, also!!! After hearing that it just makes me want my Cobra even MORE! .......must be patient......

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
There is a big difference Jae; it really makes the mids much more manageable.

Tag was shooting straight about how useable the Jazz setting is. Let us know what you think!

wow, beautiful tone!! I have yet to try the jazz setting on mine. I’m going to try your settings!! Thanks

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Man, I appreciate that brother, thanks!

I think I'm nearly as anxious as you are for you to get it! You're going to love it. It really lives up to the hype.

Amazing video! Those were the clean tones I've been asking for! Fantastic! Beautiful playing, also!!! After hearing that it just makes me want my Cobra even MORE! .......must be patient......

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member

Loving your clips. Tone and playing are beautiful

glenngross

Gold Supporting Member
For giggles, with those settings, put the OD gain around two o’clock, level to taste, and kick the OD and PAB on with single coils. Of course, you may hate it...

Reactions: Tag

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member

Fantastic.

DiPa

Constant GAS
My Cobra got delivered today, Fedex did not ring the bell, left the box outside my door, I discovered the box a few minutes ago when i went out. Its been raining, glad Lou packed it nice and sealed in a plastic cover. The box is wet. Supposed to be a signature required, oh well, these delivery folk dont care. Anywhere, its safe and just got it out of the box. Too late to plug in, will do it tomorrow. Lousy pic, will get better pics tomorrow.

Attachments

Tag

My Cobra got delivered today, Fedex did not ring the bell, left the box outside my door, I discovered the box a few minutes ago when i went out. Its been raining, glad Lou packed it nice and sealed in a plastic cover. The box is wet. Supposed to be a signature required, oh well, these delivery folk dont care. Anywhere, its safe and just got it out of the box. Too late to plug in, will do it tomorrow. Lousy pic, will get better pics tomorrow.
Unbelievable. I once had them leave a brand new blond Custom shop L5 on my porch delivered a day early in a 3 ft blizzard. Sig required. I was not home. Came home at 10 pm and it was buried in snow. Hope all is good Dipa! Digital reverb or delay in loop!!
:banana

jujube

My driveway is unapproachable in winter for rear wheel trucks. I tell them don't bother, I'll pick it up.

Reactions: Tag

Trending Topics