Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
Unbelievable. I once had them leave a brand new blond Custom shop L5 on my porch delivered a day early in a 3 ft blizzard. Sig required. I was not home. Came home at 10 pm and it was buried in snow. Hope all is good Dipa! Digital reverb or delay in loop!!
:banana
I pulled up the security video this morning, it shows the fed ex guy come up to the front door and drop the amp there, he does not even ring the bell, and then he runs off back to his truck like he is in a super rush hurry.
The worst times to get package delivery is around the holiday season, whenever I have had issues with package delivery, it’s always been at end of year holiday season.
Anywhere I hope when he dropped it nothing was shattered in the amp. Will plug in later this morning.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
I always, if given the option, have big stuff like amps, guitars, cabs, etc held for pickup now.

Anytime a package needs a signature from me I’m never home and it turns into a pain to get it haha.
1606663573167.jpeg

Coolidge

Vendor
A Quick noodle on my 6L6 Quinn 183 with my new American Original LTD Tele. This guitar is AMAZING. Have not played this amp in a WHILE.
SMOKING!!

******* that sounds sweet!! I'll just be over here hyperventilating.

Reactions: Tag

Tag

******* that sounds sweet!! I'll just be over here hyperventilating.
Lou had that one all apart as well. Shad had told me it was "basically" 183 with different transformers to best accommodate 6L6 tubes.
However, Lou pointed out its more of a cross between 183 and Fords 102.

Tag

Hey @Bluesful
We are always talking about those big lower mids. I always call it muscular. Here is Robben Ford saying the same thing.

“Yeah, well, one thing I find about the Dumble amplifier that is unique is that it’s incredibly muscular. I think you know exactly what I mean by that. It does affect the way you play; you have to become more ‘muscular’ as a player to take advantage of the amp’s muscle, and that has definitely affected the way I hit the strings and the way I play a note. It’s all integrated. It also makes it very hard to play anything else after that. That’s how it feels to me, anyway. I don’t like having to adapt to other amplifiers now.”

Then he talks about the clones he has played.

Have you ever tried any of the amps that are trying to replicate the Dumble sound? If so, what have you thought of them and do they fall short?

“Yeah, I have. I’ve tried Bludotone and Two‑Rock - although they’re quite different now - but they all fall short. I mean, they get maybe 70 per cent there, but that extra 30 per cent is enormous. It’s way too much for me.”

The exact reason I sold all my clones, bought 183 and had it done right.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
Hey @Bluesful
We are always talking about those big lower mids. I always call it muscular. Here is Robben Ford saying the same thing.

“Yeah, well, one thing I find about the Dumble amplifier that is unique is that it’s incredibly muscular. I think you know exactly what I mean by that. It does affect the way you play; you have to become more ‘muscular’ as a player to take advantage of the amp’s muscle, and that has definitely affected the way I hit the strings and the way I play a note. It’s all integrated. It also makes it very hard to play anything else after that. That’s how it feels to me, anyway. I don’t like having to adapt to other amplifiers now.”

Then he talks about the clones he has played.

Have you ever tried any of the amps that are trying to replicate the Dumble sound? If so, what have you thought of them and do they fall short?

“Yeah, I have. I’ve tried Bludotone and Two‑Rock - although they’re quite different now - but they all fall short. I mean, they get maybe 70 per cent there, but that extra 30 per cent is enormous. It’s way too much for me.”

The exact reason I sold all my clones, bought 183 and had it done right.
curious, what would you think the tone and feel differences are between 183 and 102?

Tag

curious, what would you think the tone and feel differences are between 183 and 102?
I had 3 number 102 "clones" I vastly preferred number 183. Those clones did not have near the big lower mids I hear in Robben Ford's Amps, nor the vowel or note flipping.

Coolidge

Vendor
Lou had that one all apart as well. Shad had told me it was "basically" 183 with different transformers to best accommodate 6L6 tubes.
Seems a perfect fit for your Tele, really enjoyed that clip thank you.

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
I didn't realize Louis was that big of a 'Dumble' guy?
I guess I just assumed he researched 183, of course, but didn't know he was familiar with Dumble circuits in general.

Adding: casually looking at the circuit, it is more of a clone of the Quinn than the Dumble (components). I assume that's not by accident (though may have much to do with part availability). Do you prefer the Quinn 183 to the original 183, Tag?

Last edited:

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
I guess I just assumed he researched 183, of course, but didn't know he was familiar with Dumble circuits in general.

Adding: casually looking at the circuit, it is more of a clone of the Quinn than the Dumble. I assume that's not by accident (though may have much to do with part availability). Do you prefer the Quinn 183 to the original 183, Tag?
Lou serviced a Dumble of Ford’s. If you see the vids of Ford playing a KR12, it’s what he borrowed while his amp was in the shop, IIRC

DiPa

Constant GAS
Cobra fired up, works great, no issues.
Pulled out a Germino 4x12 Cab loaded with G12H30-55hz and it rocks. I have a couple more red cabs to match Cobra loaded with Scumbucks 65 as well as EVM12L, those other two cabs are built by Swanson. Will try everything till I find one I prefer best. Glad Cobra finish matches my cabs perfectly. First impression when I plugged in was yep, Tag is the tone man, Lou nailed this amp to a T, you can Not like this amp, its everything and more what Tag claimed. I will be trying all types of styles and enjoying it. Anyone sitting on the fence, well you ain't heard it till you buy it, it sounds even better than the clips I hear on this thread.

1606679777417.png

Tag

Adding: casually looking at the circuit, it is more of a clone of the Quinn than the Dumble. I assume that's not by accident (though may have much to do with part availability). Do you prefer the Quinn 183 to the original 183, Tag?
Lou had both Dumble183 and 102 in his shop Kern....Has all pics and amps mapped. The amp garage schematic of 183 is wrong.

My Quinn (el34) is a dead clone of the Dumble.
There are 2 parts that are different, one of which I now have. Shad said its the only one I should think about putting in, but I haven't bothered because I can't tell them apart anyway side by side.

The Cobra could be a dead on clone physically with the exception of a few parts that can't be had.
However, we did that and it sounded a bit off.
Thats where you have to go through every part, measure, listen, try different brands, repeat over and over and over until it SOUNDS right. I use to think you just copy everything and it HAS to sound the same. Does not work at ALL with this circuit.
Lou knows this in his sleep now, and still no two Cobras sound exactly alike. Almost everyone has to be tweaked when it seems it should not have to be. I mean few people would notice the differences without the tweaking unless you have my Quinn or 183 and a headswitcher to compare, but thats what is happening here. Its virtually impossible to get them to sound, feel and react any closer. Not sure what is gooped, but if looked inside several different Cobras, you are going to see different parts. It has to be that way, and thats how Dumble did it!
:banana:banana:banana

Last edited:

Tag

Lou serviced a Dumble of Ford’s. If you see the vids of Ford playing a KR12, it’s what he borrowed while his amp was in the shop, IIRC

Ford wanted a 100 watt version of the KR to try.
Lou kicks himself now as he was not interested in doing it at that time.

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Wasn't insinuating anything, I just enjoy the conversation.

I meant component selection, not schematics. I clarified it in my post.

I don't care a bit about whats on ampgarage, I have the naked pics myself ;)
If it's sensitive, I'll drop it. I was just curious (if it was due to your preference, I get the scarcity thing).

To hopefully clarify my previous poor wording...

You are in the unique position of having the actual 183, as well as several excellent clones, and have been able to try a slew of parts when Louis was cloning it/them. I was curious if you all ran into components/situations that you actually prefer (think sounded better, I was assuming used by Shad) something that was used other than what was in the actual original Dumble? And if you prefer one of the clones over the original?

If that is sensitive information, I get that too. There's not many people that have had the opportunity to try so many options with the real deal sitting there so it interests me.

Lou had both Dumble183 and 102 in his shop Kern....Has all pics and amps mapped. The amp garage schematic of 183 is wrong.

My Quinn (el34) is a dead clone of the Dumble.
There are 2 parts that are different, one of which I now have. Shad said its the only one I should think about putting in, but I haven't bothered because I can't tell them apart anyway side by side.

The Cobra could be a dead on clone physically with the exception of a few parts that can't be had.
However, we did that and it sounded a bit off.
Thats where you have to go through every part, measure, listen, try different brands, repeat over and over and over until it SOUNDS right. I use to think you just copy everything and it HAS to sound the same. Does not work at ALL with this circuit.
Lou knows this in his sleep now, and still no two Cobras sound exactly alike. Almost everyone has to be tweaked when it seems it should not have to be. I mean few people would notice the differences without the tweaking unless you have my Quinn or 183 and a headswitcher to compare, but thats what is happening here. Its virtually impossible to get them to sound, feel and react any closer. Not sure what us gooped, but if looked inside several different Cobras, you are going to see different parts. It has to be that way, and thats how Dumble did it!
:banana:banana:banana

Last edited:

Tag

Cobra fired up, works great, no issues.
Pulled out a Germino 4x12 Cab loaded with G12H30-55hz and it rocks. I have a couple more red cabs to match Cobra loaded with Scumbucks 65 as well as EVM12L, those other two cabs are built by Swanson. Will try everything till I find one I prefer best. Glad Cobra finish matches my cabs perfectly. First impression when I plugged in was yep, Tag is the tone man, Lou nailed this amp to a T, you can Not like this amp, its everything and more what Tag claimed. I will be trying all types of styles and enjoying it. Anyone sitting on the fence, well you ain't heard it till you buy it, it sounds even better than the clips I hear on this thread.

View attachment 326569
Dipa thats so cool to hear, and what I am REALLY interested in is most guys HATE those speakers with this amp. I LOVE them in my Mesa, but that cab and speakers are 20 years old now. I tried a newer 2/12 Mesa with G12H30s and sure enough it was horrible. No bottom and earshredding treble. Maybe your cab mellows them like my Mesa cab does. I would love to hear your thoughts as you try different cab/speakers!!

Trending Topics