Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

jujube

I dug the tone of those twins more than those Dumbles. Lou makes one and has the wrapping sheets for the original transformers.
o_O He gets them made dead on.
I played one and its off the charts, but its pure ear bleeding volumes.
A Fryette Power Station would be mandatory. :-D

Reactions: Tag

Red House

Gold Supporting Member
Joe is such a great interview, he reminds me of Jay Leno when he talks about his various cars. Both are founts of information and happy to share about their toys.

Robal

Silver Supporting Member
DiPa: what characteristics do you find in your new LE Cobra that appeal to you that you did not find in your Sebago and Bludotone Dumble-style amps? I ask not to diss those other amps, but better understand what you think sets the Cobra apart from them. Anyone else who has first-hand experience to compare these leading Dumble-inspired amps, please chime in. Thanks in advance.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
There’s a post somewhere on TGP from Brandon at Bludtone where he lists and describes all of the ODS voicings.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Platinum Supporting Member
DiPa: what characteristics do you find in your new LE Cobra that appeal to you that you did not find in your Sebago and Bludotone Dumble-style amps? I ask not to diss those other amps, but better understand what you think sets the Cobra apart from them. Anyone else who has first-hand experience to compare these leading Dumble-inspired amps, please chime in. Thanks in advance.
I have owned all those amps, still love them. I just got the Cobra and too early for me throw out any conclusive statements, i will say though that the clips Tag has been showing are very representative of the Cobra, effortless sustain and violin like tones...the amp is quiet like the other ones. I need more time on it to have an opinion one way or the other. My first impression is wow killer tones!

DiPa

Constant GAS
I have owned all those amps, still love them. I just got the Cobra and too early for me throw out any conclusive statements, i will say though that the clips Tag has been showing are very representative of the Cobra, effortless sustain and violin like tones...the amp is quiet like the other ones. I need more time on it to have an opinion one way or the other. My first impression is wow killer tones!
My Bludo ODC is 102 dna whereas Cobra is 183, quite different Amps. I can say this that my excitement on the Cobra sound and tones has been sky high, am loving everything about the amp. I stated early when I got mine that if someone is on the fence, get one! My Bludo is 6L6. I am not dissing the other Amps, they are wonderful Amps. As Tag has said, Cobra is your Dumble 183 without the $150K price tag.

jujube

Are you also trying out less saturated tones that are not clean?

DiPa

Constant GAS
Are you also trying out less saturated tones that are not clean?
I haven’t yet, the overdriven tones are so heavenly I have been locked there a couple days, I do need to check out the cleans;

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Gold Supporting Member
So there are different types of ODS amps such as the Skyliner. What type of ODS is 183?

jujube

I haven’t yet, the overdriven tones are so heavenly I have been locked there a couple days, I do need to check out the cleans;
Or even rolling back the volume to decrease the saturation so that you can play some complex chords.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I was right.

Skyliner IIRC.
Non HRM, Skyline EL34. Not Music Man. One of the only known examples of a non HRM Skyline EL34 that is 450 volt plates and non Music Man output. No feedback on V1. 250k od pots for more bass and less treble in OD. BIgger couplers too. Amp has muscular lows and is real smooth. Get's the Lifesong for Annie type OD. Does not get the splatty lows of Rugged Road or Jing Chi. Imo.

I've played it quite a bit and have recorded clips of it too.

Tag

I only hear a small difference between those cranked amps and the cranked tweeds but then a lot of the sound has to do with the player himself and the settings used.
Thank you!!!
I have been saying since going to ultrasound all those years ago, once you crank amps way up like Joe B is doing, its hard to tell an AC 30 from a Fender Twin from a Dumble from a Trainwreck from a Boogie from any other amp. They all start to sound very much alike.

Tag

The Cobra is a clone of a Dumble that did all the "magical" things I heard in Robben Fords Blue line era tones with ease, and surprising, way more. I played many Bludos, Tworocks, Redplates, Fuchs,
Etc etc. I could not get any of them to do what I call the "straining", vowel sounds, note flipping chirping, and huge sound I heard on record, and from the Dumbles I rented, sought out, compared, and played. Only 2 of the actual Dumbles did that by the way, and the one I bought far better than the others.
This does not mean its the right amp for you or anyone else however. One of my buddies liked his Marshall 800 with a boss od2 into it more. We played them side by side, and to me his Marshall sounded like a transistor radio. Thats not an exaggeration. To me, it was horrific. But he liked it more. Who is right?? We both are.
I can say the Cobra will give you the authentic sound of my old Dumble, and no one will do it better or more accurately. I love those big, smooth, straining, crazy Dumble tones, and after 10 years with these amps, I simply can't play anything else.
YMMV.

Tag

FWIW - I think the Cobra sounds better than this, but that's all subjective and personal preference of course.

Thats my buddy Steve! Killer player but seriously out of tune there! The Cobra does not sound "better", they sound the same. But each one sounds very slightly different, so depending on your taste, you may like one "slightly" more than the Dumble, another "slightly" less. If you make 20 of them, maybe you will get two that sound exactly alike!

Trending Topics