Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
is this dude this dude?

Yes. Thats him! Great guy and player. His number 1 amp is a Fuchs mod and he sounds killer with it.
One of the many killer players who left here years ago. He's in the D group on FB and posts all the time.

DiPa

Constant GAS
The Cobra is a clone of a Dumble that did all the "magical" things I heard in Robben Fords Blue line era tones with ease, and surprising, way more. I played many Bludos, Tworocks, Redplates, Fuchs,
Etc etc. I could not get any of them to do what I call the "straining", vowel sounds, note flipping chirping, and huge sound I heard on record, and from the Dumbles I rented, sought out, compared, and played. Only 2 of the actual Dumbles did that by the way, and the one I bought far better than the others.
This does not mean its the right amp for you or anyone else however. One of my buddies liked his Marshall 800 with a boss od2 into it more. We played them side by side, and to me his Marshall sounded like a transistor radio. Thats not an exaggeration. To me, it was horrific. But he liked it more. Who is right?? We both are.
I can say the Cobra will give you the authentic sound of my old Dumble, and no one will do it better or more accurately. I love those big, smooth, straining, crazy Dumble tones, and after 10 years with these amps, I simply can't play anything else.
YMMV.
Tag, absolutely, and it’s going to be much more valuable as these other potential buyers hear testimonials from others who have purchased Cobra and what they are saying. You are one of the creators of Cobra, so now we need buyers to give their own assessment and testimonials. Am sure most will line up with your findings.

DiPa

Constant GAS
I was talking to my band buddy today and I told him I could see myself buying another Cobra next year...

Reactions: Tag

niassist

Garage Rock Star
Gold Supporting Member
Thats my buddy Steve! Killer player but seriously out of tune there! The Cobra does not sound "better", they sound the same. But each one sounds very slightly different, so depending on your taste, you may like one "slightly" more than the Dumble, another "slightly" less. If you make 20 of them, maybe you will get two that sound exactly alike!
I'm glad you pointed out the tuning issues because that's all I could hear. I would think if you're going to do a demo you would tune twice!

Tag

Go to 12:18 of this video and listen to the tone.

Whatever Fords using there, you can nail it in seconds with the 183, Cobra or Quinn.

One try with Quinn.

;)

Tag

I'm glad you pointed out the tuning issues because that's all I could hear. I would think if you're going to do a demo you would tune twice!
Thats not even his guitar I don't think. I believe someone handed it to him and stuck the camera in his face!! Judge nothing by that clip. It was not a demo. Lol!

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Thats not even his guitar I don't think. I believe someone handed it to him and stuck the camera in his face!! Judge nothing by that clip. It was not a demo. Lol!
That clip is on Scott Lerner's YouTube channel.

Thus I assume he was there too.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
That rig is PRS > pedal board > ODS.

He's been using the Zendrive into the clean channel of the ODS in recent years, but that definitely sounds like the lead channel to me with no pedal.

Reactions: Tag

Tag

That clip is on Scott Lerner's YouTube channel.

Thus I assume he was there too.
I was not there. I am guessing as to what happened as Steve is a badass player. He studied with Vic Juris and use to participate in the jams we had here years ago. He was always among the best. He posts great stuff on FB all the time. Trust me when I tell you he is really good, and that clip should be thrown away.
:)

I was talking to my band buddy today and I told him I could see myself buying another Cobra next year...
Can you just hold off until mid year to make sure he's finished building my HD12? :)

All these Cobra builds are delaying and slowing him down from important work

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I dug the Brown Note IDF-100 I had, now I miss it. It was a Skyliner. Loved the drive. Had to play very delicate to bring out the goods, but it sang really nice me thinks.

This is just camera mic, but I think it comes through:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
I dug the Brown Note IDF-100 I had, now I miss it. It was a Skyliner. Loved the drive. Had to play very delicate to bring out the goods, but it sang really nice me thinks.

This is just camera mic, but I think it comes through:

That sounds great.

I've never heard of that amp before.

Tag

That sounds great.

I've never heard of that amp before.
Just had one at my house 2 months ago for a few weeks. A friend of Lou owns it. Their low wattage amps were sweet. Moss was a good guy. Is he building again?
They made a Chuck D model for a while Blues.
Thats going way back!
Adding. At the amp show I attended the Brown note was my second fave ODS style amp after the Two Rock E.Pro.

Last edited:

Trending Topics