Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
Any other colors emerged on Cobra besides the three that has been posted ?
By the way, the amp tone and feel is the number one criteria but I confess that tolex finish and color plays a role in my liking it too haha
Red, blue, black.

I will likely end up putting mine in a brown suede with black vox cloth head.

Last edited:

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
This right here. :aok

BTW, I thought we'd of heard a bazillion new clips from you by now with the new DAW...what's up??

Here you go Kern. A new clip from today. Some of the faster Benson lines I have been working on in the middle. Not quite there yet, but almost. I stop playing for a few seconds in the middle, because the backing track speeds up and then slows down. Odd, but thats how it came over you tube. It sounds like it skips, so I just wait until that stops and then start playing again. Fun track from way back! I can post backing if anyone wants it.

I think I got the sound pretty good in reaper! Im getting better at it!
:)

Tele on Bridge pup, gains set very low on amp. Mesa cab. twisted Tele pups in tele.

daveg777

Of which Dumble? Comparison clips?
This was of 183, all parts needed were removed and measured, from input jack out.
Shad then made his own 6L6 version. Lou had full access to 3 Quinns, and all internal pics and measurements of the Dumble.
More info will be forthcoming when I have time.
(Work is insane)
Here is what the amp sounds like. A/B clips of it the Quinns, and the Dumble will also be forthcoming.

Listen to the HOWLING!!
:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana
:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude
:bow:bow:bow

OMG!!!!!!!! Beautiful TAG!!!!!

Reactions: Tag

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Sounding good my man! Some sweet lines in there.

Have you spent much time on the Peter Farrell stuff? Only thing I work on anymore. I woke up at 2am this morning with more diminished substitution ideas for the V7 lol. He has some nice articulation thoughts for the faster Benson lines too.
The only 'downside' is, it's becoming harder and harder to pull off the pop/rock stuff for youtube as it feels so wrong now.

:beer

Here you go Kern. A new clip from today. Some of the faster Benson lines I have been working on in the middle. Not quite there yet, but almost. I stop playing for a few seconds in the middle, because the backing track speeds up and then slows down. Odd, but thats how it came over you tube. It sounds like it skips, so I just wait until that stops and then start playing again. Fun track from way back! I can post backing if anyone wants it.

Tele on Bridge pup, gains set very low on amp. Mesa cab. twisted Tele pups in tele.

Tag

Sounding good my man! Some sweet lines in there.

Have you spent much time on the Peter Farrell stuff? Only thing I work on anymore. I woke up at 2am this morning with more diminished substitution ideas for the V7 lol. He has some nice articulation thoughts for the faster Benson lines too.
The only 'downside' is, it's becoming harder and harder to pull off the pop/rock stuff for youtube as it feels so wrong now.

:beer
Hey Kern!
Yes great stuff! I bought one or two of the books, but spend some time on his videos.
I studied with Richie Hart who studied under GB as well, and still teaches at Berkley. I know all of the theory and the method, so working with the slowdowns on actual GB tunes still gets me the most mileage. Working through Paquito Spanish/ Paquito Funk right now. Absolutely ridiculous playing, all with Benson thumb. No real difficult technique, just George's inner hearing and imagination that makes it so unreal.
The guy is the best. Check this entire tune out.
His scatting/guitar and the straight up guitar solo. Mind blowing. He just plays the most interesting lines, all with that blues feel and heartfelt emotion. What a talent.

Last edited:

8nthatK

Silver Supporting Member
Couldn't agree more! He's a beast.

I wanted to add; it's him singing everything that he plays (maybe better put...he plays everything he sings) that gives him that incredible phrasing/timing IMO. Just insane.

The guy is the best. Check this entire tune out.
His scatting/guitar and the straight up guitar solo. Mind blowing. He just plays the most interesting lines, all with that blues feel and heartfelt immotion. What a talent.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member

That's sonically one of the best things you've posted IMHO.

I'm keen on the backing track if you're comfortable posting it.

Tag

That's sonically one of the best things you've posted IMHO.

I'm keen on the backing track if you're comfortable posting it.
Appreciate the feedback blues. Here is a mix where I cut way back on the verb and decreased the guitar volume. Think its better??

I will get the backing up for you tonight. Its a blast to play on!

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
Appreciate the feedback blues. Here is a mix where I cut way back on the verb and decreased the guitar volume. Think its better??

next one could be called “feedback blues”, demonstrating the controlled feedback deal.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member

I think the guitar mix is better in this one, but I like the reverb in the first one.

That's just personal taste though.

Trending Topics