Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Nov 8, 2019.

1. aeolian

aeolian Member

You might be surprised just how good a cell phone mic (or in the case of a modern phone, mic array) is. They are very carefully tested for frequency response, THD, dynamic range and other artifacts on every phone made. There is an immense amount of DSP going on to perform beam steering (limiting room reflections) and FR corrections to a point no studio recording microphone can get within the same zip code. Multiple sample conversions and internet transmission will have a much greater effect. You could put a pristine RCA 44 or U47 up there and you'd be hearing those mics, using the cell phone is letting you hear the amp.

voodoosound, Northerner and Tag like this.
  2. aeolian

aeolian Member

BTW, that amp sounds great Tag. I've been away from this place for awhile and recent sold my Fuchs and cabinet. Kind of went in a blackface Fender direction. But I can tell that is the sound you've been chasing for all these years.

Tag likes this.
  3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I thought you were chasing the natural 6th sound?

Tag likes this.
  4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think we're all a bit wiser and more gentle than a few years ago (and older, yeah). Both "sides" have changed.

Vai81 and Tag like this.
  5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Huh??
    I have always been a gentle soul!
    :banana

6. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Gold Supporting Member

They will put the moderators out of business :)

bsic, Tag and Vai81 like this.
  7. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

not wanting to derail the thread, but that is simply not true when recording guitar amps, sorry.
    three specific problem areas, where even a lowly 57 into a $50 Behringer preamp does much better :
    1. SPL - phone mics clip really fast, this means you are forced to place them far away from the amp, introducing a certain amount of "room mud" around the notes, like a short dark reverb without pre-delay.
    2. this undesirable effect is exaggerated by the Automatic Gain Control (think beefy compressor / limiter meant to keep the electronics from clipping), this is the awkward "whoosh" ducking effect you hear when going from talk to the (orders of magnitude) louder guitar amp.
    3. to add insult to injury, this AGC (goes by different fancy names per brand, but is still the same old junk hated in the first little cassette recorders) completely nukes all the wonderful dynamic nuances we are so proud of - note attack ? fuggedaboutit, not supported. :(
    don't get me wrong, mobile phones are the perfect means to google (shudder) the latest iOS bugs while sitting on the toilet :bow - but amp recording, no ma'am ! :nono

still, a phone clip is always better than no clip, of course ! :)
    I guess we can all agree that there's nothing like hands-on testing on stage, or in a studio session, with your own guitar.
    clips of any type are a welcome tool to find candidates for closer, personal testing. :aok
    just be aware of what you can't hear ...

ymmv, back on topic,
    Rhino

RCCola, RAG7890, plerman and 3 others like this.
  8. Tag

Ah yes!
    Close miced into Roland digital recorder BEFORE the correct transformers. It sounds way better now. Listen to that sucker howl!!!
    :banana:banana:banana:banana

NaLahm, Jim S, donfrantz and 4 others like this.
  9. Tag

Clean clips with @Bluesful backing tonight!
    :beer

Bluesful likes this.
  10. aeolian

aeolian Member

Tag's recordings were at speaking levels, so clipping and AGC concerns were moot. I build products with MEMs microphones and work with some amazing audio engineers who do the DSP tuning on them. Things have progressed a long way from simple electret mics in older phones. You're way out of your depth technically.

Tag likes this.
  11. Tag

While I agree you cant match a good audio clip with a phone, you are absolutely right in that I was not overloading the phone at all, and it gives a fairly good representation of how the amp sounds. Listen to my video clips, and then my audio clip above. Very very close!! Yes the audio is compressed on youtube, but I have it as a wave file on my computer, and there is very little audible difference. Again, of course a good recording set up cant be matched with a phone, but its WAY more accurate than these guys recording amps with great equipment and then editing after the fact!!! That's going on everywhere, and guys are going to be very disappointed or surprised when they hear the amp in person and it sounds very different than the clips. Not here!!! Go check one out in person!! Will sound just like my clips!
    :aok

JK1965 likes this.
  12. aeolian

aeolian Member

The test fixtures we set up for consumer products with MEMs mics (I've long left Dolby and now work for a large consumer electronics company) compare the product mics to expensive B&K or DPA instrumentation mics. The bandwidth of our smart speaker mics is flat way out to ultrasonics, I work with a bunch of former Apple audio engineers and they did the same things on their phones. I had no idea until I became part of that industry. I bought into the conventional wisdom that no tiny thing shoved into a phone as an afterthought could keep up with a proper recording mic. Now I look at my mic locker and realize that I have a bunch of highly colored instruments for painting sonic pictures, but none of it is accurate.

JoeB63 and bsic like this.
  13. bsic

bsic Supporting Member

DONNY, YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT.

ProfRhino likes this.
  14. Tag

CLOSE MICED ROLAND DIGITAL RECORDER.
    LOL!
    MY clean tones! Big fat Tele neck tones for an almost archtop like tone. All settings at noon.
    MV down, but WELL above talking level. Shouting level maybe.
    @Bluesful thanks for the cool and fun backing. Very easy which I need right now.

15. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

yup, recording sounds better to me - great job ! :aok
    personally, I would still work on getting it a bit less roomy and shift the focus more towards the higher than the lower mids, but I'm a "relatively dry, in your face" kind of person, so file that under "matter of taste".
    but here's a different thing - I actually like the amp tone (as opposed to the recording) in your 1st PRS clip better (the one you posted simultaneously with the Tele), more bite when feedback sets in - is that the trannies, or maybe the presence glitch ?
    whatever it is, sounds good to me !

all that said, disclaimer :
    it's easy to comment about what you like or dislike about a clip, everybody can do that.
    it's fairly straightforward to get things right when you're "there" in the room, but it might take some experimenting. You have the original to compare, the rest is doable.
    dissecting a clip remotely however, or pinpointing specific causes, is really hard - even small things, like the guitar being slightly louder in this latest clip, can throw off judgement.
    I might well be mistaken here, wouldn't be the first time. :dunno

bottom line - I'll keep watching your fine clips and I'm learning some little things from every single one, interesting stuff ! :cool:
    thanks for that,
    Rhino

Tag likes this.
  16. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

well shouted ! :D
    that sounds really fantastic now ! :love:
    great, fluid playing as well, you seem to have fun,
    Rhino

Tag likes this.
  17. DiPa

It sounds great Tag, like!

Tag likes this.
  18. 65 Strat

65 Strat Member

I have nothing to add to this thread other than: I think we can cool it with the emojis and dancing bananas, guys.

DiPa likes this.
  19. DiPa

Dancing bananas gets my vote :)

Tag likes this.
  20. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

That sounds good.

I think your playing is actually really good on this one.