Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

Fuchsaudio

I don't want to be the guy who get's Tag's little Lou-Fest nuked honestly. I do find it funny that the many offers of Tag coming to the shop and having an impromptu ampfest get glossed-over and ignored. Heck, bring your best Louis, bring your employees amazing Shad amp, we'll make some coffee or pop a beer open and play...heck bring Lou along, we know one another.

Tag did let on that Shad modded his amp with a six-way bright switch. Can't tell if that was a joke or an accidental admission...

FWIW: It's been confirmed Shad lives in NJ now (not far from where I'm gigging tomorrow in Sussex county actually), and also not all that far from Lou, so I hypothesized the possibility that their working together under the radar. Everyone got all upset and the thread blew up. You can't blame me for wondering... Shad being a 'marked-man' by the many he ripped off, I doubt he'll come back from it, but he could be scratching the itch to build by working for someone else.

Whatever. Off on vacation for a few days.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
we should tally up how many of those 80 came from this thread. i’ll go first. mine did.
I think Lou said he's make 80 or so Cobras so far. If he can get double the price in an auction but sells less than half as many, he looses out (assuming he doesn't use his freed up time to do something else productive). Most businesses try to expand or cut corners to fill excess demand, but that doesn't seem to be Lou's style. He's a perfectionist.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
I was mistaken as well. I also thought that the employee's amp was a clone of 183 that for some reason had some extra special tone magic going on.

I'm glad it came up again and I didn't know until Lou told me either IIRC. My memory of it all is a bit blurry but my employee ordered a 183, (through me) and I was told 3 to 6 months from Shad. It took 2 years. I was not sure he was going to get it at all as my pedal had not come from Shad either and we both had paid in full. I called and was able to speak to his wife who said it was going out in a few days. I was skeptical, but sure enough the tracking # popped up and it arrived. I plugged in and :oops:. I thought it was just an exceptionally good one because it was so clear. When Lou looked inside is when I found out how different it was. I may have realized the transformers were bigger because of the weight and I looked before that, but not sure.

In any case, I hope that clears it up once and for all. They are very different amps both externally and internally.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
I don't want to be the guy who get's Tag's little Lou-Fest nuked honestly. I do find it funny that the many offers of Tag coming to the shop and having an impromptu ampfest get glossed-over and ignored. Heck, bring your best Louis, bring your employees amazing Shad amp, we'll make some coffee or pop a beer open and play...heck bring Lou along, we know one another.

Tag did let on that Shad modded his amp with a six-way bright switch. Can't tell if that was a joke or an accidental admission...

FWIW: It's been confirmed Shad lives in NJ now (not far from where I'm gigging tomorrow in Sussex county actually), and also not all that far from Lou, so I hypothesized the possibility that their working together under the radar. Everyone got all upset and the thread blew up. You can't blame me for wondering... Shad being a 'marked-man' by the many he ripped off, I doubt he'll come back from it, but he could be scratching the itch to build by working for someone else.

maybe it’s because your avatar says “stay home”! just kiddin’ ya. ampfest sounds fun!

Louis Rosano

Hi Andy
For the record, no one else builds the Cobras
They are completely 100 % hand built by ME AND ONLY ME.

Senor Forum

No dog in this hunt, personally. That being said, this thread is pure gold.

Tag

Hi Andy
For the record, no one else builds the Cobras
They are completely 100 % hand built by ME AND ONLY ME.

Well there you have it. Andy's attempt at slagging a competitor blows up in his face yet again.

Senor Forum

Well there you have it. Andy's attempt at slagging a competitor blows up in his face yet again.

It never seemed that he was attempting to, honestly.

That being said, can I offer you a Tic-Tac or anything? Altoid?

Tag

Why I'm responding to this again I have no idea.
I owned 2 of your amps Andy and had the Dumble sitting right next to a new production amp of yours as well. For all our arguing, I have ALWAYS said your amps sound good. Better than many other supposed clones. HOWEVER...
TwoRocks always were closer to all the Dumbles I have played, and the Cobra nails it. It is a totally different thing than your PCB amps. Totally.
And still for the record, I'm always honest, and have never played a Fuchs I did not dig.

Shad?? Have not talked to him since I ordered my employees totally off the hook Quinn.

:banana:banana:banana

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
back to the amps, got totally stuck in a trance last night, playing through this rola g1280 and 70th anni cab, 16 ohm drivers wired for 8 and the amp set to 4 ohms, 100 watts, which i guess means about 70 with the mismatch. really gorgeous sound and feel.

Tag

back to the amps, got totally stuck in a trance last night, playing through this rola g1280 and 70th anni cab, 16 ohm drivers wired for 8 and the amp set to 4 ohms, 100 watts, which i guess means about 70 with the mismatch. really gorgeous sound and feel.
Clips? :)
I'm not sure I have ever played G12 80s.
:dunno

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
That really seems to be the best way for this kind of amp. Many want them (me too!) and the dude can only built them so fast. With the auction people really have to pony up, but you end up with an amazing amp, and the builder gets paid well for his intellectual property as well as the physical building of the amp. I never thought I would pay as much for an amp as I have recently, but these amps are unlike anything I’ve played before.

agreed. Definitely removes the potential for customers getting burned. Also seems to put money in the builder’s pocket. Win-win for everyone, I think.

The only problem here is that for now only the seriously wealthy can get their hands on amps that are being sold in this fashion...........

Trending Topics

Top Bottom