Fight of The Best Dumble Clones! Quinn vs Louis Electrics Cobra!

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
The only problem here is that for now only the seriously wealthy can get their hands on amps that are being sold in this fashion...........

Totally agree. :aok

From an Aussie perspective, the higher the price is, the more we get reamed.

As an example, say the Amp cost USD$7,000, we'll have the following: -

USD7,000 / 0.69 = AUD10,145. Then we add in the cost of DHL which will be ~ AUD350 (possibly more depending on the size & weight).

So (10,145 + 350 which is the landed cost) x 1.1 (which covers the 10% Goods Services Tax) = a grand total of AUD$11,545.

So I can factor in a landed cost (at the current exchange rate) of 1.6 the cost of the Amp.

Now you can see about under declaring the value of the Amp, but if you want Insurance (which I did not add on above at ~ 2.5% of the value) then you can't under value. If you are caught under valuing then you can lose your Amp to Border Security, which will then be auctioned off.

Only good thing is we have a mutual free trade agreement (AUSFTA) with the US, so we don't pay a 5% Import Duty.

From a business perspective, I don't begrudge the builders charging what they want or putting it up for auction. My thinking is that they were all undervalued & underpaid previously now they are arguably overvalued & overpaid. Need to find a fair middle ground I think.

Personally, I'd never buy a super expensive Amp (& I can afford them) because it won't improve my playing...........you can't buy, for example, David Gilmour in a Guitar, Amp or Pedal.

I was just about to buy a Gjika at USD$4,500 but didn't go ahead because of the PT issue I have mentioned previously (the same would be the case for the Cobra because it doesn't have a 230/240V / 50Hz Tap). Then I spoke to Rob after he went to Bob's place & almost jumped again but Bob had jacked up his price & the PT just became a total PIA.

The last think I'll say is, unless I am brain dead, I have never seen a 10n or any of the other highly rated "auction" Amps being used by really well known, famous Guitar players in serious numbers (> 2), so I have to wonder................why are they not using them, why should I use them?

Music gear should be about making music not about how deep people's wallets are, although if you blow wads of $$ (& I have done that too) and it is honestly made money, fair call. As I have often told my Wife, at least I can get my $$$ back, if we sell all your Shoes & Handbags, we'll take a major haircut. LMAO. I'm lucky my best friend in this life supports my stupidity.

Lastly, I do want to say that I don't begrudge a builder trying to make as much as possible out of an Amp or Cab or Guitar.

:beer

Last edited:

jujube

Totally agree. :aok

From an Aussie perspective, the higher the price is, the more we get reamed.

As an example, say the Amp cost USD$7,000, we'll have the following: -

USD7,000 / 0.69 = AUD10,145. Then we add in the cost of DHL which will be ~ AUD350 (possibly more depending on the size & weight).

So (10,145 + 350 which is the landed cost) x 1.1 (which covers the 10% Goods Services Tax) = a grand total of AUD$11,545.

So I can factor in a landed cost (at the current exchange rate) of 1.6 the cost of the Amp.

Now you can see about under declaring the value of the Amp, but if you want Insurance (which I did not add on above at ~ 2.5% of the value) then you can't under value. If you are caught under valuing then you can lose your Amp to Border Security, which will then be auctioned off.

Only good thing is we have a mutual free trade agreement (AUSFTA) with the US, so we don't pay a 5% Import Duty.

From a business perspective, I don't begrudge the builders charging what they want or putting it up for auction. My thinking is that they were all undervalued & underpaid previously now they are arguably overvalued & overpaid. Need to find a fair middle ground I think.

Personally, I'd never buy a super expensive Amp (& I can afford them) because it won't improve my playing...........you can't buy, for example, David Gilmour in a Guitar, Amp or Pedal.

I was going just about to buy a Gjika at USD$4,500 but didn't go ahead because of the PT issue I have mentioned previously (the same would be the case for the Cobra because it doesn't have a 250 / 50 Tap). Then I spoke to Rob after he went to Bob's place & almost jumped again but Bob had jacked up his price & the PT just became a total PIA.

The last think I'll say is, unless I am brain dead, I have never seen a 10n or any of the other highly rated "auction" Amps being used by really well known, famous Guitar players in serious numbers (> 2), so I have to wonder................why are they not using them, why should I use them?

Music gear should be about making music not about how deep people's wallets are, although if you blow wads of $$ (& I have done that too) and it is honestly made money, fair call. As I have often told my Wife, at least I can get my $$$ back, if we sell all your Shoes & Handbags, we'll take a major haircut. LMAO. I'm lucky my best friend in this life supports my stupidity.

Lastly, I do want to say that I don't begrudge a builder trying to make as much as possible out of an Amp or Cab or Guitar.

At the end of the day, most people use vintage/modern Fenders, Marshalls, Vox or boutique variants of these designs. :) It's really fine for most of us.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
Not a pro by a long shot, but I would assume most pros use readily available gear. If you can specify your backline its likely gear most would recognize. You don’t often see exotic gear onstage. Exceptions are there, of course. Phish using Komet, Mule with his Diez, Trucks with his Alessandro, Paisley and Trainwreck, etc. I don’t explore as much as I should, and hate to admit I had never heard of Shawn Lane before I accidentally discovered Gjika amps a few months ago. What a monster player! What a monster amp! There are currently 60 Gjika 10n amps in the world.

BP used to say his Trainwrecks had their own seat on the plane. I think he uses Dr. Z amps on the road now. They are readily available, and probably get close enough in a live situation. The Trainwrecks are irreplaceable. Period.

Frankly, I’ll bet 100% of us would be just fine with a Seiko, but many will still want a Rolex, and if you can swing it, go for it!

beckstriad

I'm frosting a cake with a paper knife
Double Platinum Member
Not a pro by a long shot, but I would assume most pros use readily available gear. If you can specify your backline its likely gear most would recognize. You don’t often see exotic gear onstage. Exceptions are there, of course. Phish using Komet, Mule with his Diez, Trucks with his Alessandro, Paisley and Trainwreck, etc. I don’t explore as much as I should, and hate to admit I had never heard of Shawn Lane before I accidentally discovered Gjika amps a few months ago. What a monster player! What a monster amp! There are currently 60 Gjika 10n amps in the world.

BP used to say his Trainwrecks had their own seat on the plane. I think he uses Dr. Z amps on the road now. They are readily available, and probably get close enough in a live situation. The Trainwrecks are irreplaceable. Period.

Frankly, I’ll bet 100% of us would be just fine with a Seiko, but many will still want a Rolex, and if you can swing it, go for it!

There are more than a few rig rundowns I watch that have a lot of this rare gear in the collection, or at least personal stuff. Also, I’ve seen a few of the studio guys here mention that a lot of recording artists use some of these really coveted amps on recorded stuff. A lot of it may be uncredited or unknown. This stuff definitely doesn’t only become legendary because a few internet chuckleheads are bidding at an auction. I’m the most chuckle headed of the chuckleheads in that regard. I have no business owning/playing what I play, but I love them!

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
There are more than a few rig rundowns I watch that have a lot of this rare gear in the collection, or at least personal stuff. Also, I’ve seen a few of the studio guys here mention that a lot of recording artists use some of these really coveted amps on recorded stuff. A lot of it may be uncredited or unknown. This stuff definitely doesn’t only become legendary because a few internet chuckleheads are bidding at an auction. I’m the most chuckle headed of the chuckleheads in that regard. I have no business owning/playing what I play, but I love them!

Recently there was a thread about the tones of the '80s which of course was an era where boutique was rare. While many are credited with playing Marshalls or Fenders, it sounds like most of them were heavily modded by people like Jose or Rivera. Anyway, the search for tone isn't new and if that search isn't interesting to people I'm not sure why they are here.

As for you @beckstriad I applaud your gluttony.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Recently there was a thread about the tones of the '80s which of course was an era where boutique was rare. While many are credited with playing Marshalls or Fenders, it sounds like most of them were heavily modded by people like Jose or Rivera. Anyway, the search for tone isn't new and if that search isn't interesting to people I'm not sure why they are here.

As for you @beckstriad I applaud your gluttony.
Beck does not hang onto his acquisitions, buys and flips :) cannot be gluttony ;)

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
Beck does not hang onto his acquisitions, buys and flips :) cannot be gluttony ;)

Yep, I saw the Classifieds this morning D.

I used to think B was crazy but I sort of get it now, buy & sell to end up with a small groups of Amps that you really love.

You need to spend time with them all to really know. If you lose a few $$$ on the way, that's the cost of admission.

I wasn't much different with Guitars...........until I settled on what I now have.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member

I used to think B was crazy but I sort of get it now, buy & sell to end up with a small groups of Amps that you really love.

You need to spend time with them all to really know. If you lose a few $$$ on the way, that's the cost of admission.

I wasn't much different with Guitars...........until I settled on what I now have.

I sort of did the same thing. Went through a ton of different amps for about a 5 year period. Landed on two, one vintage/one modern, that I adore and more or less put an end to my quest.

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member

I'm definitely crazy. ha ha

There is a semi-method to the madness, though, as you've alluded. I'm sure my tastes will change over time, but I'm down now to the stuff that is reasonably practical to use for me in my current circumstances and inspires me to play every day. Many of you have been incredibly helpful, and this thread has been a large catalyst to helping me discover the exact tone(s) I've been hearing in my head. Also, helped me figure out the stuff that I thought was for me, but ultimately wasn't (at least not now). I do agree that this is not an endeavor to pursue if making money is the end goal. ha ha

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
I'm definitely crazy. ha ha

There is a semi-method to the madness, though, as you've alluded. I'm sure my tastes will change over time, but I'm down now to the stuff that is reasonably practical to use for me in my current circumstances and inspires me to play every day. Many of you have been incredibly helpful, and this thread has been a large catalyst to helping me discover the exact tone(s) I've been hearing in my head. Also, helped me figure out the stuff that I thought was for me, but ultimately wasn't (at least not now). I do agree that this is not an endeavor to pursue if making money is the end goal. ha ha
An expensive method Beck, but if that works for you, all the best. I tend to do more research and checks before buying cause I hate flipping, and I tend to keep my gear a lot longer as I have found over the years that tastes change over time. You could say I am a glutton or gear slut, I love it!

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
Most of these high-end amps can be easily resold for within a few bucks of the new price paid, sometimes more. What store are you going to to try all those rare amps? If one recovers most of what one paid, what does it cost to try out the amp? A little time and effort? Beck’s method is the only way to try all of the amps that have come and gone recently. Not to mention all the clips for the rest of us to scrutinize. At the end of the day he comes out pretty much even, much more knowledgeable, and has the amp(s) he really likes instead of boat anchors that were once the flavor of the month. I know everyone can’t do it that way, just like everyone can’t buy a Lambo or a beach house. I certainly don’t resent those who can. Perhaps they made better choices than I made growing up. As far as the auctions go, how else to deal with a situation where a builder has 100 customers, but can only build a handful of amps? We are also at a unique time in which many old players can afford luxuries they couldn’t afford or didn’t exist when they were younger.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Gents (and women) - I've heard some clips in this thread that I dig ... and I'm not even a "Dumble guy." So, first off, kudos to those that have taken the time to post clips; it's much appreciated

Does anybody have clips of their LE Cobra in a band setting? Would like to hear how the Cobra (head/cab or combo) sounds - and fits in with - a band. Best off (at least for me) would be to hear how a LE Cobra sounds with a band that includes a second guitar and/or keys, in order to hear if it "plays well" with other instruments in the same frequency range. Not concerned about the size of the club; thus, even if your clips are from a smaller venue (i.e., a club seating 150 - 250 people), that would absolutely would suffice.

In lieu of that, if your band rehearses on a nice soundstage, that would be cool too. Really looking to get a better understanding how this killer-looking rig sounds in the context of a full band, as opposed to how it sounds when its isolated and alone in a room or studio.

At least for me, iPhone vids/clips are fine and would more-than suffice (my wife used to video/record my band rehearsals on a large soundstage in FL with her iPhone and, frankly, some of the videos sounded great). In other words, I am not not concerned w/having a mobile sound lab doing a 48-track live mixdown of your band.

Just looking for some solid samples of the Cobra with a full band - preferably in front of a few people. Again, even if the gig is only in front of a 100 or 200 people, that's cool and not an issue.

Thanks in advance to those who are able to post clips on their LE Cobra rigs in a live band environment!

DiPa

Constant GAS
Silver Supporting Member
Most of these high-end amps can be easily resold for within a few bucks of the new price paid, sometimes more. What store are you going to to try all those rare amps? If one recovers most of what one paid, what does it cost to try out the amp? A little time and effort? Beck’s method is the only way to try all of the amps that have come and gone recently. Not to mention all the clips for the rest of us to scrutinize. At the end of the day he comes out pretty much even, much more knowledgeable, and has the amp(s) he really likes instead of boat anchors that were once the flavor of the month. I know everyone can’t do it that way, just like everyone can’t buy a Lambo or a beach house. I certainly don’t resent those who can. Perhaps they made better choices than I made growing up. As far as the auctions go, how else to deal with a situation where a builder has 100 customers, but can only build a handful of amps? We are also at a unique time in which many old players can afford luxuries they couldn’t afford or didn’t exist when they were younger.
I don’t think there is a right or wrong approach here, it’s all about preference and comfort. And depends on the individual goals, some TGP members love adding gear to their collection whereas others do not want more than a couple.For me buying 20 amps to select one amp I feel is a lot of energy and time, I prefer after my research buying one amp and holding it and perhaps one day letting it go when my taste has evolved.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
Bidding for an amp is cool as long as you PLAY IT FIRST!! Then you say OK, this amp to me is worth X amount of dollars. You go up to that point and no more. I had to bid for the Dumble I bought, and after playing it, I was sick because I knew I HAD to have it. Of course it was a Dumble, so I knew I could always easily sell it for at least what I paid most likely, and there was nothing else out there that did what it could do.
It's up to Lou, but I think it's a great way for him to make big $$$. He has sold a ton of these things and the orders just keep coming in. Lou is my age and not getting any younger, and his amps, all of them, are as good as anything out there.

No amp is for everyone, but 99% of guys are crazy about their Cobras. And many, if not most of these guys have owned all of the clones. There is a damn good player right in town who has owned all kinds of boutiques and guitars, and stars the Cobra is the greatest amp he has ever owned and will never sell it. Lou just lent him the amp to see what he thought, and the guy refused to give it back! Lol! He payed Lou and gave him an off the charts dead mint Martin D42 for it in the end. Crazy!

beckstriad

Double Platinum Member

Agreed. Sorry for all the off topic posting. That’s the other part. I’d love to be able to try out most of this stuff, but as you said it’s all really small batch/niche stuff that often just can’t be done. Thankfully, I haven’t been hit too hard.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting this in my case, but I think people often think of profiteering when mentioning flippers. I can definitely say that that hasn’t been the case for me, and I’ve probably truly only made any money on one or two deals and then not substantial sums to me. Though I never went in to it for that, and I don’t care about investments in terms of music gear. Cool if it appreciates over time, but I like to play. I feel quite fortunate to play what I’ve gotten to play. Never dreamed I would in a million years.

Ultimately, I’m a hack guitar player dude in my mid-30s that works like a dog and enjoys guitar gear. This place has been fantastic to me in that regard.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom