Filing Bridge saddles

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by eksfiles, Apr 8, 2011.

1. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Stupid question here; I purchased a replacement stoptail piece (Badass) style, that has individual saddles, that seem like they will be too high. They aren't those smaller saddles that you see on PRS tail pieces.

What is the likelihood of getting the saddles filed down and keep the functionality of them? Here is a pic of what I bought, and what I am hoping to file them down to

pic#1

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html

and pic#2 - the third pic down

http://www.pigtailmusic.com/pigtailImages/intonatable_bridge_lg.jpg

2. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

3. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

4. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

i think you can file them down to get the height you want. but the loss of some metal might change the tone somewhat. i filed down a three piece tele saddle to have some compensation and while i got the compensation down, the tone suffered due to the loss of metal

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Yes you can file the saddles down. They're usually brass and are very soft. Start with adjusting the depth of the string notch before you go whole hog. Tone? Maybe it will change, but the tone will be better than if your action is way to high and you can't play it.

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I don't get it. Why not just lower the whole bridge instead of filing down the saddles? Or won't it go low enough to get the action you want?

7. strat56

strat56 Member

Is the neck angle adjustable?

8. Dale

Dale Member

Most bridges are intended to be custom fit to the guitar and fretboard. Set the string height at high and low strings. Then file the string height to match the fretboard radius for the remainder of the strings. Set intonation and go.

9. eksfiles

eksfiles Member

Well I will give it a go. Thanks to all who responded. I will check the nut and the neck before I start filing anything down.