Filing Sharp Fret Ends - First Timer

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mickslick, Feb 21, 2009.

1. mickslick

mickslick Member

I know this has been asked before, but, I have a couple lower end guitars that I'm not afraid to attempt filing fret ends on.

The Stew Mac diamond files are obviously made for the job, but pretty expensive. Are there any alternative files I can pick up at home depot or somewhere that would serve the bill for filing ends?

And, any quick description of technique would be appreciated i.e. tape off / filing approach.

Thanks.

2. doublee

doublee Member

Be awful careful that this isnt a humidity issue, and the frets wont be sharp in the summertime for instance. You can file away but you cant put it back.

3. Peeb

Peeb Member

I had an Epi that was like that. When I made a humidifier and kept it in the case with the guitar, the ends stopped sticking out.

4. joeburke

joeburke Member

I had an MIM standard strat with sharp ends. I just used the file on my multi-tool thing. Worked pretty good. I was careful not to nick the wood...You can tape the side of the fretboard to prevent damage, but I didn't bother.