Fill in an overdrive of your choice on this pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by duality, Aug 14, 2019.

1. jcs

jcs Member

Im down to a TurboRat....it comes and goes on my board depending on the guitar/amp chain....but i will NEVER sell it like i have with other Rats LOL!

monty likes this.
  2. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

You already have 6 more overdrives than I use. Hell, you have more overdrives than I have pedals total.
    If it works for you, cool. I realised a long time ago that nobody listening to me can hear 1 overdrive from another, I cant even tell when listening to some of the biggest names playing guitar. People argue about whether someone is direct to amp or has a fuzz pedal turned on so telling the difference between 2 klons isn't a musical debate.

Like I say, if you're enjoying it then keep going, have your 2 klons, just dont kid yourself that you need them because of the music

3. duality

duality Supporting Member

right. i dont look down on people who don't have a lot of gear, and i don't look down on people that have a lot of gear.

no one is trying to have a discussion about comparing 2 klons either. this is just a weird post altogether. i made a thread looking for overdrive recommendations.

4. jcs

jcs Member

As i stated, i too own a 60's Ampeg...these are unique circuits....even though my 67 Ampeg Gemini II has a single 15 speaker (again its "own thing") the amp speaker setup is unique compared to most modern and popular amps.

My 71 Smallbox 50 is WAY different than my 63 Tremolux in response, yet i can get great Marshall sounds with the 63 Tremolux with the right speaker combo, which is a Marshall 4x12 with Celestion 80's.

I would need to hear your Ampeg 'in the room' so to speak because it is a unique amp (but a very good one).

Im not playing my 67 Ampeg Gemini II until i check it over for leaking caps (though it functions fine).

i might add, everytime i have recapped an old amp the amp becomes tighter with more clarity and usually quieter...keep that in mind fwiw!

5. duality

this is my 2nd reverberocket from that era, first one was a '67 this is a '66

I just had it serviced by arguably the best amp guy in my state (MI), he swapped out one of the original westinghouse tubes for a sylvania that was damn near a perfect match. This thing sounds fantastic.
    Put in a reconed rola alnico. There's a lot of 60's greatness going on.

There is a big difference in eq balance between the 2 main rooms i play the amp in, one being my living room, the other being the practice space on a "sound enhancer" which is an awesome thing. Need to turn the trebles up a lot in the practice space, which is a fairly big garage with concrete floor
    Having said that aside from the EQ balance my tone stays from room #1 to room #2, no need to twiddle the knobs on the pedals, just adjust the Treble or Bass on the amp as required.

jcs likes this.
  6. jcs

jcs Member

I keep a cheapo Boss CS3 comp set very light into my Gemini II as the amp has the treble dimed but the CS3 has a treble knob which helps greatly and shaves off some peaks in the front of the signal set light and i can adjust its treble accordingly.

I had a lot of 15's come and go in this amp btw....wound up with a heavy 70's Fender Utah 15 as it had the right EQ balance.

The way the old alnico speakers compress plays into the sound/response....some OD pedals are mush thru older rigs!

7. duality

totally. even worse than OD's are fuzzes, they have to be set perfectly.
    for some reason running them into the power boost set on low gain works wonders

jcs likes this.
  8. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

9. Truckdub

Truckdub Member

Not an overdrive per se but I’d go with an Xotic EP Booster or other echoplex type boost or preamp. It just makes things sound better.

10. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

DCW Pedals Mountain Lion. Definitely has a cool tweedish character and lots of control over the drive sound without being too complicated. I’ve owned most of the pedals you currently have and I’d definitely say the ML would be a good fit.

Snare227 likes this.
  11. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Cornish P-2. Duh!

12. Bob T.

Bob T. Member

13. Kevsonic

Kevsonic Supporting Member

14. duality

Cool, I had not heard of this one - thank you

Snare227 likes this.
  15. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

If I were you, I’d look at getting a different amp. Those Ampegs are great, but it seems like you’re trying to turn it into something else.

16. duality

I can see why you would think that

17. J5jarod777

J5jarod777 Member

18. duality

I have been digging the demos of the JHS SuperBolt and the Twin Twelve...

However the only stuff that really seems to shine with this rig is the low gain stuff

19. parkhill

parkhill Member

Greer Burning Goat. I set mine up low to mid gain. Sounds great and stacks really well of you decide to go there.

Interestingly I have still never seen a demo that I feel accurately represents it. I bought it on a whim four years ago. I'm glad I did because if I had relied on demos I probably wouldn't have picked it up.

20. duality

thanks i will check that out

i have a personal rule about dirt demos now, i will listen to minimum of 2 of the same dirt pedal before passing judgement. too many times i have heard a demo of a dirt pedal and hated it, then heard another demo of the exact same thing and thought it sounded great.
    and not because the first demo was a bad recording or anything, that would be obvious... i just skip those, they're a waste of time, of course