1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Filter Cap Board Layout for Blackface Fender (AB 763)

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ATL Strat, May 16, 2011.

1. ATL Strat

ATL Strat Member

I see schematics and layouts for the old Fender circuits all over the place, which is great, but none seem to include the layout of the filter cap board. Does anyone have a link to such a layout?

Thanks in advance!

2. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

It varied with the amp. not sure I have ever seen a lay-out for the Dog House.
    But you can see it in the schematic. If you follow the B+ line after the rectifier (be it tube or solid state) those caps are what I believe you are asking about. Other than values, the only real caveat would be the "reservoir" caps. You just need to take note of how those first Two caps are connected, Series or Parallel.
    Hope this info helps........
    Best

3. Structo

Structo Member

Just look at pictures on the web and between that and the schematic shouldn't be any problem with the way they are wired.

For instance, this is a Weber Deluxe Reverb kit photo.
    AB763

[​IMG]

Here is another couple shots of a filter supply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tons of information out there.

4. ATL Strat

ATL Strat Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the great info. My biggest concern was the front-to-back wiring, but I think I've got it figured out. Turns out that the Weber layouts include the filter caps (https://taweber.powweb.com/store/6a40_layout.jpg). They are laid out a bit differently - the big caps that are in series are oriented in the same direction with a connection wire as opposed to different directions in the original Fenders, but it is pretty much the same.

Thanks again for the help!

Mike

5. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

IIRC, Fenders have wiring underneath the board that needs to be taken into account - looks like the Weber does all that up above. When I change caps, I just make sure to go step-by step, take pics when its easy to do and check sources - EL34 World has some good "servicing Fender Amps" information: http://www.el34world.com/charts/fenderservice7.htm

6. ATL Strat

ATL Strat Member

Great point (and great link). I redid the filter cap board in my '68 Super Reverb last night (the old one was warped and very corroded) and was surprised to see all of the wiring under the old board. It wasn't hard to copy the old board to do the new board, but I am still a bit surprised that the board configuration (including underneath wiring) doesn't seemed to be laid out for reference somewhere on the internet. If anyone needs a drawing of how Fender did it, let me know, I can sketch it out for you.

Regards,
    Mike

7. Mars Hall

Mars Hall Member

8. rastlr

rastlr Member

Mike,

I agree; it's strange that you can't find the wiring laid out on the internet. The closest I've found is this link:

http://littlebrotherblues.com/Gear/Blackface-Super-Restoration/index.html

If you're still offering, I'd very much like to get a sketch of the underneath wiring. I have a bit of a puzzle with my 66 Showman AB763 and any info would help with it.

Thanks,
    Larry