filtering out electrical line noise

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by zenpicker, Aug 5, 2005.

1. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

hello all - I was trying to record some quiet acoustic stuff out in the country last week and kept getting a sort of oceanic hiss through the preamp....tried everything to isolate it but it wasn't a bad cable, phase issue, crosstalk, or anything I knew to look for. The same setup worked dead silently back in the city. My best guess is that the electric supply in the country is very dirty--if it's anything like the crackly phone line, I can just imagine what it would do to a sensitive preamp.

Can anyone recommend (quickly--going back to the place tomorrow!) an affordable line power conditioning box to use? Needs to be more than a UPS, as I want it to sense and level out momentary transients that create noise. Thanks in advance....

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'm using a combination of iso x-former, a step-up x-former, large Opti UPS and rack mount power strips. If it's just one offending piece of gear, you might want to try the Ebtech humX first. They're inexpensive. If you need something more, the Furman ar-15 is nice.

3. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

thanks - since I was in a hurry to get something before leaving town I just snagged a Monster Power filter unit, which appears promising. Will find out tomorrow when I fire it up.

4. elambo

elambo Member

Not sure which Monster unit you got, but I had some line noise problems (coming in through my satellite dish of all things) and the Monster filter cleaned it right up.

5. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

To close the loop...I just spent about 6 hours recording with the Monster Power unit interposed between my equipment and my noisy power source and it did the trick *totally!* Dead quiet. I love it. Good $70 investment.