Filtertron vs Toaster

cob666

I've had no luck finding any detailed information comparing these pickups.

I'm thinking about ordering a guitar from a small shop luthier and one of the pickup options are Filtertrons. I have very little to no experience with the Gretsch/Rickenbacker style of pickups so I would like some assistance.

How would you explain the differences between Filtertron and Toaster pups. Might as well toss in any opinions you have on the HiGain pickups well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

TChen

I'm also really interested in hearing someone's comparison of these.

I made the switch from hi-gains to toasters about a year ago; I'm loving the toasters, but have been thinking about selling them to fund my space echo repair.

No real Gretsch experience here, but I LOVE the chimey, gritty character I assume are from the Filtertrons... Troggs, Velvet Underground, a lot of 50s/60s r&b, etc. I've also wondered how a direct comparison between the toasters and filtertrons would go.

VicAjax

Male Supermodel
Gold Supporting Member
old Toasters and new Toasters are apparently very different. They have consistently been wound hotter and hotter over the years. In the 50s/early 60s, Toasters measured around 5k ohms, then around 7.5k ohms in the late 60s-70s. The reissue Toasters in the 80s were around 8.5k ohms and I think the recent versions have measured around 12-15k.

There's one website that recommends removing about half the winds from the new Toasters to get closer to the sound of vintage Rics.

Wayne Alexander

Silver Supporting Member
Those pickups sound NOTHING alike. Filtertrons - Brian Setzer and much of the Reverend Horton Heat rockabilly stuff, Pete Townshend's guitar work on the Who's Next album, Malcom Young's stuff with AC/DC, some early 60s Chet Atkins are some examples. Toasters - REM, John Fogerty in early Creedence, Byrds, some early Tom Petty sounds, lots of Jangle-rock sounds.

Devin

Low Voltage
They are both traditionally low resistance pickups, the constructions are different. They can both jangle and rock but filters have hum-bucking. Also, filters are much much more common. Aftermarket for toasters are usually pricey and require a hassle to install. Only ever talked about in terms of Tom Petty and Rick's.

I would love to hear a comparison.

Dave1

Really different sounds. The filters are bright hums, but they really growl. Toasters are all about the high end with a very distinctive chime on top.

Trending Topics