Finally! a good foot controller for IOS

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
I will also work with mac, windows and other mobile OS. But its a killer controller and looks pro.

Madmax25

I've been waiting for this for some months now. Good to see it in the flesh. This might be the interface that gets me into iOS modelling...

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
I'm having trouble understanding this one.

What does it do besides switch things in the host system?

How do you hook it up? Cable across the floor?

Is it wireless? WiFi? Bluetooth?

If it's on the floor, I'll have to put my instrument wireless receiver
on the floor too, or else run another long cable.

What are all the knobs for, and why are there so many on a footswitch.

Are there CC inputs?

I'm not hating. I even use the Guitar Jack 2 and like it a lot.

I've seen pix and video of this, but I'm having trouble comprehending exactly what I'm looking at...

I've outgrown the GJ2 and am looking to upgrade, but I need a better grip on whatever this one is before I decide.

Ringleader42

The sign in the video says 30 pin, lightning,and USB cables included. This looks great. 24 bit and it has mic and guitar inputs! Looking forward to more info on this one.

quadraphonics

It is really the 'chicken or the egg' kind of conundrum, isn't it. That said, if it can come in under $300, I would get it just to play with. Just don't know how long I am willing to wait.

Randall

Now if only there were an iOS app worthy of this foot controller. :p

:sarcasm

Ringleader42

Sonoma Wireworks GuitarJack Stage
Studio quality I/O and pedal controller for desktop and mobile.
Target street price: $199.00
Solid aluminum chasis
24-bit AD/DA converters designed by Joe Bryan
1/4" jacks for all connections, including guitar input, stereo mic/line-in, wah control pedal input, line out left, line out right, and stereo headphones
60 dB input level control at the analog
5 physical multi-purpose knobs
4 physical multi-purpose foot control switches
2 input level knobs
4 foot switch LED indicators
3 LED indicator
Comes with 3 detachable 4ft cables: 30 pin, Lightning, and USB
Allows for charging when used with iOS devices
*All pricing features subject to change. All iOS features subject to Apple approval.

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=16416

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
Sonoma Wireworks GuitarJack Stage
Studio quality I/O and pedal controller for desktop and mobile.
Target street price: $199.00
Solid aluminum chasis
24-bit AD/DA converters designed by Joe Bryan
1/4" jacks for all connections, including guitar input, stereo mic/line-in, wah control pedal input, line out left, line out right, and stereo headphones
60 dB input level control at the analog
5 physical multi-purpose knobs
4 physical multi-purpose foot control switches
2 input level knobs
4 foot switch LED indicators
3 LED indicator
Comes with 3 detachable 4ft cables: 30 pin, Lightning, and USB
Allows for charging when used with iOS devices
*All pricing features subject to change. All iOS features subject to Apple approval.

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=16416
I really want this to be something I want, but I'm still having problems understanding a few things.

How am I supposed to use a floor pedal tethered to my iPad with a 4 foot cable?

When I have the iPad in a stand at eye level while I'm standing, the pedal will be dangling approximately a foot off the ground...

I have a Guitar Jack 2 already that I like a lot but I need a few more features so I'm looking for something like this.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
The big issue here is to get the app designers on board with it and add support. Either that, or Sonoma Wireworks will need to go into the app business.

However, if they could sweet talk Positivegrid to add support in Bias and Jamup, that would be a killer combination. Those apps can sound fantastic, but controlling the apps on stage and getting the tone out without tons of noise is difficult to do with current hardware.

Have to say I do not see the need for the tone knobs on the floor unit. Why kneel down to tweak them when you can just tweak them on the iPad near you? And I don't see why these iOS device manufacturers seem fixated on only 4 buttons. I want 10; one row of 5 for presets, and the other row for turning effects on and off. Been using my HD500 like this for years and it works great.

This unit could also use another CC input for volume.

But I will be watching this with much interest. The iOS app tones are definitely there already, we just need some low noise high quality stage peripherals to control that tone and get it to the masses.

rbrogan

The big issue here is to get the app designers on board with it and add support. Either that, or Sonoma Wireworks will need to go into the app business.

However, if they could sweet talk Positivegrid to add support in Bias and Jamup, that would be a killer combination. Those apps can sound fantastic, but controlling the apps on stage and getting the tone out without tons of noise is difficult to do with current hardware.

Have to say I do not see the need for the tone knobs on the floor unit. Why kneel down to tweak them when you can just tweak them on the iPad near you? And I don't see why these iOS device manufacturers seem fixated on only 4 buttons. I want 10; one row of 5 for presets, and the other row for turning effects on and off. Been using my HD500 like this for years and it works great.

This unit could also use another CC input for volume.

But I will be watching this with much interest. The iOS app tones are definitely there already, we just need some low noise high quality stage peripherals to control that tone and get it to the masses.
Sonoma Wireworks is, and has been, in the app business for a long time. I've used their app Fourtrack for a couple years now, and it's still my go too quick recording app. I saw a few hints of this product line last year, and it got me real excited. Really glad to see them following through with it. Sonoma Wire Works really seems to put a lot of thought into the quality and usability of their stuff.

Concerning working with other apps, I have a hard time imagining that they would only make this work with their own apps.

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
JamUp, Amplitube, AmpKit+ all work fine with the Guitar Jack 2...

No reason to suspect that they wouldn't work fine with GuitarJack Stage

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
The audio part of the interface will probably work just fine with most any app, but the switching and pots are the questionable things to me. I have been working with Jamup the last few weeks trying to work out a live solution, and the effect switching is proving to be a bit of a bear.

Jamup wants to see CC messages to externally control everything, either switches or variable controllers, so the Sonoma unit will probably have to communicate through midi to do its job. The only items you can map to a midi pot/pedal type continuous controller in Jamup is the wah, output volume, and pitch shift. So unless Positivegrid adds the amp controls in midi, or provides deeper support for the unit like they do with the Griffin Stompbox pedal, those knobs on the Guitar Jack Stage won't do their function with Jamup.

FWIW the Griffin Stompbox does not output midi messages, at least they do not show up as such if you have it connected and run a midi monitor. The integration of the Griffin Stompbox to Jamup seems to be proprietary.

I do hope it works well and would probably buy one today if it was on sale and did its function. The entire iOS app world is very promising, but it seems you have to make too many compromises or spend too much money to get it working well live. This unit could make our jobs much easier.