Finally... a WGS Reaper review !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Thames, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Thames

Thames Member

Well....

I ordered a quad of Reaper (the G12h30 clone) from SteamCo in Canada (WGS distributor), 3 weeks ago, and I finally got 'em last week.

Construction : very high quality. Superb paint job on the basket (shiny black), perfect alignment of every parts, from the cone to the WGS sticker! Very impressive work here.

Sound : well... they arent broken-in, but they damn sure sound spot on ! G12H tone aaallll the way, and to my surprise, no shrill highs! A nice, firm bass, but I think they'll loosen with time and provide more of them.... the problem is that Ive played thru a quad of G12H-55hz (Weber) for the last months... so my ears are on the Dark Side these days... :messedup Oh btw.. I have two 4x12.. so I was able to A\B them simultaneously.

Ive heard some people telling they compare much more to the Heritage G12H than the 70th ann. RI. They are right, they have the *exact* voicing of my C1230-55, minus that big bold bass.

They are not just alternatives anymore... they are the real thing, at workingman's price! If you dont care what's written on a magnet, apart from MADE IN USA:), you have a hell of a deal with the Reapers.

s360guitarist likes this.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I see they are now priced only $10 less than the 'real deal' speaker they are meant to clone...are they really better than Celestions?

3. Thames

Thames Member

Uh!!... the new price on the G12H30 is 129$ (@GuitarCenter and Music123). The Reaper is 79$.

Celestion has pumped up the price on all their speakers, and moved their production to China, as you may know. So you pay even MORE for an imported product... which is against logical.

And btw, it compares more to the Heritage G12h (which is 219$) than the 70th ann. edition.

4. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

I am using a Reaper right now in my 1x12 cab - I am still breaking it in, but it sounds pretty sweet to me!

- Chris

5. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

you are saying a 79 dollar WGS sounds IDENTICAL to my british mad heritage G12H300 55hz?

6. Thames

Thames Member

In fact, NO, because it is the 75 Hz version, not the 55 Hz... but otherwise, it would be identical... :rotflmao

Trust me, it has the *same* characteristics of my +100$ Webers pre-Rola C1230-55...:tapedshut

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

You can get the G12H-30 for 89$ from the right sources.

FWIW- My WGS CL80 "clones" had "Assembled in the USA" on the label. The parts were outsourced so they couldnt put "Made in the USA" on them from what I understand. At least it sounds from your description they got it right with the Reaper. The CL80 clone was a poor excuse for a real CL80 IMO and turned me off to WGS in general. Bob

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Don't about you, but I like the Veteren 30, it's all I use with my Matchless.

9. Thames

Thames Member

Dave @ Avatar, right ? I forgot about this source...
    And Ive heard the same thing about the CL80... not that good. But in the other hand, all reviews about Veteran 30 look truly great.

I think WGS are getting their cones from UK (Kurt Mueller I think, same as Celestion). I dont really know about the other parts, but they sure look like top quality, and not just some warehouse leftovers...

10. cradlefish

cradlefish Member

I haven't been able to compare my WGS to celestions except for the V30. I definitely dig my WGS V30 and ET65 combo in my Avatar Vintage. They sound great and haven't had any problems with them. They Rock!

11. troublehead

troublehead Member

The Warehouse CL80 is a horrible speaker IMO......and I mean horrible ! And the Green Beret was meh.
    But I do LOVE the Veteran 30 and Retro 30 (and I hate the "real" V30's with a passion).

12. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Yep...I wouldn't recommend the WGS GB to anyone, but the Vet-30 is a keeper. It's good enough to get it's own name and not something that sounds like a Celestion clone.

13. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

What was the price point in canadian when all was said and done? I am interested in the ET-65 vs. what weber offers vs. other alternatives to a g12-65. I find the 65's record well.

14. Thames

Thames Member

From SteamCo, 410$ shipped. No duties of course, they were already in Canada.

15. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Just to clarify -
    When you say they are horrible speakers, do you mean they sound horrible or that they do not sound like the clone of another speaker?
    Thanks

16. Structo

Structo Member

Hmmm, I had the WGS V30 and CL80 in a 2x12.

I thought they sounded real good together. Real good!
    But I bought them when he was blowing them out the door at $22 ea.

Then I bought a pair of Tonkerlites.

My back thanks me everytime I lift that cab now.

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

THANK YOU! Your the first post Ive read that agrees with me on this speaker! I bought 3 of them (no Im not selling them) when they first came out and because of the bad taste they left in my mouth(ears) I wont by another WGS again. No thank you. With a very flat top end and bland lifeless mids I found it useless.

Also I should note they did a poor job "cloning" the speaker.Obviously from a tonal aspect its nothing like a real CL80 but also in its physical aspect. I mean its not even built the same. Its got a solid paper dust cap. A real CL80 as with vitually all Celestions uses a screen. Small difference you might say? No not at all. It has a big impact on upper frequencies. Bob

18. ChadT

ChadT Member

Thanks for the review. I have had my eye on the WGS Reaper, and I know they have good crunchy tone, but my main concern is how they handle lows when you play with a lot of gain and boosted low frequencies. I am planning on putting two 75 watt WGS Retros, or one Retro and one Veteran 30 in my Valveking 212 combo amp (100 watts all tube) to upgrade from those cheap speakers from the factory. Does anyone know which would be better, either two Retros, or a Retro and Veteran mix? The Reapers will go in a 2x12 closed back extension cabinet. I play mostly 80's metal to modern rock and metal, and like a good, deep, tight, low end punch with plenty of lower mids. And what were the those 55hz 30 watt speakers you said had better lows, or did I read that wrong?

19. Thames

Thames Member

Better lows ? I mean deeper lows. Of course, it is 55Hz bass speaker.

I guess you're looking for "tight" lows, right ? We all love tight lows.... :D

I have a rehearsal tomorrow, I'll crank the Superbass and my Plexitone as well... into highgain territory. I'll let you know.

20. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Ageed the Reapers are great speakers and very well made....I like them better than the Celestion G12H Heritage....anybody tried the ET65's?