FINALLY!! After 3 months of waiting - My Top Hat Super Deluxe has arrived!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eric-d, Jan 31, 2008.

1. eric-d

eric-d Member

So - back in Nov - I struck a deal with a fellow TGP member - I didn't have the cash off hand and we agreed for me to send him a couple hundred bucks to "hold it" till after the holidays. Now was the hard part - rounding up the balance to get it here. I finally got him the rest earlier this month and due to an uncontrolable circumstance - it couldn't get shipped to me right away. Fear not - it's about 250 miles (outside Dallas and coming my way) as I'm typing this now. I can't WAIT to get home from work tomorrow and open that big brown box and plug this baby in!!! The next 18-19 hours are going to kill me.....

2. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

CONGRATS man! Sounds like you had a long wait, and you must be psyched! Enjoy it and give a full tone report!

:dude

3. eric-d

eric-d Member

Oh I will ..... it's the 2x12 combo - and it's the older version so it can't handle the EL34's but that okay. I really want to crank this bad boy.... :D I'll give the full report in a couple days with pictures!!!

4. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

5. eric-d

eric-d Member

Here she is. I didn't get that much time with her tonight - my wife had to get to bed - but from what I can tell - at lower volumes - it's very Fender'ish. I did crank the volume and master to about 2 o'clock and it transformed into the Plexi'esque beast!!! Holy crap!! And it actually has a Master that is pedal friendly!! About time!!! So far - I really like this amp!! I'm really going to crank on her tomorrow! Here's a couple pics.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. eric-d

eric-d Member

Also - any tube recommendations?! It has the JJ's in the power and the Ei ECC-83's in the pre... Thanks.....

7. bilbal

bilbal Member

Hey Eric - First, Congrats on the new amp. New amp days are the best aren't they?? I just got a Bogner Shiva 4 days ago. I have had a perma-grin since. One question: from left to right, what is the clear dome looking thing next to the first chicken-head dial? Pilot?

8. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Dude, you know where to go for tubes.

Bring cash.

:rotflmao

9. eric-d

eric-d Member

it's an old plastic jewel light from my dad's eclectic collection of things from the past 40 years.... I have a few of them (blue, white and amber)..

No **** huh..... BTW - those ole Blackplates are still cooking away in my Super Reverb... They're killer!!! We have to get together soon!!!!

10. ROKY

ROKY Member

I was wondering when you were going to post something about this.

Glad you finally got the amp, in-house, and you're digging it, but hey, it's
    a TopHat so, no surprise there . :)

11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Eric,
    Were havin fun now aren't we. You've got some serious groove time coming at you. That Fender is not hard on the eyes either!

I just got done retubing a Supreme 16 that I've had for about 6 months. I went NOS Mullards for the EL 84's and 12ax7's VI and V2. Just put a Dario MiniWatt EF 86 in the AC15 circuit yesterday. I couldn't believe what I heard at all !

I know how you feel waiting for that boxman, a combination of fear, anxity and anticipation. On the 1st I ordered a Emplexador II and it was shipped two weeks later but on a friday night. That meant it was sitting in a truck for two days before it began to move. It didn't get here till Thursday the next week and arrived on a day when it was 27 deg below zero. I had to wait three hours to get her up to room temp before I turned her on to standby and even then I gave it another 30 minutes to be safe.

So enough about me. It's all good, ain't life grand !

Enjoy the TopHat I bet it won't be your last.

Best
    Groovey Records
    Listening to Johnny Winter-Still Alive and Well
    on Vinyl of course

[​IMG]

12. meterman

meterman Member

Great amp, congrats, I had #11 for a couple years. Nice speaker combo too, that's what I have in my 2x12 cab. Be sure to try both a 12AY7 and 12AX7 in V1 for added versatility in preamp gain, I tended to like the stock 12AY7 for cleaner, more Fendery tones but the AX gives it alot more crunch. Also, be aware that the EQ is a bit different and very interactive, for instance rolling the treble all the way back boosts mids and gain while rolling it up leans out the mids while adding highs....yeah the amp really comes alive with Vol and MV at 2:00 or above...Personally from the clips I've heard I don't think you're missing anything without the EL34 option....finally, there is a treble bleed cap across the volume pot lugs that can be lifted for better compatibility with high gain dirt boxes if necessary....

Anywho, Enjoy it!

13. HHB

HHB Member

sweet! I'm a Tophat convert, they're awesome

14. justonwo

justonwo Member

That was nice of that TGPer. Great looking amp. Congratulations and enjoy it.

eric-d, or others, can you tell me a little about that amp? I'm interested.

15. meterman

meterman Member

Justinwo, the power section gives 33w from 2x6L6 in Class A and is based on a very early Tweed Bassman. Preamp is, like the other Club Series amps, similar to the TopBoost channel on the King Royale. Essentially Vox meets Tweed with the result being fat complex cleans and thick crunch that verges on old Marshall tones when cranked. Nice review of the SD in GP magazine a while back, it's a great amp designed to get natural tube overdrive at reasonable volumes though it can still get pretty loud....

16. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    man, that is a sharp amp. bet it sounds awesome.... have fun....

17. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Preamp: leave the Ei's in there and try a few different ones in V1.......12AY7's and 12AX7's........

Poweramp: TAD small bottle 6L6's

18. justonwo

justonwo Member

Sounds like a great combination of features. Thanks for the explanation.

19. eric-d

eric-d Member

Yeah - it's definitely Tweedi'sh...... Almost JTM'ish in the high volume... Man this thing pushes some air!! Still getting used to it after owning nothing but Fender's for the past 8 years....

20. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

Very nice. TopHat's are awesome amps!