Finally Digging a Fuzz Face - Oxfuzz - Info Please!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Longer, May 5, 2015.

1. Longer

Longer Member

In fuzz world, I have typically been more of a muff guy. Fuzz Faces never really worked for me.

Anyway, I found a great deal on an Oxfuzz on Craig'sList, figured I'd give it a try.

After my first night of messing around with it I am really impressed. Lots of great tones to be had turning her up and then using your guitar controls.

I don't know much about Oxfuzz, but I'm instantly digging it. I was told by the seller that it was geranium, but that's about it.
    Any info on this pedal from the TGP fuzz gurus would be great!

Here are some bad iPhone pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tex Milo

Tex Milo Supporting Member

Looks like large can germanium trannies. I had one with 274's in it. I want it back!

3. Longer

Longer Member

Yeah, they don't look like the pics of NKT274s or 275s that I've seen, but I sure would like to find out what I have, as it made a great first impression with my set up.

4. tideluva

tideluva Member

I have a silver with 2N404's and absolutely LOVE it. I have made my own silicon versions but this just sounds right.

This looks like the same 2N404's as mine but my bias is on the outside. Excellent score.

5. Longer

Longer Member

Thank you! That's what they look like, 2N404's!

6. Longer

Longer Member

Well, after looking at pics of silicon, it may not be germanium after all.
    I don't know.
    Tone wise, the bottom is on the tighter side, which from what I understand is more of a silicon trait.
    Another thing about it's sound, if maxing the gain is at 10, then between 9.5 & 10 is where the treble is at, and the gain darkens up quite a bit as you go 9.5 or lower.

7. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

2N404 is indeed a germanium transistor.

8. Longer

Longer Member

Yes, thank you, I now see the lettering on the side, duh.
    This is not my brightest moment! :)

Oh well, I'm learning. Thanks everyone for the help.

9. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

That's normal for every Fuzz Face. The sweetspot ist somewhere between 8 and 10.

10. tideluva

tideluva Member

Agreed on all the previous statements regarding this pedal. What I did was find the sweetspot which was just below 10 and got my bias correct then lowered my guitar volume to 7.8-8, kick on the delay and enjoy the ride using the volume on your guitar to go from an OD type tone to fuzzy goodness. The beauty of germanium is the warm cleanup IMHO.
    Have fun!

11. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I would love to find a Silicon Oxfuzz. By far my favorite fuzz to date:Spank

12. Longer

Longer Member

Nice. I haven't touched the trim pot yet. It will be neat to hear what it does.