Finally - Done with Keurig

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Motterpaul, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

Okay - I am saying it. I have never liked Keurig coffee. The devices are decent in concept, but we have now owned three and each has eventually failed - slowing down to drips instead of a stream of hot coffee. To the company's credit, however, they have sent us a free replacement every time when we call them, even with a unit that was a few years old. But they make their money on the coffee, not the makers (I am guessing). I'm guessing Dunkin' Donut pays a hefty licensing fee to put their coffee in Keurig cups.

But I hate the taste of Keurig, and I do not feel like I get a caffeine buzz. I finally convinced my wife to go back to non-pre-packaged drip brew, and had a full pot of coffee today, and it tasted SO good, and felt so good.

2. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

Me too!!!

Mine broke the other day and I contacted them and they seemed cool about it and said they'd send a cleaning tool and we could get it back together hopefully. After a week of waiting and having to buy Speedway coffee, which is great, but gets pricey doing it daily with my consumption. Anyway I bought a French Press and think it's the best coffee I have ever had. It's much richer than filtered coffee IMO. Both Drip coffee and french press coffee seems much stronger and definitely has more caffeine jolt. I am thrilled with the switch and love getting rid of the robot on my countertop.

Cal Webway and Nurk2 like this.
  3. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I've never been a fan of the coffee, though I'll admit single serve fresh brewed coffee is a good concept. To me I always felt the coffee was kinda weak, but it may just be the pod I've used. A guy at work bright in some Starbucks French roast pods and they were pretty decent in comparison. I do still prefer a fresh ground pressed or drip cup, but I prefer the Starbucks pods to the generic cafeteria drip at work.

4. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I've been using one of these for the past year or so; 5 gently rounded tablespoons percolated on the stove-top for 12min makes a full pot of coffee that tastes great! I pour it into 2 insulated containers to take to work so I don't have to drink the awful K-cup crapola.

5. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Grind your own and drink espresso or Americano...

wstsidela, teledude55 and derekd like this.
  6. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Press FTW

Nurk2 and wstsidela like this.
  7. Jim Holloway

Jim Holloway Supporting Member

Ours is there more as a 'backup' if I finish off my pot of coffee in the morning then feel like one more cup in the afternoon, or my wife feels like a quick cup of tea without boiling and steeping.

But I agree about never having been thrilled with the taste, especially from the refillable 'solo' cup that would be my preferred method of using it.

8. nondeplume

nondeplume Puppet For Prophet Gold Supporting Member

Keurig makes a decent cup of coffee, especially with the carafe. But I don't use "their" k-cups out of my own concerns. I use the refillable cups, ie fill them with whatever I want. Generally Dunkin D. But recently just came off a batch of Key Coffee out of Japan.

Shrug, different strokes...

[​IMG]

bgh, Tommy Biggs and Crowder like this.
  9. JimmyB

JimmyB Silver Supporting Member

For a single large cup of coffee, you can't do better than this:

[​IMG]

Brews at the right temperature, unlike a Keurig; uses a cone filter for optimal water flow through the grounds... and it's fast.

Best of all: the above-noted factors mean that with good ground coffee, you'll get a great tasting cup! :D

ford likes this.
  10. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Ours gets clogged every 9 to 12 months. Stick a paper clip or something up needle hole and it's good to go for another 9 to 12 months. We've gotten great use out of ours.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    xStonr likes this.
  11. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

We had one of the Cuisinart Keurig cup makers for over a year. It clogged twice, and using vinegar, and a pressure hose to blow out the innards, it worked fine. But it finally bit the dust. This week was our first with the new drip maker. My wife loves the coffee to be ready when she wakes up. So harmony has been once again restored in the household.

12. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Every few months I run vinegar through the Keurig and that cleans it up pretty good. Goes back to the full stream of coffee instead of the 'drip drip drip'.

xStonr, gtrdave and sven karma like this.
  13. jds22

jds22 Supporting Member

Can't beat a Keurig for convenience.

I have nothing more to say.

14. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

We have to run a cycle of vinegar occasionally--it can clear up the slow drip if it is caused by minerals in your water. I have a Mr Coffee brand but its essentially a Keurig. Never noticed the lack of a buzz, but I only drink coffee on the weekend.

jmp2204, D. Stewart and derekd like this.
  15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

This.

Normally, I grind my beans and do the French press in the am. Afternoons, I use the Keurig to run hot water for my green tea.

The occasional jones for a late evening coffee is Keurig time.

Nurk2, fishleehooker and Jim Holloway like this.
  16. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

My 4 year old Keurig works and tastes great ... just sayin.

If you don't like the taste pour some Kahlua in it :aok

jmp2204 likes this.
  17. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

We had one Keurig machine that ultimately failed...we then got an expensive Technivorm Moccamaster and ground our own. It made decent coffee but nothing close to the hype.

The Technivorm is as fiddly as restringing a Bigsby. Lid off the water reservoir, pour water in reservoir, switch the thermal cap on the carafe to the brew cap with the downspout, lift the filter basket out, put coffee & filter in, replace filter basket, brew, then replace brew cap with thermal cap again. 'European design' sounds frou-frou and appealing in the store but it simply means some archaic and/or short-sighted engineering. It does have metal 'guts' as opposed to the plastic in most makers but it still doesn't get quite hot enough.

As of this writing we're back to a Keurig maker.

I think it's interesting that Keurig's latest generation has the 'Hot' tagline...I think their research showed that people liked the convenience but that the coffee produced was not hot enough. And in classic marketing fashion they're prepared to tell a lie to overcome that particular objection, since the lawyers and the accounting department will never allow them to make and sell a maker that gets coffee at a retail eg McDonald's or Starbucks near-boiling temperature.

18. radicool

radicool Member

My brother has a Keurig; I have a $20 Mr Coffee drip machine. They are side-by-side on the kitchen counter - and I'm never tempted to use his.
    It's ok, but the coffee, no matter what he's tried, doesn't taste any better than the stuff out of the cheapo machine.

19. s2y

s2y Member

I agree they're convenient. I mostly started using Keurig because nobody else drinks coffee in my house. I ditched using the K Cups a few months back. My wife had a small Black and Decker 2 cup machine that I donated. Wish I would have kept it. If/when my machine dies, I'll probably get a small brewer of some sort. My dad has a really expensive system at his house.

20. taez555

taez555 Member

The Keurig is the USA today of coffee makers.

I pretty much only use it at a hotel.

champion ruby likes this.