finally ended up with a RotoSIM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ixsaves13, Dec 27, 2005.

1. ixsaves13

ixsaves13 Supporting Member

So my search for a leslie simulator has been a slow and grueling process. I was looking into:

Line 6 Roto-machine
    Hughes and Kettner Rotosphere MKII
    DLS RotoSIM
    Option 5 Destination Rotation

I tried the rotomachine and it sounded very plastic. Great flexibility, but there was a little harshness on the topend.

I actually owned the rotosphere MKII before and loved the tone of it, but it was huge! Also, the noise and having to have a separate boost for that pedal made it difficult to use.

Option 5 - didn't like this one. Similar to the rotomachine... lacked the mojo.

My only grip with the DLS is its lack of depth. I adjusted the internal trimmers to full and it didn't get as lush as the rotosphere. But i do like the clarity in the effect. There's a quality in the pedal that is amp-like. Most people have said that the effect sounds like a glorified chorus, which i could agree with to a particular degree, but when it does go slow, a leslie does have that phasing that sounds like a chorus/flanger. The DLS does have the mojo though... so i decided to pick it up. Plus it is powered by my Voodoo Labs PP2+!

What's your thoughts on the RotoSIM (to other DLS owners)???

thanks,

Eugene

2. muddy

muddy Member

you've kinda hit the mark. it's the ONLY roto that DOESN'T colour your tone, and it has a spaciousness in the slow speed that's indeed mojo-laden.

ml

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I foolishly ditched my Rotosphere, which I think is the best sim I've heard. I just love what it does in both modes, particularly the fast one. The cons were the large size and necessity for its own wallwart.

The DLS was pretty nice, but the fast speed just didn't do it for me. The slow speed, on the other hand, was fantastic. Also, the smaller footprint and 9V tap were nice features. The overdrive switch was really nice too, though I preferred the drive knob on the H&K.

After getting rid of BOTH, I really miss my Rotosphere but I don't miss the DLS at all.

4. venacavacabs

venacavacabs Member

I currently own both a DLS & an H&K. I am using them both side by side, trying to figure out which one to keep. It's a tough call.

5. eknapier

eknapier Member

I am loving the DLS ROtosim. I love my tone to begin with, and this thing doesn't effect it at all, just sets it spinning!

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Right, the Sphere and Sim are pretty different pedals.... thats the point.

the Sim solved some of the problems and needs of the Sphere - size , noise , in/out imbalances, walwart, construction (tube window breakage) ,,,, but its not a sonic clone of the sphere..... its another option to getting 'that' sound....

and both will be preferred by some - its not a better/worse thing, its a needs/preferences thing ~ options,shorty options:D

7. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I ended up ordering a Boss RT-20. I took one home from Sam Ash the other day on a trial and put it through it's paces. Very nice pedal. Didn't color the tone as much as the Rotomachine, plus it has a control to blend your original signal in with the effected signal. Nice slow swirl that has the Leslie "ring" to it. Out of the G-4, Rotomachine, Rotosphere and Roto-Sim it's my favorite by a longshot.

8. muddy

muddy Member

so the rt-20 is out now? clips?

ml

9. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Muddy man. I had the pedal for a few days on loan. Sam Ash had a few in store the other day. I ordered from SA online and should have it in a week or so. To my ears it captures the effect better than most.