Finally Finished My Scumback-d 1965B Conversion Cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chiba, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Whew! The work was actually the easy part. The hard part was getting and cutting the wood. I had a friend that was supposed to make the new baffle board for me from some nice birch ply he has, but that never materialized and I got tired of waiting. So I did it myself. Did you know you can get good birch and pine ply at Home Depot? Yeah, well, not every one as I now know, but it is out there at the orange spot.

Much waiting and asking around for friends with power tools later, here she is! I can't offer up much of a tone report yet, as I couldn't exactly crank it up last night with my wife & kid asleep, but I'm hoping to get some loud time in this afternoon before they get home (while I'm waiting for the guy to come fix my furnace).

Before pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

After pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And the full stack treatment, with my 65Amps London head atop the pile:
    [​IMG]

Thanks AGAIN for the great advice on re-clothing my cab, Jim! I remembered to wet down the cloth BEFORE stapling the other 3 sides this time!

I know somebody will ask, so yes I realize there's a small flaw in the cloth on the front of the amp. No matter how I positioned it the flaw was there, so short of ordering another square yard, it's got a flaw in it. I can live with it.

I think it looks kind of cool with the offset logo. I could have mounted it in the middle, but it would have covered up too much of the speakers. I thought it would look funny up top, so down low it goes. It looks a lot cooler when it's by itself!

If you want to check out the full 4x10 to 2x12 process, check out the whole sequence of events!

--chiba

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

That is pretty cool Chiba!:AOK

3. fakeox

fakeox Member

How does it compare to the old setup?

4. Chiba

Well, I think it certainly LOOKS cooler :)

Seriously though, I got to wind it up a bit yesterday. The 2x12 cab is a lot brighter than the 4x10 cab, but I expect that will even out a bit as the 12s break in over the next couple months.

The 4x10 cab seems a bit louder than the 2x12 at the same settings on my amp, but that could change as the 12s break in as well.

--chiba

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Hey Wes, you're welcome! I can see what you mean about the logo positioning now that I see where the 12" holes were cut...not much choice on where to put it. Now all you need is the new white "Scumbag" logo to go in the upper left corner.

I need to get Alex/908SSP to post pics of his cab with the new white 6" logo he had me make him for his cab... hee hee!

6. Luke V

Luke V Member

Darn, the pics aren't showing up for me.

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

You mean this one?

[​IMG]

8. toddyjoe

toddyjoe Member

I am curious about finding the birch ply at Home Depot. Is it void-free or cabinet-grade plywood? We have a Home Depot here in town, but the birch ply I looked at was did not look to be the void-free type, which makes a difference with the resonance of the cab. Just curious because I would love to place an order at the store if they can get it.

9. Chiba

It wasn't advertised or marked as void-free, but it was 1/2" birch ply. Since the board I needed was only 22-3/4" square for this cab, I was able to get 4 of them off one 4x8' sheet. I cut one of them and it had a big weird soft spot in the middle where I was putting the speaker hole, so I scrapped that piece (used it for the spacing strips, actually) and used another, which seemed just fine.

It's probably not the highest quality stuff around, but since my friend spaced on me and I don't know where to source 'good' wood, I had to go with what I could find. It took a whole day of driving around Virginia to find the 2 HD shops that even had big sheets of birch ply.

Jim, I'd be happy to put your logo on my cab! Check your e-mail :)

--chiba

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Just got a new SA12-75 to put in a 2x12, and played it (the other speaker is a SA12-55) against my other well broken in SA12M-75 cab of the same type. Was surprised how small and quiet sounding the SA12 cab was, which is the opposite of what i was expecting.
    I had forgotten how important it is to break these speakers in. They literally go to a whole new level once you've got 25 hours or so on them, then get gradually better after that. This is my first SA12-75 (had just about all the others), so i'm assuming that this will get much better. The SA12M-75's are IT in a closed back cab.
    I'm playing a radio through the cab right now to help break the new speaker in. I can't stand playing through it as is, when i have the other cab to compare it to. It will be interesting to see how long (or if it does) it takes to soften up.

11. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Them speakers F'n RAWK!!!!

i really gotta get around to doing my 4x12 cab.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Chiba, nice work man! Looks great!! I'm impressed with the clean work you did. Thumbs up my friend!:AOK

13. haslar

haslar Member

Chiba: sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but... why do you have to wet down the cloth?
    :confused:

14. Chiba

If you dampen the cloth it gets stretchy to a certain extent. Then you staple it down while it's still damp; when it dries it tightens up giving you that sweet, classic tight-cloth front that we've all come to expect.

Damp is the key though - you don't want it sopping wet.

57 - how does playing a radio through your cab break in the speakers? How do you hook that up?

--chiba

15. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

mine has little clamps for the terminals. I just plug in a 1/4" end of a combo speaker plug (i.e. BFDR) into a cab turned face down on the floor with a blanket over it, and connect the wires to the appropriate place. Alligator clips connected to a 1/4' plug would work too. Suppose you could run a whole bunch of CD's . The louder the better , IMO. I think that hurries up the process. I liked my SA12M 's right out of the box, but they were really quiet. Now they sound significantly louder.

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

57special, from all accounts from most of the buyers of Scumbacks, that's what happens to all of them. Most say it happens within 15-25 hours, and that the tone gets better, more detailed and more articulate at the same time.

Let me know if that's been your experience as well, although it sounds like it is... thanks!