Finally found the Strat for me!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Blue4Now, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Well I have been through about 5 or 6 Strats only to sell them later becuase I was never wowed by them. Thought I would be but oh well. I cam close recently with a MIM Classic 60's which was cheep and real nice but alas I put it up for sale last week becuase it just did not feel "special" to me in any way. I don't have many guitars and I really want each one to feal particulalry special in my hands.

Well I think "finders crossed" I found it. Totally unexpeced and something I dont think I would have ever even considered but I wandered into a Sam Ash yesturday and took a quick glance at the wall of Strats and immediately was taken by an older SRV. I pulled it down and I immediately noticed the coveted brazilion board, so I knew it was an early year. The neck was not particulalry fat (which is good for me) but it felt simpy spectacular. It was obvioulsy owned by a player becuase it was set up great, had some honest wear but was very clean and had been fitted with Rio Grand pickups which sounded incredible. Also had a Stelly in the bridge which I could not believe how fat and punchy the sound from this bridge was. It took about 2 seconds for me to run to the counter and buy it. Was marked at $999 and got it for $970. I don't know how much value the brazilion board adds but it sure looks nice with gentle curves of chocolate brown goodness. I will post pics this weekend. But wow. Played it for hours last night. It is gently and honeslty reliced and for the first time I understand how a really, really good playing and sounding strat should be. I have not taken the neck off and I know the serial numbers on these early ones are a bit misleading on the year but it looks to be around a '94 or so.

2. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Nice score, great guitar!

3. Thames

Thames Member

Great ! reminds me when I found MY strat @ the store, when I wasnt looking to buy anything !!

4. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I have already found "my strat" (an original '68 r/w board), but I recently picked up one of the new Vintage Hot Rod '62 reissues, and it's been a fabulous new production model so far. This one is a lite-relic from the factory, but it's got tons of resonance and that thin-skin nitro finish.

Congrats on finding "your" axe.

Stormin!

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for he comments. You know the earlier poly finshed must be thinner or of a different composition becuase this is wearing really nice. Great soft haze and marks on the finish and a few dings that don't produce that "broken glass thick finish look" that poly tends to do. This is a much softer and natural looking finish.

I heard a rumor that these early SRV's were made in the custom shop by one partucular builder who built the more recent SRV #1 replica. Any truth to that?