Finally got a Clubman!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitonit, Feb 13, 2006.

1. guitonit

guitonit Member

Hey All,

Just had to share, been wanting one for a long time, and finally pulled the trigger on a '94 Clubman today!

[​IMG]

Scott A.

2. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I have been seriously looking at clubmans for the past few weeks. I love my Matchless Lightning and want somthing for out door gigs and louder needs.

Tell me about it. How much did you pay? How loud is it? DOes it have that steely matchless crunch and killer thick highs?

Come on make me want one even more!

3. iainmc

iainmc Silver Supporting Member

ooohhh shower curtain. thats cool.

a clubman is a big clean amp - the chieftain is the more crunchy one.

/i

4. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Is your Clubman missing the back panel and light fixture? That looks like my old Clubman that I sold a couple of years ago.
    Great sounding amp.:dude

5. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

The cheiftan is crunchyer than a clubman?

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

You sure you don't have that backwards? The Clubman is probably the more Marshall-like of the Matchless line.

7. guitonit

guitonit Member

As a matter of fact, it is missing both!!! Did you sell it to a guy named Brad Duncan?

Scott A

8. guitonit

guitonit Member

Boogie,

Got the amp at a very good price, and it has TONE FOR DAYS!! I worked for a Matchless dealer for a while in the late 90's and borrowed a Clubman for a few gigs. Never had the money for one back then, but finally found one that I like for the right $$. It has that wonderful "chime" that I have never found in another amp. Put a TS808 in front of it and forget about it, guitar woodman!!! It is not the loudest amp I own, but for the kind of gigs I do, it is more than enough volume.

Do yourself a favor, GET ONE!!!

Scott A.

9. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

+ 1, I love my clubman. :RoCkIn

10. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I LOVE the Clubman. For an EL34, it has amazing chime and sparkle...and it can rock really hard. It's so complex and rich sounding. I will own one some day. Enjoy!

11. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

As far as volume is concerned, is it comparable to say a bandmaster? Or a vibrolux?

12. guitonit

guitonit Member

Boy, been a while since I have had my hands on either one of those amps, I really can't recall if they are comperable. As far as 30-35 watt amps go, it's pretty loud.

Scott

13. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Sellers remorse on my 93 Club.
    Definately louder than my 65 Vibrolux and leaning towards Marshall crunch when pushed hard yet more dimensional.
    Sold it to pay for another purchase.:(

14. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I like the Clubman as much as the C30's. I'm surprised by the "Chieftan is more crunchy than the Clubman" statement. The clubman is crunch-city, so much that I plug into the second input if I want clean tone. I found the Chieftan the be much more clean sounding.

15. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I am on the fence. I need somthing loud enough for outdoor gigs. I have retired my bandmaster and I use a lightning for indoor gigs.

Dr. Z Rt 66 is significantly cheaper.

What about the reverb model? Any opinions on it?

16. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Boogie92801 -

The Clubman is very, very much louder, cleaner and stiffer (with the master wide open) than a Bandmaster or a Rt 66. I own all three.

One thing I've noticed with these amps "head to head" is that the Clubman (thru a Matchless 2x12) has a scoop in the mids, given its stiff bottom end and that trademark chime up top.

The Bandmaster and the Rt 66 have more midrange, but won't get as loud, and as stiff, and still stay clean. They'll start breaking up on the bottom sooner than the Clubman.

Depends on what you want. If you like to play in the crunchy stuff, you'll be using the Clubman's master. If you need clean headroom for outdoor gigs, go Clubman. My Clubman is the reverb model, and I like its verbtone - a lot.

Kiwi

17. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Can't remember who I sold it to. I know I regreted selling it.:Spank
    Definitely louder than a blackface Bandmaster or Vibrolux. I have both. The Clubman is louder and crunchier.

18. hawaii5_o

hawaii5_o Guest

You could just get a Marshall Mode 4 and crank 300 solid state watts to the metal masses! Just kidding :dude

I do like those Dr. Z's. Seems like I always forget how good they sound then I go play one and am always blown away.

19. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

You guys are great. I have come very close to pulling the trigger on a clubman. Then I listen (read) to somthing here or try somthing else out and I get all messed up. My problem is that I can't seem to find a clubman to try out.

I have played a Rt 66 a few times and liked it. I also know exactly what you mean about the bottom going soft on the Bandmaster and the Rt 66 (more so on my BM).

So, you think the reverb is ok on the Clubman? I know on the Z's I prefer the non-reverb models. I have never missed the reverb in my Lightning either.

I guess you guys are going to make me take the plung on a clubman.

20. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The Clubman and Route 66 arre the best 2 amps I've ever owned. Too bad I don't have either one right now :(
    That would be a great 2 amp setup IMO