Finally got a pickup installed on my Martin(K&K)...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Megatron, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Megatron

Megatron Member

Just got my Martin D28 back from a local luthier who is also a K&K dealer. Had them install a Pure Mini. Very happy with it. Sounds great! Sounds like my guitar. glad I went this route. I'd certainly by another. Great price.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

not the pickup you want if you're standing in front of bass and drums, but short of that volume level they sound really good, surprising for how simple they are.

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I am very impressed with ththe sound of the pickup, but it is not a gr at choice for high volume gigs.

4. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

Yep...Big Fan here... I've installed maybe 2 dozen (all Superglue method) and they have zero effect on the original Acoustic sound...Action height...etc. Very natural Acoustic Sound as a Bonus, and @ $99 plus install, certainly won't break the Bank.

5. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I really liked mine in my J-35. But I recently put a Baggs Lyric in my LG2 and there's no comparison. I'd love to hear a K&K/Lyric dual system.

6. ThePenwellCrash

ThePenwellCrash Supporting Member

I love the K&K western mini in my Martin OM-21. Probably going to put one in a Gibson LG-2 soon. There's no other pickup choice for me

7. Megatron

Megatron Member

Most of what I'm doing will be solo guitar with my wife and I've been doing some work with a local church, but the drums are closed off and everyone else goes direct.......

8. petty1818

petty1818 Member

This has been done over at AGF by a few members, most notably by Doug Young. The results were actually not that great. I think Doug ended up liking the results after a while but the pickups don't seem to compliment each other all that well.

9. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I'm sure it depends on the guitar and the preamp, etc., but that's interesting nonetheless. The Anthem SL pairs an Element UST with a Lyric, and the reviews are pretty great. I would think that a K&K, which sounds far better than an Element to my ears, would be even betterÂ… but maybe not.

10. walterw

a K&K and a lyric together doesn't make much sense; they both sort of do the same job, providing a remarkably natural sound at the expense of feeding back at loud volumes.

the Anthem idea is that the Element (which is indeed less natural sounding, being a UST) just handles the low end for higher volume without feedback, while the mic handles all the mids and highs for a more natural character where it counts.

a K&K would be little better at resisting low end feedback than the mic is, so again no point.

11. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I think the Anthem SL still sounds too much like a UST. I wonder if anyone's tried only connecting the K&K's bass sensor to achieve a similar (but better) effect.

12. walterw

dialed in right, you hear mostly the mic but yeah, there's still a "UST" low end to the sound. at least the quack is eliminated, all those frequencies are handled by the mic instead.

i so wish i could substitute a magnetic pickup for the low end UST, but according to baggs (and confirmed by my testing) doing so throws off the crossover slope of the preamp, so it doesn't blend quite right.

one of these days i want to experiment with wiring in various resistors or whatever, maybe even a tone pot, between a mag pickup and the UST in of an anthem system, to see if i can induce the proper low-pass filtering of the mag pickup so it serves to replace the UST as the anthem's "low end only" source.
    you mean using only that one sensor out of the three?

all that would do is give you the E and A strings, and at full brightness too. (the three sensors are identical, they each just pickup the pair of strings that's over them.)

13. PaulieC

PaulieC Member

I have used the pure mini for years, awesome tone. With a Baggs paracoustic DI box, and a feedback buster in the sound hole, I have never had a situation it did not work perfectly.

14. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I have not heard of this but I wouldn't think that it would be a good match. I do know that a few people have tried installing the Anthem and wiring the K&K in place of the Element with varying results. I also read one member who wired the K&K to the Anthem using a stereo jack, effectively giving the user three pickups to blend (K&K, tru-mic & Element). The results were not amazing enough to warrant such effort.

Again though, the K&k and Lyric are just too similar to really compliment each other. It just seems like a real pain to set up. Plus you have to move the Lyric from its intended spot since the pure mini and Lyric are installed in the same area. B-Band actually does something similar to the Anthem. Their A2.2 XOM is a combination of their AST and UST pickups and the results are very natural.

15. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Yes, this would be awesome.

Ah, I see this now. Thanks.

Agreed. I'll stick with the Lyric by itself.

16. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

You may have read this, but I came upon this thread from another forum in which the OP seems to like this combo, and noted its feedback resistance.

17. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I am a member over at AGF and I remember following the thread that you posted. The overall impression I got was that although the Lyric & K&K can sound good together, they just take a lot more work to eq properly. I wanted to try this pairing for the longest time but I have come to realize that I not only need a system that sounds good, but I also need to be able to dial in a good/great sound quickly. I have heard that even the Lyric can be a bit of a pain to eq so I can just imagine how this pairing would be in a live setting.

18. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Could be. FWIW, once I got the settings squared on my PADI, the Lyric (by itself) has been plug-and-play for me.