Finally got my BB +

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PosterBoy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

and a little disappointed with it compared to my OCD. Stacked together though, that's where the fun starts happening.

I don't think I'll ever use it as a standalone OD though

2. enocaster

enocaster Member

I have a love/hate thing with the BB+, it's just too compressed at lower gain settings and makes my signal sound "smaller" compared to my KOTB at low gain. I'd use the KOTB, but I was looking for something lessy gritty to compliment it. Is the OCD smooth like the BB, but less compressed at low gain?

3. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

The OCD sounds the complete opposite to the BB+ to me, nice and gritty and very little compression. Perfect for rhythm and then i can add either the A side of the BB+ as a boost for solos or the B side for more gain and compressed rhythm.

4. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I'm putting my BB+ up for sale this week. I just got the original BB today. The plus tone was just a little too in your face, not as smooth as the original. But then again, I'm not a huge OCD fan as well.

But on the same day I bought the BB plus, I also got the Fuchs Valve Job pedal, and that thing into a Fulldrive Mosfet in vintage mode is just unbelievable tone.

5. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I found the BB+ too smooth as I'd got used to the OCD and found a sound I was really happy with. It just really works as a 2nd stage of gain and boost. So easy to get some controllable feedback going with my Gretsch at sensible volumes too

6. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

The Valve Job is nice. I love the warm sustain.

7. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Wow, it's amazing to hear such different descriptions. I think a lot of people, not necessarly you guys, but a lot of people thought this was going to have a BB sound. When in reality it's a total different sound. I think perhaps we should have clairified during marketing or maybe a different naming scheme would have help. Good to hear the feedback, whether it's good or bad.

Has anyone tried it with a plexi type amp? I'd like to hear from you if so.

Thanks,

8. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

which ocd do you have? I bought version 3 after the raves and sold it after 10 minutes.

9. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I've got a version 4

10. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I personally couldn't stand my V1 OCD with any amp, at any volume/gain/tone setting. Now my BB Preamp... love it love it love it.

How could anyone not expect for the BB+ to sound like the BB?

11. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Umm, I really love the pedals xotic makes and your customer service has been amazing, but I have to ask, if the BB plus wasn't going to have the BB sound, why did you guys name it the "BB plus"? I don't think it was necessarily intentional, but it is a little misleading and probably causes a lot of consumer confusion.

12. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I'm coming round to the BB+ with a bit more playing, it's nice to have more than one different sounding OD on a board.

13. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Personally, I think the BB+ is the best drive pedal I've ever owned. Both sides sound great and have a ton of tonal flexability. I'm very, very happy with mine.

14. jzucker

so, who's going to loan me one to do a demo of?

15. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

You know that's a great question, but when I first plugged it in it did sound like the BB. It took my ears a while to adjust and now I definitely hear the difference. But you know as gear goes one man's smooth OD is another man's harsh distortion. I certainly hope that it wasn't misleading as in no way was that the intention. I think we just took the BB qualities and tweaked them, then provided you (users) with more options.

I hope that's a good answer.

16. jzucker

FYI - I am borrowing a BB+, AC+ and RC Boost and will be doing a video overview and audio clips in a couple weeks. Stay tuned!