Finally got to play a Sig X...

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Had to be in SoCal for something and finally got to kick the tires on. VHT Sig X, since whenever I tried at NAMM I couldn't get away long enough to do so.

So...quick first impression, I dig the clean in any of the channels enough to want it. Rhythm crunch is huge, high gain has good slice without being an ice pick. One of the few channel switchers I dig all channels on. Reminds me of my D60 with the ability to sound more refind.
Let's put it like that VHT is gonna sell a lot of them. It is the hippest amp I heard in a while. And yes I am getting one nuff said.

IPlayHamers

Do you know the estimated time of arrival in stores? Price? I'm seriously concidering the Egnater Tourmaster, but the SigX looks so cool. I also thought the clips at NAMM were superior to the Egnater. I do like the output options on the Egnater, since I'll be playing in avariety of situations.

Thanks.

Ed, How did you get your hands on one already? !!! You've got me excited that the first batch might be out!!!

I thought the first batch is due in a week, and I'm in on the second shipment which is supposed to be end of March. Retail is about $2100.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Had to be in SoCal for something and finally got to kick the tires on. VHT Sig X, since whenever I tried at NAMM I couldn't get away long enough to do so.

So...quick first impression, I dig the clean in any of the channels enough to want it. Rhythm crunch is huge, high gain has good slice without being an ice pick. One of the few channel switchers I dig all channels on. Reminds me of my D60 with the ability to sound more refind.
Let's put it like that VHT is gonna sell a lot of them. It is the hippest amp I heard in a while. And yes I am getting one nuff said.
I agree on all counts, Ed.

Stopped by VHT's booth at NAMM and was blown away, for the second year in a row, at the Sig X. I was thrilled that I could get great sounds on all three channels, and .... on the highest gain channel, I got great tone on all three pickups of Stevie Fryette's Strat - the neck pickup and bridge pickup and middle pickup sounded great without moving a knob on the amp, and the same for the crunch and clean channels.

Every knob and every switch made an audible difference. The Sig-X is one on the best amps I've ever heard for tailoring sound to different guitars.

I want one too, Dana O.

PS - Ed, it was a real pleasure to hear you at Tone Merchant's this NAMM. You ROCK!

Lution

I'm getting excited about trying this amp! How are people getting on lists or whatever to purchase the Sig X? Is this going to be a musician's friend item too?

Dana Olsen

I'm getting excited about trying this amp! How are people getting on lists or whatever to purchase the Sig X? Is this going to be a musician's friend item too?
I kinda doubt it'll be a MF item. At NAMM they told me the first 100 were already pre-sold, but they weren't giving any predictions as to exactly when they were starting production or when any of those first 100 would be shipped. The model I played through was not a mock up like the one I played through at NAMM last year - it was a production model.

Probably best to contact VHT and ask what's up with the Sig-X. It's a seriously great and versatile amp.

Dana O.

people on the vht forum have said they recently spoke to people at vht, and the first lot is due out at the end of February. The dealer I ordered from called before I ordered and got the report that the second batch is end of march, though I figure on a bit of a delay.

Dana Olsen

Just like theinteriorleag wrote, from the VHT website:

The long awaited and highly anticipated SIG:X Three Channel Tube Amplifier from VHT Amplification will begin arriving in stores in February. Described as “The best sounding (and feeling) amp I played at NAMM” by Matt Blackett of Guitar Player Magazine, the all new SIG:X (as in Your Signature Here), represents a new generation of VHT amplifiers.

And here's a link:

http://www.vhtamp.com/

Dana O.

A.Pulverizer

Is it as "unforgiving" as all the rest of VHT's lineup?
The 100CL I had was great for rhythm, but blew goats for any lead style that wasn't picked. Hammer-ons were a joke with that thing.
I'd consider 1 used as long as I could flip it if I didn't like it without losing more than shipping $.

Dana Olsen

Wow thats a very busy front panel!
To quote my earlier post, all the knobs and switches make an audible difference when engaged. There are a lot of options available through the switches and modes, and I was surprised at how easy it was to get sounds l liked from it.

Stevie Fryette is particularly good at giving lots of front panel options without making the choices overly complicated or overlapping. Some of the switches make for a 'woodier' sound, some for adjusting the pre-set boost level, some taper the gain structure and top end "Q". All switches and knobs are well labeled/ named and work in a predictable manner.

I was getting killer tones out of Stevie's Strat, and as some of you know, I'm not really a Strat guy - it's not the guitar I'm most comfortable on. I also played a Hamer double cut w/ 2 humbuckers through it - worked great with that guitar too.

A.Pulverizer - I didn't find the amp to be too revealing or unforgiving. I could hear plenty of individual note separation, but it felt nice and smooth to me while 'pushing back' at the same time.

Hope this helps, I think it's a great amp, Dana O.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
How is the amp responsible for hammer-ons? I'm just curious...
I think it's matter of compression, transient response type thing.
And yes the amp can be dialed in so it does the Holdsworth compression thing.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
I agree on all counts, Ed.

Stopped by VHT's booth at NAMM and was blown away, for the second year in a row, at the Sig X. I was thrilled that I could get great sounds on all three channels, and .... on the highest gain channel, I got great tone on all three pickups of Stevie Fryette's Strat - the neck pickup and bridge pickup and middle pickup sounded great without moving a knob on the amp, and the same for the crunch and clean channels.

Every knob and every switch made an audible difference. The Sig-X is one on the best amps I've ever heard for tailoring sound to different guitars.

I want one too, Dana O.

PS - Ed, it was a real pleasure to hear you at Tone Merchant's this NAMM. You ROCK!
So true, but what I dug most is that on the highest gain settings it still cleaned up and the resulting tone wasn't a compromise.

Thanks for coming to the TM show.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
I kinda doubt it'll be a MF item. At NAMM they told me the first 100 were already pre-sold, but they weren't giving any predictions as to exactly when they were starting production or when any of those first 100 would be shipped. The model I played through was not a mock up like the one I played through at NAMM last year - it was a production model.

Probably best to contact VHT and ask what's up with the Sig-X. It's a seriously great and versatile amp.

Dana O.
My guesstimate is the opposite. I think since MF are a dealer they have there allotment in the first batch. That said I know they start shipping next week. So one should be able to find a stocking dealer.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds cool Ed. As for the price... the MSRP was in one of the other threads. $2300-2400 if I remember correctly.

Dana Olsen

My guesstimate is the opposite. I think since MF are a dealer they have there allotment in the first batch. That said I know they start shipping next week. So one should be able to find a stocking dealer.
That could easily be the case Ed, I don't know. I was simply reflecting on the idea that VHT has displayed the Sig-X at NAMM two years running and still hadn't shipped any yet.

One of the VHT sales types told me via phone a week before NAMM that the first 100 were already pre-sold. That's the only thing resembling a fact I heard as far as availability goes besides what they now have on the front page of their website.

I hope they're readily available soon - 'freakin great amp!

Dana O.

Wizard of Ozz

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds cool Ed. As for the price... the MSRP was in one of the other threads. $2300-2400 if I remember correctly.

I've heard the street price will be under $2000.

I wonder why the big price difference between the new Sig X and the UL/CLX (they sell for $2800-3000 street)? They are both 3 channel amps... and actually the Sig X has more features, but a lower price tag?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom