Finally got to swapping speakers- Gold, Scumback, Creamback

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sparky6string, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I have a couple of 1x12s and a 2x12 that I had bought speakers for but just never got around to putting them in. The cabs already had some speakers in them so they were functional, enabling my procrastination. My open back Avatar G112 Vintage received a well-worked-in Celestion Gold, my Fender GE-112 metal front got a very early Mesa Black Shadow, and my Lopoline 2x12 now has a combo of a Scumback M75 65w and a Celestion Creamback H75.

They haven't been in very long but here are some impressions-

The Gold is really working well with my Mesa TA-15, especially with the Vox side, but it also seems to like the smoother Mesa setting as well. Haven't yet tried the Fender mode but I think it will go well. This combination loves my jazz box, the articulation of the Gold works well for jazz. It's also wonderful for articulating mild OD situations, makes various stages of OD obvious, and maximizes touch sensitivity of an amp. I'm delighted by the cleans and mild OD, and surprised by the high quality higher gain sounds.

The Black Shadow is in a closed back 1x12 and it is ridiculously bright in there. I have to completely re-EQ my amp to get things under control- not certain if this is par for the course or if I just have a special (ie broken) example, as this is my first Black Shadow. Can anyone chime in here with their experiences?

That 2x12 cab is the only real good cab I've ever owned even though it was a budget line. The others are fine, but the 2x12 has something extra that makes everything that goes in it sound better. Dunno if it's the design or if I just got lucky. Anyway, the current speakers with my TA-15 and a Telecaster just sang. It facilitated that midrange Tele twang remarkably well, yet retained the authority to shake my insides. I spent a few months with both of those speakers in turn in my Avatar 1x12 to get to know them, and while the Scumback is a very musical speaker, the H magnet Creamback Celestion is my favorite speaker of all time. Never harsh like a G12-h30 or a Emi Wizard can be, but has all the good stuff. The two together are a fine marriage. :rockin

2. skoora

skoora Member

I have also found the Boogie 90 to be a very bright speaker.

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yes, the Mesa Black Shadow is very crisp/bright. on the top for sure.

4. Moot

Moot Member

+1 for the Creamback H! I have one in an Allen Accomplice and I'm trying to get a pair for my Venus 6. I feel that it's Celestion's best design yet.

5. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I am speaker testing with my ta15 too. So far only run it through a 212 with a pair of Mesa black shadow eminence made ms12s and it sounds great. Many more speaker to try, including the dreaded anni g12h30s, which do me sound closer to an alinco gold than most people think. No longer have my alinco gold though :(

6. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Yes it's the Black Shadow 90 not the EV. I haven't spent much time with it yet because of how shockingly bright it was and I wanted to make certain it was ok first. I did notice though that despite the brightness it seemed musical so I'm looking forward to adjusting to it and giving it a go.

I agree about the Creamback- it's the best I've ever had.

The G12H-30 can sound like the alnico- there is a speaker comparison on YT with a Matchless that compares the alnico and G12-H30 and the ceramic speaker does well.

7. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I'll be the P.I.T.A. here. I have a number of cabs and the Black Shadow is one of the dullest sounding of all. Next in line would be the Weber BD Alnico.

Somebody's speaker is not right. ....is it mine?

8. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

It may be both. Mine is off the charts bright but it may be controllable, I need to get back to that one when I can. I've read that these speakers like open back cabs?

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Hmm. I've owned a few iterations of the G12-80 / CL80 / C90, and a few versions of the Weber BD.

The G12-80 is on the bright side for a British speaker. Its still has the upper-midrange presence of a Celestion, but a bit more treble than, say, a V30 or Gold. So compared to a V30 or Gold, it might seem bright, but compared to a JBL, EVM12L, or other American speakers, it might seem dark. Its pretty balanced IMO, and during recordings over the past year, I felt I needed a bit more top-end combined with the cut-through you get from a British speaker. I like the smoothness of hemp cones, which lead me to the Steamboat Hemp 100: a re-built G12-80 with a Tone Tubby hemp cone.

The Weber BD can be brighter or darker than a Gold. The first one I had was a ceramic with 50w with a paper cone and some sort of doping IIRC (light I think). This was brighter than a Gold. The most recent one I had was a 100w ceramic with a hemp cone and pre-rola doping. It was the smoothest midrange I've heard, but too dark for me (next time, I'd get it without the dope). My Steamboat replaced this Weber.