Finally got to try a 20th Shiva!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shanesiegle, Mar 13, 2015.

1. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Man what a killer amp! I have played the regular models a few times and thought they were cool but this thing is out of this world! Easily one of the best clean channels I have encountered and the lead channel can do just about everything very well. I see one of these in my future for sure.

While I was there I tried out a mini recto and was pleasantly surprised with that too! Fun guitar shop day for sure, at Guitar Zar in Salt Lake.

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Yeah....the KT-88's are a very cool tube. Love my Bogner amps!

3. shanesiegle

I know there are other tweaks but the kt88s really sound superb with this amp. First time I plugged into anything since I got my Sig X that I had to have. Thinking the mini recto is on the list too which surprises me since the full size version isn't exactly my cup of tea.

4. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Awesome sounding amp.
    My favorite Bogner.

5. flimz

flimz Supporting Member

Another very happy 20th Shiva owner here! Mine's got EL34s in it.

6. BoogieManSC

BoogieManSC Supporting Member

Also just picked up a Shiva 2 weeks ago and I'm insanely in love with it. Very harmonically rich tone. Mine's an EL-34 model as well, but would love to try a KT one of these days...almost afraid to...$$$

7. shanesiegle

I'm almost positive it's just a resistor change to switch over so it wouldn't be that expensive if you liked it. To me it makes it tighter and more modern sounding which I like. It still could get all the old school shiva tones too but with tones you couldn't get before.

8. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Yup just a resistor change. On mine chose a resistor that would cover a range of both KT88 and EL34 for easy swap and bias. The tranny's are not designed with any particular tube in mind according to Bogner.

9. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I'd love to try one but I'm afraid to...

10. shanesiegle

You should be they are amazing! I'm going to La in a couple weeks and will be amp shopping. So far it's the front runner.

11. bkatx

bkatx Member

I've been looking at this amp for awhile, you're not helping :D

12. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

That's what I did with mine. Now I can bias up to KT88's or EL34's. The EL34's can sound mushy when kranked REAL hard but I've never need that loud even in a band. Got El34's in there now cause I like that older Shiva classic sound. Just an amazing amp with THE best clean Ch, I like it better than most vintage Fenders. The KT88s make the clean Ch sound a little better I think too.

Also I've had a Mini Recto and I'll tell ya that amp is just SMOKIN with every kind of tone from Classic rock, blues or metal... I'd still own it if I didn't get offered a brand new Quick Rod head for it.

13. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

Would be interesting to know if the 20th Anniversary uses a different Output Tranny than the EL34 model. I'm thinking that the KT88 has a different primary impedance requirement than the EL34. At least for an optimum match.

14. BrentSP

Nope, same tranny for both versions according to Bogner, no difference.

15. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

Thanks for that. Have a sale pending on my Clubman, and a Shiva is one of the frontrunners to replace it. I prefer EL34's so I wanted to make sure I didn't have a reason to cross the 20th Anniversary off my list.

16. shanesiegle

I have one on the way to me and can't wait! I will post a review after I get a chance to spend some time with it.

17. BrentSP

I've been up and down about selling mine (currently for sale). Its a damn good amp but I use the GF45 exclusively out and the 101B for studio/recording. The Shiva 20th I haven't found a fit yet but its sounds so good. 3 is a crowd for amps it seems with me. Now guitars I seem to can't have too many.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  18. kselbee

kselbee Member

I owned the original Shiva (EL34) several years ago and I loved the cleans and loved the crunch, but for me there was just no lead channel there. I tried to make it work by pushing the dirty channel with pedals but just wasn't crazy about it so I sold it. I've heard the 20th has more gain on tap so that should work for me. Are they still making the 20th? Seems weird if it was just a 20th anniversary model. But anyway, I've been wanting an EL34 amp again so maybe I should check one out.

19. flimz

flimz Supporting Member

Zappatalist...I have the mode switch mod on mine and its awesome. Shouldve been done that way from the factory. :)

20. BrentSP

Yeah with the mode engaged it has more than enough gain for most players. It's a very open and big high gain crunch, big teeth with good high mids and sweet highs.