Finally got to try the Marshall SV20

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, Oct 22, 2019.

1. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

This thread has been very helpful.
    I searched and it seems the Belle Epoch is a good place to start with an echoplex preamp?

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Honest question, were the controls on the guitar wide open? I'm really looking at some Marshall amps and I don't have any trouble with "bright" since I can set my guitar up to work with what the amp is giving. I've tended to have serious trouble with amps that get too dark than amps that are too bright.

Tread, macmeda and BobChuck like this.
  3. caballero59

caballero59 Member

The bright channel is only viciously bright when the amp is turned down. When you crank it, it's perfect.

GT100, wntbtw, macmeda and 1 other person like this.
  4. ken374

ken374 Member

the normal channel bleeds through some try using it:)

wntbtw likes this.
  5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

There are two inputs for a reason. No one ever thinks to just try the LOW input on the Treble side.
    That being said, it does work best jumpered and it is a VERY LOUD 20 watts IMHO. Still, great amp if you have a good sounding cab.

Tread and wntbtw like this.
  6. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

The 4 hole marshalls were designed to be bright... at low (no band) volumes. Once you crank it up the brightness disappears and yet there is still a large Presence there that it stands out in a band mix and occupies a bandwidth that does not compete/interfere with bass, bass drums, or even the vocals. And if it's still too bright, that's what the tone control in your guitar is for. Turning it down is one of the keys to great tone heard on so many recordings. These 4-hole amps have been like this for 50 years.

It's almost 2020, there's still people who don't get this?

middy, aynirar27, GenoVox and 4 others like this.
  7. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

Or just an Xotic EP booster if you don’t need the delay.

Dr.Lee, GenoVox, wntbtw and 1 other person like this.
  8. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

well I’ve owned a few 4 hole Marshall’s in my day. They were bright but this one struck me overly bright and harsh. No I didn’t crank it.

wntbtw likes this.
  9. Vanyu

Vanyu Member

Judging by everyone’s assertions of this amps brightness, I’m assuming it has the 5000pF bright cap. With a cap that large, it’s critical to have that thing slinging some volume for it to even remotely sound right (ends up too overdriven for my taste, but YMMV). I had that cap in my SL for a second and I found it sounded best at 7-8 on the volume knob.

It’d be really interesting to hear an SV20 with a preamp modded to true ‘Plexi’ specs, I think it’d be a real game changer.

10. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

or preferably Belle Epoch Deluxe for me. Or Chase Tone Secret Preamp. Honestly the changes are pretty subtle.

11. JonSick

JonSick Member

I have a 1987x. It's an amazing amplifier but for me it is wholly relegated to recording only. It's almost impossible to use in rehearsal and in local venues where volume is an issue. I use a Marshall Powerbreak with mine too. When cranked it's exceptional and simply as I like its recorded tone, that's the main reason I still own it.

I have tried the studio vintage 20 too. Yes, it does need to be cranked to get the tone out of it, but that is endemic of this circuit design. You either get it or you don't. If you do, you'll love it; if you don't then it doesn't make you a lesser human being. There are plenty of other amps around that get you there for less effort and I totally get it. Even the humble JCM800 2203 I would not recommend for the average gigging (metal) guitarist these days simply as other amps are generally cheaper, more reliable given the age of JCM800s in general and require less messing around with.

I would like an SV20, but it'll wait.

wntbtw likes this.
  12. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Love mine :dunno

wntbtw likes this.
  13. stephen78

stephen78 Member

I tried the combo at a local shop. I didn't try any of the inputs alone...I went straight to jumpering. I loved the tone! Especially the percussive-ness on the lower strings. I plan on getting one. I'll most likely get the head version though and just play it through my Mojotone Lite 1x12 open back cab with a Neo Creamback. But the combo version is very nice as well. The inefficient 10" helps with getting the cranked tone at slightly lower volume in 5 watt mode.

GenoVox, ken374 and wntbtw like this.
  14. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

Been playing a long time, I know 5 watt amps are loud. But dayum.. the head into a 2x12 on low power... still almost to loud for a rehearsal with drums.. does sound great into load box ....

Dr.Lee and wntbtw like this.
  15. thanemuzika

thanemuzika Member

@jashobbsie cool video, love how you dialled the amp in, bright yes. But in a band setting, the brightness would cut through like no one business. Certain aspects of your playing the amp remind me of SRV, Buddy Guys veins which is cool too. :aok

I could always add a MXR Micro amp/TC Spark Booster/Boss BD-2/tubescreamers with an eq pedal (one or two) to tame the amp a little bit because i think with a mahogany body it would not be as bright in the video (always could tame the brightness with the guitar tone control on tele or strat style). The best part this model has the effects loop (slap a delay and reverb, I'm done only if necessary) or you could get 2 of this bad boy and slave the first one into the 2nd one, dialled one for slightly crunchy and the main head slaved wide open, oh the possibilities :cool:. For the time being I'm eyeing on the dsl20cr this one have to wait. Need the 2nd channel for some heavy stuffs :p.

16. gitfiddler99

gitfiddler99 Member

Cant you just run something with a volume level through the loop? Why do you need an attenuator or load box? Other than the power amp distortion.

17. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

I have an attenuator I can use with it, just louder in 5 watt mode than any 5 watt amp I have.. amp sounds great...
    This was just a heads up fo anyone thinking this amp is good for bedroom volume all by itself.

18. Sheppard93

Sheppard93 Member

Used one at Long and McQuade today. It was plugged into an Ox reactive hot load box and I listened through headphones. It was one of the best tones I’ve ever had in my life.

highfidelity66 and Tread like this.
  19. Pat6969

Pat6969 Member

What cab sim?

jashobbsie likes this.
  20. Sheppard93

Sheppard93 Member

Good question! But I’m so unfamiliar with the Ox that I didn’t think to look!