Finally, I got a DANOCASTER...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by King Loudness, May 7, 2016.

1. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

... and it's truly everything I could ever have hoped for, and more!

First, a backstory...

For the better part of the last three years, I've been reading about these beautiful guitars built by Dan Strain in Nashville, TN. I'm typically more of a PRS or Gibson guy, and historically haven't had great luck with Fenders or Fender style axes, so I've tended to stay away from the higher end boutiques in that realm since I haven't had the the best go-round with Strats and Teles. However, every now and then I'll get a bug in my head; a sort of instinct that tells me a guitar will be exactly what I need and everything I expect. Every picture, every post... it just made the GAS stronger to the point where I knew that if I could track down a nice Dano (preferably a Tele) I would find my Excalibur of the Fender world. Being in Canada the problem has been that our dollar has made buying from the US an expensive proposition (especially in the last year) and in three years of looking I had only seen one or two for sale in Canada directly. Finally a few weeks ago I made the decision that I had to try and find a Dano, any Dano...

I spoke with a couple sellers here on TGP who were very gracious, but a deal was not to be on those particular guitars due to the aforementioned currency issues. Around the same time, I managed to find someone in Newfoundland via the Guitars Canada forum who had a whiteguard Dano Esquire. I sent him a PM asking if by chance he would sell, and after some negotiating, I was the proud owner of a 5.7 lbs, 2013 model year Danocaster Esquire! It arrived last Tuesday perfectly in tune. The seller assured me that the guitar would absolutely meet my expectations. I had been looking for a Tele rather than the Esquire arrangement, but beggars can't be choosers in this case. I had no idea how perfectly the chosen specs would suit me in an instrument.

Since the guitar arrived, I have been playing triple the amount of time that I usually do. The guitar is beyond compare, quite honestly. It's an absolute FEATHERWEIGHT, and given that I have a history of shoulder injury, the 5.7 lbs weight is perfect for me. It has a killer fat C shape profile that is perfectly polished and feels more like a vintage guitar than any of the high end models I've tried by the big "F." The finish work is absolutely spectacular, it's a light relic that perfectly captures the vibe I would have hoped for if ordering to my own specs. The pickup is a Budz "Danocaster" model, which sonically has the greatest range I've ever found in a T style pickup. It works very intuitively with the volume and tone controls to give a range of tones that is beyond versatile. This particular instrument has the "Eldred" wiring mod which gives the benefit of having the tone wide open/bypassed in one position, regular vol/tone control access in another, and then a "cocked wah" type sound which I believe is conjured up by use of some resistors to bring out more of a midrange frequency from the pickup. Either way, it's extremely versatile. I have used the guitar non-stop for rehearsals and gigs since acquiring it and every band has commented how fantastic it sounds and how well it sits in a mix. I'm having a blast playing more than ever. Now that I am done typing this thread, it is time to go play! Thanks for reading, everyone!

Some of Dan's "deck shots" along with a couple of my own:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some shots of it that I've taken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a clip I posted of the guitar yesterday, channeling a bit of the Gilmour vibe. If you're an Instagram user, check it out. EDIT: Seems to embed just fine!

Thanks... now, off to play!
    Will.

jpervin, TeleFromHelly, Jven and 28 others like this.
  2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Nice one mate. They are killer guitars. Enjoy it.

3. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

I LOVE your Dan-o. There really is nothing else like them. I especially like the nicotine blonde.

I love mine and it has become one of my favorite Strat's ever!!

Congrat's!!!!

4. unseen hand

unseen hand Member

Congrats!... I'm currently having a Dano Esquire built myself. Rock on!

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Very nice, enjoy!

6. Bunky

Bunky Member

That things is ugly, you don't want it you should unload it quick cheap.

markflo likes this.
  7. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Congrats! It sounds great in the video and nice playing as well.

8. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Wait until you try a Dano Strat. :rotflmao

Congrats. Looks great. I'm in Ontario. Please let me know if you ever sell it.

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Great playing on that Dano!

10. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

11. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

Beautiful Danocaster and great playing on the video clip!

12. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

13. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful guitar, play it and enjoy...

14. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

my favorite dano finish, for sure. . . . though i like 'em a little more worn
    great playing. really great. just my style. you have to tell us about the rest of the sonic chain. excellent tone.

and be careful with that axe, eugene.

15. fretless

fretless Silver Supporting Member

One of the nicest Tele's/Esquires I've ever seen. Just incredible. Congrats!!!

16. Decal

Decal Member

I echo everyone else's sentiments!
    I ordered one and mine is DAYS away from completion...literally any day now.
    It's my first Dano, and my first custom ANYTHING! Exquisite torture!
    I'm driving down to Nashville from Minneapolis next week to pick it up, and spend a few days.

You better believe I'm going to post a NGD. I am beside myself...
    Maybe I'll get to snap a selfie with Mr. Strain...
    Congrats! Yours is gorgeous! Sounds beautiful!

17. monty

monty Member

She's a beaut, congrats!

18. StevenO

StevenO Member

That's truly beautiful. I hope you enjoy it for years to come. :)

19. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Congrats, I love it!

I've got a Dano White Guard that I sometimes am tempted to turn into an Esquire......if only the other positions didn't sound so good.
    Funny though that is what makes me hesitate as I am almost always exclusively on the bridge pickup.

Great sound and playing in your video and yes, I find my Dano does great Gilmour and about anything else I want to tackle with a wide range available in it.
    It is the one guitar that is always "just right every time I pick it up even after 8 years of having it.

May you have many good years with it.

20. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

well it looks a hell of a lot cooler than that guitar your holding on your bandcamp site pic. Time for new profile pic

:)

Congrats. It's good lookin'
    Sounded great as well.