Finally learnt why guitarists can be so precious about their guitars the other night.

Jynx

I've been playing guitar for two years and I've never cared to hand it to anyone else and let them have a go. Before playing guitar I never understood either why some people get so prickly if you ask for a go as if you're asking to hold their baby.

Then the other day I had my guitar in the car and a guy from work asked for a go on it so we set it up in the IT workshop with my Pod Go and a portable speaker and I gave him a go of my Schecter C-1 SLS Elite. I just love this guitar.

Anyway this guy has been playing guitar over 20 years so I trusted him to treat it well, more so than anyone else I allowed have a go. Instead he proceeded to pummel the guitar. Striking it way harder than I do. Really digging into the strings. I mean he was playing some dope tunes, but it felt to me like he was challenging himself to break the all strings.

I suppose it figures he knew well what he was doing, way more so than me, but I'm rather light on the guitar. I treat a guitar like The Pointer Sisters. Picture a feather floating down from the sky and brushing gently past all the strings as it passes. It doesn't matter if I'm playing metal or Trad. So seeing him treating my guitar like a pimp would; it made me fear for its safety.

Last edited:

ucsteve

Ive had that happen when i play other peoples drums.
they dont sing unless ya hit em
as far as guitar goes, idk it depends I guess. I was real gingerly with my bosses guitars on tour, and he would usually bust my balls about it. As long as you arent banging it around to muff up the finish, strings are pretty tough. But then again, I dont have any $3k proto type guitars of my own so bumps and scratches are to be expected in my gun club

jvin248

What you need ... is a relic guitar.

Go find a $50 beater guitar, do some more relic work on it, get it set up by a pro and play that for a while. You'll understand why many like relic guitars. There is no wincing about how hard you are digging in. Your tone and playing will improve. I learned a lot from the relic I have.

Jynx

What you need ... is a relic guitar.

Go find a $50 beater guitar, do some more relic work on it, get it set up by a pro and play that for a while. You'll understand why many like relic guitars. There is no wincing about how hard you are digging in. Your tone and playing will improve. I learned a lot from the relic I have.

I have a beater right here at work.

20201017_000206.jpg

Jazzandmore

Gold Supporting Member
Had a buddy of mine who has been a gigging player for 35+ years play one of mine. Definitely heavy handed, got me a bit uncomfortable for sure. I’ll never let him touch one again. It’s not like he broke it, but his strum style scratches it up quick time. :oops:

Way I see it, always treat other peoples stuff delicately unless told otherwise.

Besides I’ve been very close to some of the greatest players in the world, McLaughlin, Metheny, Stern, Robben Ford, and Holdsworth. None of them need to beat their guitar to death to play great music.

VintagePlayerStrat

Supporting Member
I've been playing guitar for two years and I've never cared to hand it to anyone else and let them have a go. Before playing guitar I never understood either why some people get so prickly if you ask for a go as if you're asking to hold their baby.

Then the other day I had my guitar in the car and a guy from work asked for a go on it so we set it up in the IT workshop with my Pod Go and a portable speaker and I gave him a go of my Schecter C-1 SLS Elite. I just love this guitar.

Anyway this guy has been playing guitar over 20 years so I trusted him to treat it well, more so than anyone else I allowed have a go. Instead he proceeded to pummel the guitar. Striking it way harder than I do. Really digging into the strings. I mean he was playing some dope tunes, but it felt to me like he was challenging himself to break the all strings.

I suppose it figures he knew well what he was doing, way more so than me, but I'm rather light on the guitar. I treat a guitar like The Pointer Sisters. Picture a feather floating down from the sky and brushing gently past all the strings as it passes. It doesn't matter if I'm playing metal or Trad. So seeing him treating my guitar like a pimp would; it made me fear for its safety.
I guess that's fine. Though, I think he kinda sounds like an arse. lol.

Jynx

Had a buddy of mine who has been a gigging player for 35+ years play one of mine. Definitely heavy handed, got me a bit uncomfortable for sure. I’ll never let him touch one again. It’s not like he broke it, but his strum style scratches it up quick time. :oops:

Way I see it, always treat other peoples stuff delicately unless told otherwise.

Besides I’ve been very close to some of the greatest players in the world, McLaughlin, Metheny, Stern, Robben Ford, and Holdsworth. None of them need to beat their guitar to death to play great music.
This guy gets it.

ucsteve

I think I do. You're a new player like I was a couple years ago( I still am really), and you sound like your rather trepidatious and overly cautious about some stuff. Which is understandable of course. You'll either grow out of it, or not ever hand one of your guitars to anyone.