Finally learnt why guitarists can be so precious about their guitars the other night.

C-4

After having two of my best guitars broken on stage by a-holes, who had no respect, now, when someone asks me to try one of my guitars, unless I know them very well, the answer is "NO!"

I've had players tell me that I could try their guitars, and I told them I wasn't interested in trying anyone else's guitars, ever.

If I'm interested in a guitar, I go to a music store to try it, and buy it if I like it that much.

I’m all for taking care of your instruments, but worrying about how hard someone picks the strings is kind of over the top. Was he playing with a metal coin or something? That’s the only way I could see hard picking doing serious damage to the veneer on your Schecter.

Guitars are tools. You shouldn’t abuse them, but you need to use enough force to get the desired effect.

JPH118

So seeing him treating my guitar like a pimp would; it made me fear for its safety.
I had a similar experience with my old man’s ‘66 Tele years ago, after bringing it into a local shop to show the owner (a friend). I had no problem letting him try it out, he was an incredible player... but he grabbed that thing and beat it like his stepchild. I’d never seen that right-hand style in person, up close before, it was more like a funk bassist than the fingerstyle I’d learned.

I was equal parts horrified, AND blown away, because he got tones out of that Tele that I’d never heard before (Gatton & Buchanan weren’t in my life yet). It actually changed the way I play, particularly on a Tele.

Mike Grafft

I always have a guitar that I feel comfortable lending. But keep your mitts off of my Les paul, or my jazzmaster

Mike Grafft

I don’t mind letting friends play any of my guitars. But my guitars have been through quite a few gigs, so they get the normal scratches, etc, that happen. And they play with a feather while I use what ever is around, pick wise.(anyone else remember shattering a unliked record to make picks)
SGs are great for neckdives!
But I did have one friend who had oily fingers, which I don’t. Meant I always had to wipe it down after he played it. Wish he was still here. I miss wiping down the guitar after he played it.
How about that little plastic thing they use to hold bread, and hot dog buns? Also the things they give away to scratch lottery tickets with make great bass picks, right?

dead of night

I wonder if many of you who would freely lend your guitars are lending used instruments with the repaired headstock and drilled holes you picked up on Ebay.

I wonder if any of you are lending out $4,000 instruments you cherish and have saved up a long time for to someone who will treat as if they are getting revenge on rich people.

Mike Grafft

the reason Gibson put a heart on Wes Montgomery’s l-5 models was because his picking style (his hands splayed along the top while he picked w his thumb) wore the finish away. Another “dainty jazz guy.”

again, wear is inevitable.
IMG_20201002_083233886.jpg I been beating on this one since 68. But I also respect the he** out of it

MjS88

Luckily I haven't had any issues yet.

My band mates can play my guitar no problem (even my shiny PRS). They are gentler than I am, but I'm not too bad either. I happily will (and have) lent them guitars and vice versa. I do tend to pick heavy and I'm well aware of that. When borrow a guitar (or play in a store or something) I make sure I pick a little gentler.

I wouldn't let people play my guitar if I don't know them well and I don't know how careful they are.

Shelldigger

I'm a fairly aggressive player, I wear frets out at a rate most people would take decades to achieve. But I'm not a wildly aggressive player with my picking hand. Which is where most of the damage I'm hearing about is coming from.

I've never been fearful of trusting a player I know with one of my guitars, but some complete Joe Blow from Pocomo isn't likely to get that privilege.

If I saw someone doing neck bends with one of my guitars there would be immediate issues. As in doing a neck bend of my own. ;)

Once when I was playing in a 3 piece some hippie came up to me and asked ,

Can I play your bass I want to show you a reggae song ?

Before I could say anything the guitar player said no and for the rest of us playing the hippie loudly complained about me not letting him play my bass.

A friend in a pro band from Europe I let take my bass down to LA for a impromptu show . No issues let him play it for one more in town . A few years later they book a US tour and he wanted to borrow it . I knew he treated it well but said OK but I want a promise if something happens to it you owe me a bass like it . For some reason that bothered him and he took one of his instead .

roverdog

How about that little plastic thing they use to hold bread, and hot dog buns? Also the things they give away to scratch lottery tickets with make great bass picks, right?
Used the bread bag things too! Use my fingers for bass so can’t say about the lottery ticket thing.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I've been playing guitar for two years and I've never cared to hand it to anyone else and let them have a go. Before playing guitar I never understood either why some people get so prickly if you ask for a go as if you're asking to hold their baby.

Then the other day I had my guitar in the car and a guy from work asked for a go on it so we set it up in the IT workshop with my Pod Go and a portable speaker and I gave him a go of my Schecter C-1 SLS Elite. I just love this guitar.

Anyway this guy has been playing guitar over 20 years so I trusted him to treat it well, more so than anyone else I allowed have a go. Instead he proceeded to pummel the guitar. Striking it way harder than I do. Really digging into the strings. I mean he was playing some dope tunes, but it felt to me like he was challenging himself to break the all strings.

I suppose it figures he knew well what he was doing, way more so than me, but I'm rather light on the guitar. I treat a guitar like The Pointer Sisters. Picture a feather floating down from the sky and brushing gently past all the strings as it passes. It doesn't matter if I'm playing metal or Trad. So seeing him treating my guitar like a pimp would; it made me fear for its safety.
Thank you for putting a smile on my face. I have always taken good care of my guitars. Any diities I have done to a guitar have been accident/light neglect, but really, playing it I never injured it. I have had pickguard marks & some have caught wood on my acoustic. BUT, it has been pointed out to me I play hard. But you reminded me of the horror look on my friends face when I went to town on his Martin D-28. He lit up. No damage done. Guitar made its first serious sounds. He was reluctantly thankful to learn how good it could sound.

ragnar

That was my response. BTW, it was Custom Shop Player Strat (my best playing and sounding strat). I did let him borrow other guitars after that .. but only the beaters. I'm not that fussy about my stuff, and he's a mate, but there was no reason to let him take out the really good stuff anymore. For the uninitiated in using the technique ... this is a mild version of what he attempted on my guitar:

I like how he's illustrating it while saying, "And you can break it here, and you can break it there - let me illustrate all the ways you can break your guitar."

And why your friend would do that with a) your guitar and b) instead of using the tremolo just boggles the mind.

sixty2strat

They is no need for anyone to play my guitars in less than secure conditions. Accidents happen no one will ever make your loss whole.

If your at my house hanging out I know you and respect you, I'll offer a guitar to try and you can sit and try it out in the safety of my carpeted room on a couch. I know that you will respect my gear as I do yours, any any mishap will upset you equally.
If you want to sit in at a gig, F-off we are working and not here for you to crash our show.
If we know you and invited you to sit in, then you brought your guitar, we would not invite youif you were that presumptive rude.
At a jam or open mic...F-off, DO I LOOK LIKE I'M HERE to supply you with a guitar so spider unless your Beck, Page or Jimi back from the dead get lost.
If I'm in the house band the advert clearly states what is supplied so go home and get yours. or play the 75.00 maestro we have for the illiterate and stupid

Last edited:

sixty2strat

IN truth I don't know why people do over play on a guitar they just picked up, I think they want to show off " ahackers show case a personal eruption" I myself prefer to play a new guitar in a more reflective manner to assay it qualities and feel. I want to listen to it not you listen to me. If it has clarity girth and sustain in a small quiet amp, fuzz covers a multitude of sins not just the players. If it is good then ,can you imagine a cranked Hiwaitt

sixty2strat

Once when I was playing in a 3 piece some hippie came up to me and asked ,

Can I play your bass I want to show you a reggae song ?

Before I could say anything the guitar player said no and for the rest of us playing the hippie loudly complained about me not letting him play my bass.
Been there with a metal head. The guy was semi famous in the early 80's. His band opened for Ozzy but got bounced for been to fubared. So 20 years after his chance passed him he was still a obnoxious drunk. I ran an open mic and he was nothing but trouble, even had his own roadie. So one night my regular band is playing there on a saturday. place is packed 200 plus covers paid ,which tells me there were more. This comes to the side of the stage and motions me to let him sit in, and use my 74 Standard. Guy can hardly stand up right, and starts demanding and making a scene. I say no for the 3rd time all as we are playing. The bouncers hustle him out as the song ends he's screaming one you and Sharon Osborn ever f'd me over. over my mic I go guess I'm moving up.

Been there with a metal head. The guy was semi famous in the early 80's. His band opened for Ozzy but got bounced for been to fubared. So 20 years after his chance passed him he was still a obnoxious drunk. I ran an open mic and he was nothing but trouble, even had his own roadie. So one night my regular band is playing there on a saturday. place is packed 200 plus covers paid ,which tells me there were more. This comes to the side of the stage and motions me to let him sit in, and use my 74 Standard. Guy can hardly stand up right, and starts demanding and making a scene. I say no for the 3rd time all as we are playing. The bouncers hustle him out as the song ends he's screaming one you and Sharon Osborn ever f'd me over. over my mic I go guess I'm moving up.
His first name Peter ?

Trending Topics