• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Finally learnt why guitarists can be so precious about their guitars the other night.

ripgtr

My buddy left me his all-original 1958 Strat for a few weeks
I went and sat in with a friends band a couple years ago. I had just done an afternoon gig and it was the same bass player too, so I took along the strat I'd played at the gig, a'60 strat I've had over 4 decades now. I offered to swap guitars for a song or two with one of the other guitar players, and she refused, she was afraid she was going to hurt it or something. This is a beat up guitar, it was well worn when I got it and I got an easy thousand gigs on it. I was like "it's just a guitar " and she just didn't want to touch it. I guess it is possible to damage it (not like a ding, how would you see it with all the other dings) but that would be kind of hard to do.

I don't know, to me it is just a guitar to be played and make noise with.

I've been playing guitar for two years and I've never cared to hand it to anyone else and let them have a go. Before playing guitar I never understood either why some people get so prickly if you ask for a go as if you're asking to hold their baby.

Then the other day I had my guitar in the car and a guy from work asked for a go on it so we set it up in the IT workshop with my Pod Go and a portable speaker and I gave him a go of my Schecter C-1 SLS Elite. I just love this guitar.

Anyway this guy has been playing guitar over 20 years so I trusted him to treat it well, more so than anyone else I allowed have a go. Instead he proceeded to pummel the guitar. Striking it way harder than I do. Really digging into the strings. I mean he was playing some dope tunes, but it felt to me like he was challenging himself to break the all strings.

I suppose it figures he knew well what he was doing, way more so than me, but I'm rather light on the guitar. I treat a guitar like The Pointer Sisters. Picture a feather floating down from the sky and brushing gently past all the strings as it passes. It doesn't matter if I'm playing metal or Trad. So seeing him treating my guitar like a pimp would; it made me fear for its safety.
Sorta the same thing happened with me and a “friend”. I asked him if he wanted to play the guitar. He started slam picking over the neck HB pickup, he stopped and said, “that’s why I don’t like these picks”.
Why I ask? They leave scratches on the pickup covers he said.
I got the guitar and they wasn’t pick scratches, they were wound string scratches where he bashed them down into the pickup.

First time my fault.
Second time,,,,there ain’t gonna be no more stinking second times and no more first times.
I don’t offer since then.
That single incident changed my opinion about asking if they want to play a particular guitar.
They gonna have to ask now and I will be a like a MMA Dad when his daughter’s first date comes for dinner, standing over him with pepper spray in one hand and a taser in the other, after I’ve already given him warning, you hurt or disrespect her and I will unmercifully hurt and disrespect you.

cust22

I don't think there is anything wrong with what he did...But If you don't treat my stuff with respect I wouldn't let you play.
More often then not I say NO!
There are a very few people who I would allow to play my guitars.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
I can beat on a guitar pretty good, I take it easy with other peoples gear. This is one reason why I like having beater guitars. The only thing I've worried about in ages is the repro nitro guard on my #1.

To be fair, if I was playing someone else’s guitar I would be very careful and gentle with it. I have a lot of respect for other people’s possessions and would never want to harm something. My original reply was a bit flip.
I took a Strat and Les Paul to band practice, the other guitar player played a Strat and ask if he could play my new Les Paul, sure go ahead.
He was a slim guy, wore Levi’s, no belt, and a tucked in t shirt.
I pretty much dressed the same with shirt out, but I have a gut due to genetics or fried tatters and cornbread and beer, still trying to figure out what caused my gut.
Anyway I noticed that the rivets on his Levi’s was putting scratch marks on the back of the guitar .
I politely, I want to stress politely ask him if he would mind pulling his t shirt out because the rivets were putting scratches on the guitar.
His reply,,,,,F¥<K YOU!!!!! as he pulled his t shirt out.
He later voluntarily spent some time in a local mental health facility for in-patient treatment which had nothing to do with that night.
Very talented but very strange guy that I had known for years and never suspected any mental illness issues, a normal fun guy.

I don’t know why his cheese slid off his cracker, but it definitely did.
My wife told me once before that happened, “I want you to know that “John” is a really weird dude”.
She denied that anything had ever happened between them.
I asked her if she thought that I was weird, she said,
“you have to be because you married me”. LoL

Jynx

I see the guy mentioned in the OP has a couple of vids on YouTube. Treads the strings like gossamer on his own axe. Grrr.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Damn! I would stop him in his tracks if after the first couple of poundings on the strings I could see his landing zone was on the face of my baby.
I wish I'd noticed. I was busy shooting video and it never occurred to me. I play where the strings are, not all over the body.

Pastafarian

I attack all my guitars with brute force. it's one of the reasons I like my strats set with slightly high action. To wring every last note out of them. I like to fight a guitar a little bit. Now admittedly the guitar in my profile pic is set up for shredding but even that gets pounded on when I use it.

I rarely if ever get asked to lend my guitars because I am a lefty and there aint that many of us around here.

Radspin

Nobody‘s touching my guitars except me and very close friends. The last time I let someone I didn’t know play my guitar, I didn’t notice that they had a big belt buckle until after they handed it back to me. There was a big scratch in the Strat-type backplate. If that backplate wasn’t there he would have put a big scratch in the back of the guitar. And I would have been more mad at myself than him. So, no.

Sam Xavier

I've been playing guitar for two years and I've never cared to hand it to anyone else and let them have a go. Before playing guitar I never understood either why some people get so prickly if you ask for a go as if you're asking to hold their baby.

Then the other day I had my guitar in the car and a guy from work asked for a go on it so we set it up in the IT workshop with my Pod Go and a portable speaker and I gave him a go of my Schecter C-1 SLS Elite. I just love this guitar.

Anyway this guy has been playing guitar over 20 years so I trusted him to treat it well, more so than anyone else I allowed have a go. Instead he proceeded to pummel the guitar. Striking it way harder than I do. Really digging into the strings. I mean he was playing some dope tunes, but it felt to me like he was challenging himself to break the all strings.

I suppose it figures he knew well what he was doing, way more so than me, but I'm rather light on the guitar. I treat a guitar like The Pointer Sisters. Picture a feather floating down from the sky and brushing gently past all the strings as it passes. It doesn't matter if I'm playing metal or Trad. So seeing him treating my guitar like a pimp would; it made me fear for its safety.
You'd hate me, then. I treat all my gear well but I certainly don't tickle my guitars; I wallop the buggers.

ramblin_pony

I hate to let anyone touch my guitars because they don't wash their damned hands. The last thing that touches my hands before they touch a guitar are soap and water. It keeps the guitar nice and clean to play, keeps the frets and board clear of disgusting grunge that is filthy and eats frets. All it takes is one asshat and you've literally got sh!t all over your guitar.

stanshall

depends on the guitar ... some guitars are there for the purpose of letting other people play them, others are no way, sorry, nothing personal ... this happened to me last night, I wasn't letting anybody handle one of my old acoustics, said sorry kid, love ya but I can't

FoundIt

Silver Supporting Member
I don't mind some folks playing mine, and others aren't allowed. I started playing long ago (in the 1950's) when as a 6 year old my Dad bought me a 1959 Guild M-65 Freshman for $235. That was a lot of money. His statement was "I don't buy cheap junk. I also don't buy twice. This is your guitar to own. If you pamper it, you will own it many years and it will still be pretty. If you trash it or break it, you won't own a guitar until you are grown and can buy your own. Remember, I only pay once." Ever since then I baby my gear. One scratch or ding ruins the instrument and I can't help that feeling. Anyway, quick story. Chet Atkins went to watch a Segovia concert. At the end of the show, Chet decided to go back stage. Segovia's folks didn't know Chet, but stage hands did, so they let him go back to Segovia's dressing room. He introduce himself and they spoke for a few minutes. Eventually Chet said "your guitar sounded wonderful, may I see it?" Segovia said "No, it is in the case and I will not open it for anyone until I need it again." Chet said he never felt so small.

Trending Topics