• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Finally learnt why guitarists can be so precious about their guitars the other night.

windjamma

Forgot to mention whilst my friendxwas trying to wear my frets out, in one session with over the top bending and vibrato. He was also trying to snap my tremelo arm, by thinking he was Van Halen.

Jo bo is right take the trem arm off. Otherwise people start trying to do floyd rose **** on a strat.

lcfparty35

I let a kid play a Gibson Dove on loan from my dad, and I went outside for a smoke. Came back and he was leading a sing along and just gouging the hell out of it. I grabbed it back but the damage was done. Scratched through the finish above and below the sound hole. He later died in a bizarre accident (not a joke) so I don’t begrudge the kid but my dad was so pissed that he gave me the guitar. An inauspicious acquisition. I also had his favorite Guild borrowed when my neighbor burned down our apartment building so he still gives me crap. Fair enough.

joebloggs13

I let a kid play a Gibson Dove on loan from my dad, and I went outside for a smoke. Came back and he was leading a sing along and just gouging the hell out of it. I grabbed it back but the damage was done. Scratched through the finish above and below the sound hole. He later died in a bizarre accident (not a joke) so I don’t begrudge the kid but my dad was so pissed that he gave me the guitar. An inauspicious acquisition. I also had his favorite Guild borrowed when my neighbor burned down our apartment building so he still gives me crap. Fair enough.
:omg....You can't make that stuff up...yikes. Crazy.

joebloggs13

While I don't baby my guitars, I found that as I became a better player, my touch, fretting and picking got much lighter. Their are times when a heavier approach is required, but overall, less is more. I don't understand why some people beat the crap out of their instruments. Admittedly some of these stories would be pretty funny if not for the damage caused by heavy handedness.

joebloggs13

I have only let a few play my guitars. My brother, and a couple of guys who work at my local music store. All know how to play, and how to treat an instrument. I never felt uneasy. However, I wouldn't let just anyone play them.

CapnRex

I think I do. You're a new player like I was a couple years ago( I still am really), and you sound like your rather trepidatious and overly cautious about some stuff. Which is understandable of course. You'll either grow out of it, or not ever hand one of your guitars to anyone.
Been playing for over 25 years. I have just one thing to say to anyone who asks to play my guitar, whether that be a friend or a reincarnated Jimi Frickin Hendrix: No.

Ry@n

I took a Strat and Les Paul to band practice, the other guitar player played a Strat and ask if he could play my new Les Paul, sure go ahead.
He was a slim guy, wore Levi’s, no belt, and a tucked in t shirt.
I pretty much dressed the same with shirt out, but I have a gut due to genetics or fried tatters and cornbread and beer, still trying to figure out what caused my gut.
Anyway I noticed that the rivets on his Levi’s was putting scratch marks on the back of the guitar .
I politely, I want to stress politely ask him if he would mind pulling his t shirt out because the rivets were putting scratches on the guitar.
His reply,,,,,F¥<K YOU!!!!! as he pulled his t shirt out.
He later voluntarily spent some time in a local mental health facility for in-patient treatment which had nothing to do with that night.
Very talented but very strange guy that I had known for years and never suspected any mental illness issues, a normal fun guy.

I don’t know why his cheese slid off his cracker, but it definitely did.
My wife told me once before that happened, “I want you to know that “John” is a really weird dude”.
She denied that anything had ever happened between them.
I asked her if she thought that I was weird, she said,
“you have to be because you married me”. LoL
This is why I only play certain guitars while wearing pajama pants...

ucsteve

Been playing for over 25 years. I have just one thing to say to anyone who asks to play my guitar, whether that be a friend or a reincarnated Jimi Frickin Hendrix: No.
thats a shame, i know some great guitar players. I love watching them play my guitars. Actually as a drummer, I like when I show them something, they make it better and i get behind my drums where I naturally belong and play to it.

idk what I would think if I saw a guy tell a reincarnated Jimi Hendrix NO YOU CANT TRY MY GUITAR!.
I def wouldnt buy THAT guy a beer after. But hopefully I would be there to offer mine up.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
I've been playing guitar for two years and I've never cared to hand it to anyone else and let them have a go. Before playing guitar I never understood either why some people get so prickly if you ask for a go as if you're asking to hold their baby.

Then the other day I had my guitar in the car and a guy from work asked for a go on it so we set it up in the IT workshop with my Pod Go and a portable speaker and I gave him a go of my Schecter C-1 SLS Elite. I just love this guitar.

Anyway this guy has been playing guitar over 20 years so I trusted him to treat it well, more so than anyone else I allowed have a go. Instead he proceeded to pummel the guitar. Striking it way harder than I do. Really digging into the strings. I mean he was playing some dope tunes, but it felt to me like he was challenging himself to break the all strings.

I suppose it figures he knew well what he was doing, way more so than me, but I'm rather light on the guitar. I treat a guitar like The Pointer Sisters. Picture a feather floating down from the sky and brushing gently past all the strings as it passes. It doesn't matter if I'm playing metal or Trad. So seeing him treating my guitar like a pimp would; it made me fear for its safety.
Yeah, I'm pretty much paranoid about this. Some guys can eat a plate of ribs and play their guitars without washing their hands, for one thing. I know a few people who wind up with cruddy strings in a day. Aside from that, I remember stopping at a friend's gig after my own night, when he broke a string. Since my car was right out front, I grabbed my Hamer Artist and handed it off to him, before realizing in horror that he usually beat the hell out of his pickguard (whih the Artist didn't have). He put marks in that thing that are probably still there... when I sold it years later it was the only thing I had to point out in the ad.

Sam Xavier

There's an interview with Mick Ronson out there where he's talking about the time he guested at one of Bowie's gigs and borrowed Earl Slick's guitar, and basically thrashed the bollocks off it. Mr Slick wasn't too happy but Ronno said he didn't know it was Earl's "special" guitar. :D

I can't find it, unfortunately. :(

ghostrider

Some people play guitar like they’re petting a newborn bunny a some people play like they’re beating a rented mule (SRV for example).

I‘d be more concerned if they bumped it against things or didn’t put it down carefully. This is why I have come around to relics. I didn’t like them at first, but now I love them.

CapnRex

thats a shame, i know some great guitar players. I love watching them play my guitars. Actually as a drummer, I like when I show them something, they make it better and i get behind my drums where I naturally belong and play to it.

idk what I would think if I saw a guy tell a reincarnated Jimi Hendrix NO YOU CANT TRY MY GUITAR!.
I def wouldnt buy THAT guy a beer after. But hopefully I would be there to offer mine up.
Lol fair enough. I was half joking. Really my good friends could play them, but not just anyone. But hey I'm a bedroom player with almost no friends so it's kind of a moot point for me anyway.

nebulon

I do my best to respect all takes on how one treat's one's instrument. I also tend to despise any wanton destruction of any instrument for any reason.

No one wants to have that conversation, especially with friends "Well, I handed it to you intact, and you dropped it...yes, unintentionally, of course, an accident, I know...but now my $2000 guitar is unplayable and possibly not fixable...how do we sort this out?"

Same goes for the reverse if I'm playing someone else's instrument, of course.

I get it, OP. I had a guy sit in with us once and he thoroughly ravaged my EVH Wolfgang. Got strings hung up in the pickup bobbins, played slide with a pocketknife and scratched up the fretboard. Never again will I hand one of my guitars to a stranger. Certainly none of my PRS. I’ll bring a beater from now on and anyone sitting in plays that.

Trending Topics