• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Finally learnt why guitarists can be so precious about their guitars the other night.

ucsteve

Lol fair enough. I was half joking. Really my good friends could play them, but not just anyone. But hey I'm a bedroom player with almost no friends so it's kind of a moot point for me anyway.
yeah i figured, i had my snark gun still out heh. Which is a reasonable way of it in my book. Ive been around long enough to know who should or shouldnt hold one of my guitars. And certain people and their guitars ya kinda get a feel if you should ever even ask. I lean on not asking pretty much. I got to meet a touring band not long ago during soundcheck, and i said hey nice 335. So he asked if i wanted to try it and i was like nah its pretty vintage and stuff. So he pretty much insisted I try it. But he also knew I worked for a mutual aquaintance. SO I did, and it was really really nice. I can only imagine had he not know that I doubt he would have just offered it to any fan who got backstage

Robert Libutti

Silver Supporting Member
I can see what the OP is talking about though. I'm always more careful with other people's things than my own. Agreed, guitars are tools, but in this case, it's someone else's guitar. You don't have to Kurt Cobain the thing in the break room. In my own experience, I got an HX FX the day it came out. I took it to show it to a friend and the guy was stomping the Begeezus out of the foot switches. Just no reason to slap-stomp them so hard in a low volume, noodling demo setting. He was using the looper function and just BAM BAM BAM BAM! You may eat KFC in your own car, but don't assume you can in someone else's car.

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
I gotta say there's a big difference between - "some guy" wanting to try my guitar (answer is no.) and a guitarist that I know.
In any event, I don't ask but usually won't say no if someone insists I try their baby.

orourke

Silver Supporting Member
I was at an open bar jam and I saw this guy I know pick up a wet bottle of Bud and use it for a slide on a guitar that one of the other jammers had let him play. It was a Tele thinline. It wasn’t even my guitar but I wanted to punch the guy in the nose. Total dick move.

Aehn

I've been playing guitar for two years and I've never cared to hand it to anyone else and let them have a go. Before playing guitar I never understood either why some people get so prickly if you ask for a go as if you're asking to hold their baby.

Then the other day I had my guitar in the car and a guy from work asked for a go on it so we set it up in the IT workshop with my Pod Go and a portable speaker and I gave him a go of my Schecter C-1 SLS Elite. I just love this guitar.

Anyway this guy has been playing guitar over 20 years so I trusted him to treat it well, more so than anyone else I allowed have a go. Instead he proceeded to pummel the guitar. Striking it way harder than I do. Really digging into the strings. I mean he was playing some dope tunes, but it felt to me like he was challenging himself to break the all strings.

I suppose it figures he knew well what he was doing, way more so than me, but I'm rather light on the guitar. I treat a guitar like The Pointer Sisters. Picture a feather floating down from the sky and brushing gently past all the strings as it passes. It doesn't matter if I'm playing metal or Trad. So seeing him treating my guitar like a pimp would; it made me fear for its safety.
OMG, well, nothing happened, lol

Atmospheric

Guitars are only slightly less personal than toothbrushes.

I once let a guy play my Les Paul during a break. After he was done, I picked it up and it had a bunch of weird buzzes in places. I basically never let someone play my guitar after that. I have to really know and trust the person. I will occasionally let people record with my guitars in my studio. But that's it.

I've never understood the whole deal of wanting to play someone else's guitar. My guitars are my guitars. They fit me to a t. If they didn't, I'd fix that.

Strato62

My friend left his super expensive 59 reissue Les Paul on the stage at out open jam. Some one just casually picked it up and started to use it for their three songs. I pointed this out to him but he shrugged it off. He wants me to play it through his amp so he can hear what it sounds like - I get nervous with it - no strap locks! No one plays my guitars ... I put them away after performing.

soma

The older I get the less precious I am trying to be about my guitars. The OP just reads a bit like the sadness that might come from watching someone makes love to your wife far better than you do.

kookaburra

If that's what made you understand how other people might dislike to hand over their guitar ... I'm here to tell you that's nothing. I let a bandmate borrow a guitar for a gig ... this is someone I played with already a few times and I knew that he handled his own guitars just fine. To my horror, the first thing he does in the first song is do a neck bend. Not a string bend. A neck bend. And that was just the start. I didn't even know a pick could put scratches like that on all in one evening (even on the top horn ... WTF?). On his own guitar he's like Eric Johnson with a bout of body aches. On my guitar he turned into Hendrix at Monterey Pop.

I don't treat my own stuff like priceless relics, so it wasn't about me watching my Van Gogh getting trashed. It was just shock .. and a lesson learned ..
Love the Johnson/Hendrix analogy!

PorkChop

Some people’s style is to make love to their guitar, some people’s is to f... it. They both work and it’s good to learn both.

ProfRhino

I never let anybody play my guitar on stage, but for an entirely different reason - it's part of being professional. :dunno
every player has their unique way of tuning and stretching the strings, goes hand in hand with their playing technique.
it's a delicate balance, especially with a trem.
after getting back my guitar, it usually takes me 2 or 3 songs to find my personal tuning balance again - why would I do that ? :nuts
wanna play my rig - sure, be my guest !
guitar - no, sorry. :nono

obviously, at home or in the studio I have no problem with that at all (unless I'm just preparing to record a track).

ymmv,
Rhino

RockDebris

I was at an open bar jam and I saw this guy I know pick up a wet bottle of Bud and use it for a slide on a guitar that one of the other jammers had let him play. It was a Tele thinline. It wasn’t even my guitar but I wanted to punch the guy in the nose. Total dick move.
Unless it was Danny Gatton. He would finish by cleaning it up with a towel while continuing to play and then also make me not want to play after him

s2y

I'll let friends play my stuff. Strangers? Only after I see how they treat their gear. The last time I made this mistake, I let a dude play my fretless bass and he started digging the strings into the fingerboard like he was trying to do SRV bends. Gouged it a bit.

I once saw a goth dude throw a fit at my local guitar shop when he wasn't allowed to play a nice Les Paul while he was covered in spikes.

Digital Larry

The first electric guitar I ever owned was a Yamaha SSC-500. I got it for $99 or $199 around 1983. The day I bought it I brought it to the place I was living where Gil Morales was hanging out. Maybe you know him. He was a pretty good guitar player so I let him try it out. After he was done he leaned it against the wall where it promptly fell over and took a half inch chunk out of the headstock. "Ooops", he said. Not "sorry", not "I'll get it fixed". Thanks Gil. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for you because of that.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I hate to let anyone touch my guitars because they don't wash their damned hands. The last thing that touches my hands before they touch a guitar are soap and water. It keeps the guitar nice and clean to play, keeps the frets and board clear of disgusting grunge that is filthy and eats frets. All it takes is one asshat and you've literally got sh!t all over your guitar.
I took my '91 Custom Shop Strat to Roger Sadowsky back in the day to see if it needed a fret job. He said it just needed a grind and polish and hooked me up.

When I went back to pick it up he asked me "Do you wash your hands before you play?" I said no and he shot me a dirty look. He said "These frets shouldn't be this worn so soon." and I got the message. I've been washing my hands before playing ever since.

Trending Topics