FINALLY, NGD of the Year (for me)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by stealthtastic, Jan 26, 2015.

1. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Supporting Member

I first saw this guitar around 2009 when my friend Dennis Kayzer purchased it and created an NGD thread on a few forums. I did not really know what to think of it, and quite frankly, I thought it was a little ugly.

Over time though, I started liking the shape more and more --- definitely an acquired taste. Eventually, I decided to check out Ulrich Teuffel’s website, and read more about his guitars.

For those who haven’t had a chance to check his site out, or haven’t heard of Teuffel, the detail and work that goes into these is nuts. Even the screws on this guitar are hand polished and buffed. The pickups are also very unique, the bridge pickup is essentially a hot PAF, but tweaked and the neck pickup is a single coil with two offset bobbins. One bobbin picks up bass strings and the other picks up the treble ones. The pickups are sealed in a vacuum chamber with a special sealing substance.

Anyways, I think about a year ago, I bought a 7 string Tesla from Buzzy at Lark Street Music. I loved it, but I sold it accidentally because I am a stupid gearwhore. I have bought/sold hundreds of guitars and have only regretted selling 2-3 of them; that Tesla was my #1 regret! Right after I sold it, I put in an order for a new 7, but Ulrich said it would take two years to make, so I needed something to hold me over.

Fast forward to a few months ago, Kayzer put his red one up for sale, unfortunately I had just splurged on some other gear and could not pick it up. Another friend ended up buying it instead! After a lot of harassment, I managed to convince my friend to sell it to me! :D

I am just as pleased with my first 7 string Teuffel as I am with this one. This one sounds a bit more refined and tighter though, which is a good thing for me.

Like I mentioned, I have owned guitars from pretty much every boutique builder out there, but Teuffel has features that put him ahead of the others (IMO) because they are something you cannot get anywhere else.
    ...what are these features?

• Ergonomics: I have nerve damage that affects my shoulders due to spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease. This usually means I can’t play too much on the lower frets because it forces me to extend my shoulder out, but this guitar doesn’t do that at all because of how compact the body is. It feels really really good to be able to play without nearly as much pain as a I experience when playing normal guitars.
    • Tone: The low end on these guitars especially is amazingly solid and punchy sounding. Tuning down on the guitar is usually a compromise that involves loosing attack, clarity, harmonic content due to larger strings and a few other factors...especially when you tune below C. With this guitar you can tune down very low while maintaining the same punch and tone you do in more conventional tunings. The Teuffel site and other places mention that the extended body is the reason that the low end is so solid sounding, but I didn't believe it at all until I actually played my Tesla 7! Its not marketing ******** like I had imagined before every trying one of these.
    • Playability: The guitar is very very easy to play. Maintains extremely low acton without compromising tone or sounding thin.
    Oh, and the knobs function as follows.

Top buttom = pickup selector

Three knobs by the strings = microphonic button, killswitch, and 60 cycle hum

...and then a vol + tone.

And now...pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. snarkle

snarkle Member

Nice! We're going to have to do that Teiffel/Klein comparison.

Teuffel's designs are so ergonomic that the first time I played a Tesla I didn't realize it was a 7-string at first... Wish I'd bought that one!

3. GasMask

GasMask Member

:spit

This has to be one of the greatest things ever said on TGP!

:bow:bow:bow

4. snarkle

snarkle Member

Ha! Note also that he's posting a "NGD of the Year" thread on January 26.

I can relate to both, though!

5. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

6. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

I've always thought Teuffel guitars were very cool looking. Congrats!

7. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

you need to put that "stupid gear whore" slogan on a t shirt!:rotflmao

Brilliant!

8. stealthtastic

Man, so this is why it was stupid.

>Listed it as a joke/feeler for $6500
    >Someone messages me in 30 min saying he can be at my office here in Vancouver with CASH

> I thought he was a flake...

>He showed up with $6500 and I was like...**** it?

...then immediately regretted it.

9. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

10. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Congrats! But we all know you'll get a massive GAS attack again and you will accidentally sell this one too. And yes, "stupid gearwhore" is one of the greatest phrases in TGP history.

11. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

Listed it as a joke...

Sold it accidentally...

LOL Take some accountability man! Neither of those are actually true... Your actions speak volumes!:rotflmao

But the regret... yeah thats legit!

I could never "accidentally" sell my #1 Tele- even as a "joke".

Just giving you are hard time for that "logic" LOL. Good to see you got back in the saddle!

12. snarkle

snarkle Member

Anyone want to loan me $6500 cash? :)

13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

that is just stunningly beautiful: that deep ruby tesla, there.
    congrats!

14. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

That is a beautiful looking instrument right there. Put a set of True Temperament frets on there, and i'd probably call it perfect.

15. trickness

trickness Analog with a side of DSP

Congrats man! Beautiful guitar

16. Cormorant_

Cormorant_ Member

17. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

18. s2y

s2y Member

You had me at headless 7 string.

19. stealthtastic

Thanks guys! Going to try and post a video soon.

20. Deft Tungsman

Deft Tungsman Member

Yo, Stealthtastic!

That is one beautiful Tesla, man. You are a very lucky gear slut. These amazing instruments don't come up for sale very often, so don't blow your second chance!!!