Finally, one of the most underplayed teles?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by biggreen, May 29, 2008.

1. biggreen

biggreen Member

I have had one of these on my shopping list since about 98'. I kind of wish I had bought one back then when they were MIJ, but oh well. I actually had to sift threw 3 of them across 2 stores to find one that didn't have horrible craftsmanship in atleast 1 area and even this one had a bad set up, stuck tuner that i had to work in with some WD40 just to get it to turn at all, not to mention it is put together with 4 different chunks of ash.. lol. ahh, good enough for the girls I usually date though.

Some observations.

- Why does a 'thinline' tele weigh more than my AS strat? lol.

- with some 10-46 this guitar is nealy as loud unplugged as an old ovation round back I had... :rolleyes:

- The WR pickups actually sound good, usefull in all 3 positions, the tone knob however, not so much. New cap maybe?

- I have never considered relicing any guitar I have owned, but this one is begging to be refinished in nitro with some dark orange neck tint ala. [​IMG]http://cgi.ebay.com/1972-FENDER-THINLINE-TELECASTER-REISSUE-RELIC_W0QQitemZ250247921695QQihZ015QQcategoryZ38083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

- for such an awesome and different sounding, cool looking tele, it seems weird you don't see more of them, which is just fine by me! :BEER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. biggreen

biggreen Member

3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Those Fender Thinlines are really sweet! Congratulations...

4. rustneversleeps

rustneversleeps Member

I've always shied away from anything not a sold body, but your new acquisition is making me rethink my stance. Good luck with it!

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Four pieces? I had a four piece tele that sounded great!

I wouldn't try the refinish & relic idea. Poly is a bear to remove and rarely looks right with a relic job.

Nice guitar, enjoy!

6. biggreen

biggreen Member

I don't know, looks pretty sweet... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I have one that was basically a throw in on a deal and i had every intention of re-selling it immediately............until i plugged it in and hit my TS808 pedal. I'll be holding onto it for a while. Only gripe is the crappy tuners that came stock with it.

8. biggreen

biggreen Member

Were they crappy in 72, or is the problem with the production quality now?

I am going to get a cowgirl waterslide decal for it. After seeing so many on guitars here, it has inspired me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...PageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021#ebayphotohosting

9. strat6866

strat6866 Member

Dont know about the real 72s but the new MIM reissues have less than stellar tuners.

10. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

Sweet looking Thinline. Congrats! :AOK