Finally played a Boss GT-8 = Love it!

tele_jas

I've never been interested in the Boss multi-FX pedals and always wanted the newest and "best" modeling pedals out, so always went with Line 6 and then the Tube hype in the Tonelab (I'll admit, it does VOX really good).

Today, I traded my Tonelab LE for a Boss GT-8 and am totally 110% happy with my trade! Doesn't quite do the AC30 thing quiet as well, or authentic, but close enough. Where it does win is about every other FX and pedal it models. I've had reservations about playing out with just my Tonelab, but after about 4 hours with the GT-8, I'm fairly confident it'll get the job done.

I will also admit that the Tonelab is 200% easier to program. It's almost a "what you see is what you get" type of pedal.... Not the GT-8. The sub-menu's have sub-menu's and then some of those have sub-menu's too?!!?

I think I've just touched the tip of the iceberg on it, but I can see this is going to be a handy tool and just wish I tried the Boss stuff sooner.

Last edited:

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I'm still using a 1999 vintage Boss GT-3 for all effects except dirt. I don't use any of the amp modelling either, but it's a great unit that I bought for $50. I just run my Wampler and Barber overdrives in the external loop.

+1 on the GT units! I use a GT10 with Wampler and Carl Martin dirt pedals in its loop, set to the front of the chain. The delays, reverbs and modulation effects are fantastic and ultra flexible. No desire to fiddle with any other stand alone effects, and for the price, this is definitely the best bang for the buck Imo.

TRJB

tele_jas

Do you use the amp modelling or just the effects?
Couldn't answer this until this evening... I'm running it into a Crate Powerblock, into a 1x12 Avatar cab with a Celestion Gold. I like Vox-y tones, so I am using the Matchless Fat model for my base tone. GREAT chime and fuller than an AC30 amp model. This in combination with the Gold, sounds really killer. GREAT Cleans and edge of breakup tones, then to top it off I get amazing classic rock, blues and hi-gain tones too.

I really love this pedal and can't wait until I actually know what i'm doing with programming it :)

rsm

I still have my original ToneLab tabletop, and I used a ToneLab LE for a few years, it was the first modeler I used direct on gigs. I've been through many modelers, and currently use the Boss GT-100 direct or into 1-2 Roland Cube-80GX (effects only). It's the first modeler where I don't feel I'm missing anything, have to compromise or create workarounds.

If you dig the GT-8 after the "honeymoon", you should consider having a look at the GT-100.

I'll admit, I have GAS for the Helix, but at this point it has more than I need or would likely use, and the GT-100 is working great for me, and also has more than I need but I learn more every time I use it.

edit: I also wish I tried the Boss stuff sooner too. I was concerned about the "cocked wah" criticisms of COSM, well no problems with the GT-100!

Last edited:

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
I used a GT-8 for years into the front of a JCM 800's low input. Used it just for effects, and ran a Barber Burn Unit and RAT in the ext loop of the GT for my drive sounds.

tele_jas

If you have a reasonable quality USB/Midi adapter, try the free GT-8FxFloorBoard editor.
It comes bundled with a heap of patches to try too.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/GT-8FxFloorBoard/

It will also help with a graphical overview of all GT-8's settings and effects.
I probably need to check into getting a midi to USB adapter. But as often as I trade gear, I need be sure I'm going to keep the GT-8 first ;) (before sinking any money into accessories).... That's just my nature, but so far I'm liking this way better than any modeler or multi-fx pedal I've ever owned.

Mr. Brady

I always liked the Boss floorboards for use with a live amp. They sounded very good using the 4 cable method with a tube amp. I liked them better for just effects and using their pre-amps than the line 6 stuff I had. I could never get them to sound good to me direct to the board though as a pure amp modeler. The tone always had this fizz and cocked wah sound to the distortion that I could never dial out so I sold my GT8 that I had.

stratoskier

I'm also using a GT-8 for effects only. I run a couple of ODs before the GT's input and the output runs into the front end of various tube or SS amps.

The only effects I've found lacking on the GT8 are 1) its' octave fuzz which is pretty digital sounding and 2) the limitation on dual long delays. I have a couple of tunes that require 2 stupid long delays (~700ms and 1400ms) and you can't get them both within the GT8. The max time in the dual delay algorithm in the main delay section is 900 ms each, and the max in the sub delay (FX2 section) is 400ms. Hence the need for an outboard delay box. But how often do you really need that much delay?

Otherwise, the GT8 covers all the bases and while I hope to snag a GT100 at some point, I'm content for now. And I'm really fond of all the front panel buttons and dials.

Last edited:

tele_jas

I went back and watched some videos of the Saturday's show and I was really impressed with the over-all tone I got!

Granted, I have "my" sound and I dial in all my amps to sound very similar.... So, they're all going to be close and "like me" no matter what I own, but some are a little harder to get there. But I was still happily impressed and could have fooled a few people if they didn't see what I was actually playing.

I just ran it into a Crate PowerBlock. I'm going to dial in some fx only patches to use with my Mesa and Dr. Z for some of the gigs where my full pedalboard eats up too much space on a small stage.

micycle

The GT pedals were a staple of my rig from the first GT up until the GT10 which was a huge letdown.. I loved the GT100 but was too little too late and I think I just needed a change.

You've got a sweet board there! The GT8 was my personal favorite out of all of 'em. The 100 is maybe a tie or a super close 2nd, but the 8 sounded best out of all of 'em through my now-retired Power Engine 60s. To me that's the last GT they put out where they really took a leap in functionality and the cool things that the GT series is capable of.

tele_jas

Let me ask you guys this.... I want to use the volume pedal as a "solo" volume boost, the actual "solo" feature doesn't do enough to bump me up. I even tried assigning the ctl pedal to increase the preset 20 steps and that isn't enough.

I've set the volume on the pedal with a min of 50 and max at 100 (normal swell), but that's still not enough of a boost and I'm wondering if that's pre FX or amp model? The way I want to use it is at the end of the chain to get the volume boost and I can't figure out how to change that?

Any suggestions info on how to change that?

stratoskier

Did you already try raising the amount of boost provided by the Solo function? I think the default value is 50, but it's not a fixed constant. "Solo Level" is the last parameter of the preamp parameters.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
There is tons of fun in the Boss boxes. So much in there to play around with.

tele_jas

Did you already try raising the amount of boost provided by the Solo function? I think the default value is 50, but it's not a fixed constant. "Solo Level" is the last parameter of the preamp parameters.
Ahhh, no I didn't see that?!?! I got the GT-8 Friday night after work, went to a movie with the family and got home about 9pm and worked on it until 1am. Got up Saturday, mowed and got ready for the cookout (we had Sunday), then left for the gig at 3pm. I discovered many things "on the fly" at the gig, but other than that I haven't really had much of a chance to get real deep into it yet. I have read a lot of the manual, because it's a must with this, but I couldn't find any specifics on the solo or volume pedal that were what I needed.

I'll probably mess with it tonight or tomorrow (my day off). I'll copy my presets to a different bank and mess with those so I don't screw the good ones up, just yet ;)

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
When they first came out I bought one for my son. He really likes it.

stratoskier

I couldn't find any specifics on the solo or volume pedal that were what I needed.
Yeah, the only place I see it in the manual is in the parameter chart on p 27. You might want to also check out the "GT-8 Brilliance" doc. I presume it is still floating around somewhere out there. That doc is kind of a compilation of GT-8 tips, tricks and cautions from the now defunct GT Central forum. There is some good stuff in there, but also a lot of confusing debris. Pick and choose.

Trending Topics