Finally played a Marshall 1974x!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KissTone, May 17, 2008.

1. KissTone

KissTone Supporting Member

Come to think of it, I finally played a Marshall . . . period! I've been playing 25 years and never played a Marshall.:eek:

Anyway, a buddy has the reissue 1974x, and he offered to loan it to me for the weekend. I played for about an hour this afternoon with my Strat. Wow! Great, thick sound!

I was surprised how much high end it has---well, too much, really with the Strat. I kept the amp's tone knob below 3 or it would get harsh.

The trem really pulses and throbs.

It didn't really like my TS pedals as much as I thought it might --- both a Maxon OD9 and a Silver Analogman --- they made it sound a bit hollow. But really, who needs a TS with this thing? I did use my Ross compressor clone and sometimes either verb or delay---and it was awesome.

I may have to sell my tweed Deluxe clone and get a nice 1974x kit so I can mix my two favorite activities ( . . . . burning myself with a soldering iron and swearing).:rolleyes:

2. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Great amps, I think the clones generally sound better than the reissues. That may be due to a new speaker in the reissue. They may sound 10 times better once broken in.

Check out 18watt.com if you are really interested.

3. KissTone

This speaker may be broken in as my friend is the amp's second owner. But it sure sounds great regardless. I also ran my Deluxe through the speaker/cab just to hear it---and it sounded really cool. I wonder how much of what I'm liking has to do with that big box?

Also, I think I spoke too soon on the TS pedals. The more I try them today, the better I like what I hear. Oh, this is GAS, isn't it?

4. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Nah, it's not gas. You actually do need one. :rotflmao

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Really?!?!??!?!

1974x are pretty sweet.
    I love the weight too!

6. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I love my 1974x........ killer amp. I have a few Strats, a Tele and a SG that I play through it and they all sound sweet.

I usually A/B my Dr Z Maz 18 and the 1974x at gigs........covers everything I need for Blues and Classic rock.

These two amps have stopped my GAS for a while now!

7. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

AMEN brother!:bkw

8. Unabender

Unabender Member

True. Also, general consensus seems to be you really need a good output transformer with a 18 watter to really deliver the goods. I suggest going for the kits that include Heyboer or MM or GDS transformers. They are very good for the money.

Having said that, I built mine with a generic Hammond output transformer, and it sounds fine... But I can't help thinking it would sound even better with a OT made especially for a 18 watter...

9. KissTone

That Soultone kit looks like it's got the good stuff. And I just told myself that I was done for a while: no new gear . . .

I have no willpower.

10. tantramar

tantramar Member

I have one of Mickey's Soultone Wilbur amps (based on both the 1974x and 2061x circuit architecture). It is a killer amp for that 18watt tone. The kits look like a great buy for the money.

11. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

It's my only amp. I want for nothing else at the moment.

Strats definitely prefer the non-trem channel. A lot thicker on that side. The non-trem channel is also more pedal friendly. An OCD sounds great with this amp.

-Mike

12. mbetter

mbetter Member

:rotflmao

13. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

I have an 18 watt clone that has the TMB channel instead of the trem. It also has a speacial pu;; boost that can pull the tone circuit out of that channel and put it in the vol tone channel. It is built into a bluebreaker 2 x 12 cabinet. I have been waiting for this tone my entire life. It is just awesome. gives up the goods t low vols and sounds killer